WTF? You Can Rent Electric Cars Without Having a License in Taiwan

Cars, motorcycles, and scooters in Taiwan. Here's where the greasemonkeys and gearheads talk shop. Oh, and if you're looking to buy a used car, check out the vehicle listings at www.taiwanted.com.

WTF? You Can Rent Electric Cars Without Having a License in Taiwan

Postby ThreadKiller » Sat Feb 27, 2016 02:14

Chinese tourist dies after Kending electric car crash
Yang’s death was the first fatality related to electric cars in the Kending area, where such vehicles are popular with visitors from China, Hong Kong and Macao because they can be rented by people who do not have a driver’s license.

There have been three electric car crashes in the area this month, while there were 28 last year.

Some idiotic loophole?

I'm very much for supporting electric cars, but think that just 'cos a vehicle doesn't run on gas doesn't mean it can't be a machine of death.
"Sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here." (Melvin Udall)
ThreadKiller
Taiwanease Royalty

Has given kudos: 1700 times
Has gotten kudos: 909 times

Re: WTF? You Can Rent Electric Cars Without Having a License in Taiwan

Postby TainanCowboy » Sat Feb 27, 2016 07:48

Darwin in action.
The facts expressed here belong to everybody. The opinions are mine.
I don’t post political comments or articles to convince those who disagree with me,
I post them so that those who might agree with such positions will know they are not alone.
Some things are opinions and can be argued - some things are facts and cannot.
Proverbs, Chapter 16 verse 9 <--- When in doubt, remember this.
TainanCowboy
Taiwanease Royalty

Has given kudos: 793 times
Has gotten kudos: 489 times

Postby Big Vern » Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:37

ICRT reported this as an electric scooter driven by a Japanese woman with a guy on the back. Journalistic standards in Taiwan, discuss. :lol:

:ponder:

In China electric scooters are nicknamed "silent death". Up until 2013 one could ride a three wheeler in the UK without a license, so these weird anomalies are not unique to Taiwan. I am very surprised that an electric car doesn't need a license, though. In fact, I would place money on a journalistic cock-up.

EDIT: Here's a picture of the car in question:

http://focustaiwan.tw/news/asoc/201602240006.aspx

:doh: It is only the Taipei Times, bless 'em.
Big Vern
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 545 times
Has gotten kudos: 864 times

Postby Toad » Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:03

I'm fairly sure you still need a license to drive a Prius or a Leaf in Taiwan. Possibly a bad translation from the character for transport-in-general ('車’)?

I'm very much for supporting electric cars, but think that just 'cos a vehicle doesn't run on gas doesn't mean it can't be a machine of death.

Most people don't seem to grasp that a gasoline one can also be a machine of death.
Toad
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Has given kudos: 956 times
Has gotten kudos: 704 times

Postby Icon » Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:09

I believe if one is not familiar with driving scooters, one should not drive any scooter, electric or gas. That gies for all vehicles.

TBH, I drove a 4 wheel electric vehicle without a license in Taidong. It is rented along with bikes and electric scooters. Truth be told, it cannot go that fast, but it does share the road with some mean six wheelers, making it a bit dangerous as it is light and can be easily be sucked in or pushed if too close. In that case, no helmet will save you.

Basically, buyer beware and all that jazz.

As to journalistic standards...
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Eat the delicious food. Walk in the sunshine. Jump in the ocean. Say the truth that you’re carrying in your heart like hidden treasure. Be silly. Be kind. Be weird. There’s no time for anything else
Icon
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 574 times
Has gotten kudos: 853 times

Postby Bu Lai En » Sat Feb 27, 2016 21:18

You need a license to rent an electric scooter but not to ride an electric bicycle.
Bu Lai En
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 154 times
Has gotten kudos: 229 times

Return to Cars, Scooters, and Driving in Taiwan