Quincy Jones is very funny

Books, music, films, movies, TV shows, etc. - this is the place for it! A & E topics related to Taiwan or China should be posted in the Culture & History Forum.

Moderator: ThreadKiller

Quincy Jones is very funny

Postby Big Vern » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:32

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2018/ ... -the-world

The comments about poor old Ringo are great. I love the sign off - "Great guy, though". :lol:

I have the feeling the old chap might be losing the plot a bit, especially with the JFK and Ivanka Trump stuff.
Big Vern
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 545 times
Has gotten kudos: 864 times

Re: Quincy Jones is very funny

Postby cranky laowai » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:01

“They were no-playing motherfuckers. Paul [McCartney] was the worst bass player I ever heard.”

Huh?

cranky laowai
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Has given kudos: 163 times
Has gotten kudos: 443 times

Postby cfimages » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:07

I just read the full interview earlier this morning. Well worth it.

http://www.vulture.com/2018/02/quincy-j ... ation.html

This is an even better one I saw last week.

https://www.gq.com/story/quincy-jones-has-a-story
cfimages
Taiwanease Royalty

Has given kudos: 687 times
Has gotten kudos: 910 times

Postby Toad » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:40

Big Vern wrote:I have the feeling the old chap might be losing the plot a bit, especially with the JFK and Ivanka Trump stuff.

Later in the interview, Jones called Trump senior “a fucking idiot”.

Well, he's obviously still got a few of his marbles.

I have to say, I've never understood the fuss about the Beatles. A lot of their music is, to my admittedly unprofessional ear, horribly unsophisticated (even in historical context). McCartney got a bit better on the bass eventually, but personally I think his basslines vary somewhere between unmemorable and strange. I suppose some would say 'innovative' or 'idiosyncratic'.
Toad
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Has given kudos: 956 times
Has gotten kudos: 704 times

Postby Big Vern » Thu Feb 08, 2018 13:28

Toad wrote:
I have to say, I've never understood the fuss about the Beatles. A lot of their music is, to my admittedly unprofessional ear, horribly unsophisticated (even in historical context). McCartney got a bit better on the bass eventually, but personally I think his basslines vary somewhere between unmemorable and strange. I suppose some would say 'innovative' or 'idiosyncratic'.

From your posting history I have you down as an erudite man so, please, take a few hours off and listen to the Beatles and reassess. Doesn't matter which album.

These users gave kudos to the author Big Vern for the post (total 2):
jimipresley (Thu Feb 08, 2018 22:10) • Tempo Gain (Thu Feb 08, 2018 22:05)
Big Vern
Taiwanease Deity

Postby Toad » Thu Feb 08, 2018 23:15

One of the first albums I bought - come to think of it, it might have been THE first - was a Beatles one. Magical Mystery Tour, IIRC. I remember liking it at the time, but then again I was about 10. I still like Penny Lane. I've listened to a bit more of their music, on and off, over the years, and just never really got into it. Compared to their contemporaries, one gets the impression they didn't put in a whole lot of effort. Fair enough, they must have been doing something right to be that famous, but to my ear 70-80% of their oeuvre meanders between bland, slovenly, and drug-induced taking-the-piss.

But I guess that's just me :idunno:
Toad
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Postby Big Vern » Thu Feb 08, 2018 23:25

Just out of interest, which of their contemporaries put in more effort?
Big Vern
Taiwanease Deity

Postby Tempo Gain » Thu Feb 08, 2018 23:27

Yeah, do you like rock in general Toad?
Tempo Gain
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 136 times
Has gotten kudos: 167 times

Postby Toad » Fri Feb 09, 2018 13:38

Big Vern wrote:Just out of interest, which of their contemporaries put in more effort?

Just my impression - I wasn't there - but IMO The Kinks, The Who, and The Yardbirds (just off the top of my head) took their craft a bit more seriously, but maybe that's just because I like their music more. Barrett-era Pink Floyd borrowed rather heavily from the Beatles but eventually developed a distinctive (and, again, much more refined) voice than them. Not sure if Led Zeppelin or Bowie could be considered "contemporary" .. I suppose the Beatles had pretty much had their day by the time they reached the top of their game. Come to think of it, the Beatles really only produced anything of note between (roughly) 1963 and 1968. That's a pretty unimpressive run even by modern music-industry standards.

That's without even considering the guys on the other side of the pond, many of whom were extremely professional and talented, possibly because the music scene was that much bigger and therefore exerted more competitive pressure. The Beatles were riding along on their own fame much of the time. I'd rather listen to the Stones than the Beatles, but I suspect they also were just enjoying the ride.
Toad
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Postby sandman » Fri Feb 09, 2018 14:11

I recall an interview with John Lennon in which he said that all their tunes are basically "Three Blind Mice." Never really was a Beatles fan. They had some good tunes, though. I was always more of a Stones kind of guy. And Alex Harvey. And AC/DC. But hell! Them moptops made a shitload of dosh.
sandman
Taiwanease Royalty

Has given kudos: 309 times
Has gotten kudos: 826 times

Postby Big Vern » Fri Feb 09, 2018 14:55

sandman wrote: And AC/DC.

You're just biased on account of them being Australians.

These users gave kudos to the author Big Vern for the post:
sandman (Fri Feb 09, 2018 15:13)
Big Vern
Taiwanease Deity

Postby Toad » Fri Feb 09, 2018 16:32

sandman wrote:I recall an interview with John Lennon in which he said that all their tunes are basically "Three Blind Mice." Never really was a Beatles fan. They had some good tunes, though. I was always more of a Stones kind of guy. And Alex Harvey. And AC/DC. But hell! Them moptops made a shitload of dosh.

My favourite quote from Lennon (he of the peace and love blather) was something to the effect that if he had a nuclear bomb, he'd drop it on the Philippines. And I don't think he was joking. This was after they'd been fleeced and roughed up in an episode of Marcos-era thuggery (don't know what else they expected, really, but I guess they were thinking of the $$$).

As regards McCartney specifically, have a look at his bizarre plucking style, which no doubt informed his eccentric basslines. Not saying that unconventional technique is, like, evil, and I'm certainly not saying eccentric=bad, but there's a reason the right thumb (McCartney is left-handed) normally rests on the pickup or the low B:

Now listen to (and watch) Jack Bruce. Not a Cream fan myself, but the musical ability of this lot is a serious step up from the Beatles:

Toad
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Postby Big Vern » Fri Feb 09, 2018 17:06

Jimi Hendrix, Miles Davis and Tony Williams were planning to record together in 1969. They wanted McCartney on bass. Unfortunately, Hendrix died before it could happen.
Big Vern
Taiwanease Deity

Postby Corns » Fri Feb 09, 2018 17:51

Love this quote from Pryor`s ex-wife who responded to Quincy`s revelation that Brando slept with Pryor.

Following the publication of Jones' interview, Pryor's widow Jennifer confirmed to TMZ that the comedian had sex with Marlon Brando. "It was the Seventies! Drugs were still good, especially quaaludes," she told TMZ of the hookup. "If you did enough cocaine, you'd fuck a radiator and send it flowers in the morning."
:lol: :lol: :lol:

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/news ... mp-w516472
Chairman of Overseas Canadians United in Nominating Trump

You're actually a nihilistic sociopath wrapped up in a Canadian flag pretending to be some giant intellect tapping away from a southern French shed.---Broonale

These users gave kudos to the author Corns for the post:
Big Vern (Fri Feb 09, 2018 21:13)
Corns
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 128 times
Has gotten kudos: 212 times

Return to Arts & Entertainment