Run on toilet paper

Taiwan Forums at Taiwanease can make your life in Taiwan easier.

Moderator: ThreadKiller

Run on toilet paper

Postby Dragonbones » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:42

Really? Is there really a run on TP here? What the...?
“To cook for the pleasure of it, to devote a portion of our leisure to it, is to declare our independence from the corporations seeking to organize our every waking moment into yet another occasion for consumption." --Michael Pollan
Dragonbones
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 524 times
Has gotten kudos: 1041 times

Re: Run on toilet paper

Postby Big Vern » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:52

I've seen it all over the media, but haven't experienced it while out shopping. There is a tendency for this lemming type of behaviour. Like when people stock up with a fortnight's worth of supplies before every typhoon, and then have to throw stuff away when it goes bad just like they did the previous typhoon. And the typhoon before that.

I can't see how a 10-30% increase in something as cheap as toilet paper is worth filling up one's apartment with the stuff. But, every little helps I guess. Other products go up in price all the time and people don't panic buy it. :idunno:
Big Vern
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 545 times
Has gotten kudos: 864 times

Postby Dragonbones » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:06

Must have something to do with the idea of running out of TP being terrifying.
“To cook for the pleasure of it, to devote a portion of our leisure to it, is to declare our independence from the corporations seeking to organize our every waking moment into yet another occasion for consumption." --Michael Pollan
Dragonbones
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 524 times
Has gotten kudos: 1041 times

Postby Big Vern » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:24

Dragonbones wrote:Must have something to do with the idea of running out of TP being terrifying.

Good point. I'd better pop down Carrefour.
Big Vern
Taiwanease Deity

Postby Corns » Tue Feb 27, 2018 13:36

I think Chinese people have a secret toilet paper fetish.....seriously... :lol: :lol: My wife is always complaining that I use too much!! :lol: :lol: :grin:
Chairman of Overseas Canadians United in Nominating Trump

You're actually a nihilistic sociopath wrapped up in a Canadian flag pretending to be some giant intellect tapping away from a southern French shed.---Broonale
Corns
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 128 times
Has gotten kudos: 212 times

Postby Big Vern » Tue Feb 27, 2018 13:56

I went to Carrefour during my lunch break and the media reports are true. It was insane. Every bugger there had a trolley fall of toilet paper and tissue paper. I've never seen anything like it. Admittedly this was in Neili so there is a high peasant per square meter ratio, but even so it was shocking.

I've never seen the good folk of Nankan behave in such a way, although I'm sure this will change now we have been made part of Taoyuan City.
Big Vern
Taiwanease Deity

Postby sandman » Tue Feb 27, 2018 15:48

I heard tell there was a massive run on Pokemon Go a little while back. Came to nothing. A fad for the dumb sheeple, nothing more. Still, makes for good fodder for the weird news of the day. (Actually, the deal is that tp will go up in price from NT$200 per 12-pack to ... GASP!!!!! NT$260!!!!! Call out the national guard!) Feckin' eedjits. I am SO determined to ride my scooter all over town in search of that elusive bum-smoother for the MASSIVE saving of NT$60 bucks. Feckin' eedjits. Just this morning I used 7 -- count 'em! SEVEN sheets of double-ply. I yam an inconsiderate citizen.
sandman
Taiwanease Royalty

Has given kudos: 309 times
Has gotten kudos: 826 times

Postby Just Jennifer » Tue Feb 27, 2018 15:59

I popped into Cosmed in my neighborhood (Zhongshan/Minquan intersection) for some makeup and thought I'd pick up some TP too. They only the Winnie the Pooh tissues that people use as napkins so I think I'll wait until everyone restocks. There's always soap and water, folks.
Make magical, musical memories with your child at Kindermusik with Jennifer Joy
[url]http://www.fb.com/kmjoytaiwan[/url]
Just Jennifer
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Has given kudos: 1809 times
Has gotten kudos: 315 times

Postby Big Vern » Tue Feb 27, 2018 16:08

Of course, when they do restock everyone will have loads of toilet paper at home so they won't be selling any. They'll probably end up selling it at discount to shift the unwanted stock.

These users gave kudos to the author Big Vern for the post:
Just Jennifer (Tue Feb 27, 2018 16:57)
Big Vern
Taiwanease Deity

Postby sandman » Tue Feb 27, 2018 16:20

Reminds me of an angry letter in Viz Magazine, complaining how dogs have the Rolls Royces of bumholes, able to drop those logs with nary a smear, while humans, on the other hand, have the equivalent of a clapped-out Skoda poop-chute. Totally unfair, IMO.

These users gave kudos to the author sandman for the post (total 2):
Kal El (Thu Mar 01, 2018 07:25) • Bunks (Wed Feb 28, 2018 13:08)
sandman
Taiwanease Royalty

Has given kudos: 309 times
Has gotten kudos: 826 times

Postby shiadoa » Tue Feb 27, 2018 19:57

sandman wrote:Reminds me of an angry letter in Viz Magazine, complaining how dogs have the Rolls Royces of bumholes, able to drop those logs with nary a smear, while humans, on the other hand, have the equivalent of a clapped-out Skoda poop-chute. Totally unfair, IMO.

These users gave kudos to the author shiadoa for the post:
Icon (Tue Feb 27, 2018 22:49)
shiadoa
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 184 times
Has gotten kudos: 289 times

Postby Big Vern » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:09

This is so embarrassing.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/ ... -in-taiwan

I'm surprised I haven't been receiving any stick from my mates back home, yet. It's in all the British newspapers. The perfect storm for piss-taking: toilet paper, tiny amount of money, where do you live again? When I go back in the summer for my annual time off for good behavior this is all I'm going to be hearing about. "Vern, mate, we bought you some toilet paper" har har har.
Big Vern
Taiwanease Deity

Postby Bunks » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:51

Big Vern wrote:This is so embarrassing.

I'm surprised I haven't been receiving any stick from my mates back home, yet. It's in all the British newspapers. The perfect storm for piss-taking: toilet paper, tiny amount of money, where do you live again? When I go back in the summer for my annual time off for good behavior this is all I'm going to be hearing about. "Vern, mate, we bought you some toilet paper" har har har.

Vern, I say this with a fair degree of certainty, nobody over here knows about your toilet paper news story.

We English panic bought petrol and left it in open jerry cans during the fuel strikes. This type of lunacy is therefore not the exclusive domain of the Taiwanese. I would say panic buying might be more a tendency among nations with a history of things running out for certain reasons, such as adverse weather, government ineptitude, corruption etc. But herd mentality is a wonderful and curious facet of humanity in general. We are all seemingly squirrels, trying to gather nuts for winter.
Bunks
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Has given kudos: 202 times
Has gotten kudos: 337 times

Postby Big Vern » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:59

Bunks wrote:
Big Vern wrote:This is so embarrassing.

Vern, I say this with a fair degree of certainty, nobody over here knows about your toilet paper news story.

We English panic bought petrol and left it in open jerry cans during the fuel strikes. This type of lunacy is therefore not the exclusive domain of the Taiwanese. I would say panic buying might be more a tendency among nations with a history of things running out for certain reasons, such as adverse weather, government ineptitude, corruption etc. But herd mentality is a wonderful and curious facet of humanity in general. We are all seemingly squirrels, trying to gather nuts for winter.

You are right, of course. It's a people thing, not a subset of people thing. I can see how I gave the impression that I thought the latter, and probably I did. I'd still be willing to bet a couple of Bitcoins that I won't be hearing the end of this come July.
Big Vern
Taiwanease Deity

Postby Bunks » Wed Feb 28, 2018 13:07

Vern, the first sentence was a reply to you. The rest was one of my general assorted ramblings on the subject.

Bitcoins! What a wonderful Ponzi scheme.
Bunks
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Has given kudos: 202 times
Has gotten kudos: 337 times

Next

Return to Living in Taiwan