Taiwan Earthquakes 2018

Taiwan Forums at Taiwanease can make your life in Taiwan easier.

Moderator: ThreadKiller

Taiwan Earthquakes 2018

Postby Dragonbones » Wed Jan 17, 2018 14:01

Quite a sharp little one there just now! (Nangang)
“To cook for the pleasure of it, to devote a portion of our leisure to it, is to declare our independence from the corporations seeking to organize our every waking moment into yet another occasion for consumption." --Michael Pollan
Dragonbones
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 524 times
Has gotten kudos: 1041 times

Re: Taiwan Earthquakes 2018

Postby cranky laowai » Wed Jan 17, 2018 14:11

That one was up north for a change. It's hard to tell from the little map they provide, but it looks like it was centered around Luzhou.

And it was a 5.7. Fortunately, it was also 140 km deep. If it had been shallower, it could have been a lot more scary.

cranky laowai
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Has given kudos: 163 times
Has gotten kudos: 443 times

Postby Icon » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:08

They say that the volocanoes were not involved. I do not know if one should be relieved by that information.

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/front/a ... 2003685980
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Eat the delicious food. Walk in the sunshine. Jump in the ocean. Say the truth that you’re carrying in your heart like hidden treasure. Be silly. Be kind. Be weird. There’s no time for anything else
Icon
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 574 times
Has gotten kudos: 853 times

Postby Big Vern » Sun Feb 04, 2018 22:00

That was a long one.
Big Vern
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 545 times
Has gotten kudos: 864 times

Postby jimipresley » Sun Feb 04, 2018 22:59

Yeah, that one I felt. I don't normally, as I'm naturally swaying.
Do you ever listen to yourself? - maoman

How clever of you to take an orange and a dog biscuit and build a time machine. - Bunks

Some countries cultivate vast populations of idiots for the purpose of maintaining sham democracies. - Toad

These users gave kudos to the author jimipresley for the post:
Big Vern (Mon Feb 05, 2018 17:16)
jimipresley
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 2514 times
Has gotten kudos: 1527 times

Postby Icon » Mon Feb 05, 2018 00:33

Freezing my derriere here, as I do not dare to keep the heater on during quakes.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Eat the delicious food. Walk in the sunshine. Jump in the ocean. Say the truth that you’re carrying in your heart like hidden treasure. Be silly. Be kind. Be weird. There’s no time for anything else
Icon
Taiwanease Deity

Postby Dragonbones » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:43

Icon wrote:Freezing my derriere here, as I do not dare to keep the heater on during quakes.

Why dare you not?
“To cook for the pleasure of it, to devote a portion of our leisure to it, is to declare our independence from the corporations seeking to organize our every waking moment into yet another occasion for consumption." --Michael Pollan
Dragonbones
Taiwanease Deity

Postby Icon » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:13

Dragonbones wrote:
Icon wrote:Freezing my derriere here, as I do not dare to keep the heater on during quakes.

Why dare you not?

While it may turn itself off when tilted, I worry about the heated surface touching the floor. Friggin plastic floors.
Icon
Taiwanease Deity

Postby Big Vern » Mon Feb 05, 2018 17:23

Icon wrote:
Dragonbones wrote:

Why dare you not?

While it may turn itself off when tilted, I worry about the heated surface touching the floor. Friggin plastic floors.

I'm trying to figure this one out and struggling. You're worried that the heater may fall over and burn the plastic? It's really not going to happen, but if it does the earthquake will be so severe that melted plastic will be a minor concern.
Big Vern
Taiwanease Deity

Postby Dragonbones » Mon Feb 05, 2018 21:13

Icon wrote:
Dragonbones wrote:

Why dare you not?

Seriously!?! Why the heck would you buy PLASTIC floors? :facepalm: :lol: Híjole, no sé lo que estabas pensando... :lol:

(Sorry, just having a go at you.) :grin:

These users gave kudos to the author Dragonbones for the post:
Icon (Tue Feb 06, 2018 22:50)
Dragonbones
Taiwanease Deity

Postby Big Vern » Tue Feb 06, 2018 23:54

I'll be the first to say I didn't feel a thing there.
Big Vern
Taiwanease Deity

Postby jimipresley » Wed Feb 07, 2018 05:51

I collapsed in the lounge at around 11 PM. Woke up at 5 AM to an enormous crack in the wall and mass hysteria on Facebook. Thank Odin and Jah for letting me sleep through it. Stay safe!
Do you ever listen to yourself? - maoman

How clever of you to take an orange and a dog biscuit and build a time machine. - Bunks

Some countries cultivate vast populations of idiots for the purpose of maintaining sham democracies. - Toad
jimipresley
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 2514 times
Has gotten kudos: 1527 times

Postby Icon » Wed Feb 07, 2018 06:35

jimipresley wrote:I collapsed in the lounge at around 11 PM. Woke up at 5 AM to an enormous crack in the wall and mass hysteria on Facebook. Thank Odin and Jah for letting me sleep through it. Stay safe!

Lucky you. My mother decided to stage a hysterical fit. After 20 years here, she still has not mastered the art of figuring out the time difference. So calling madly since 2am and freaking out when I do not answer is her way of showing she cares. I try to explain I have to go to work...she thinks we get the day off and I should lister to her religious rambles...

Oh and she got all my FB family members to write in the message I had left stating I was OK. Call her, she is worried, they write. Why don't they tell her or get a map?!

These users gave kudos to the author Icon for the post:
jimipresley (Wed Feb 07, 2018 06:50)
Icon
Taiwanease Deity

Postby Kal El » Wed Feb 07, 2018 08:25

jimipresley wrote:Yeah, that one I felt. I don't normally, as I'm naturally swaying.

Yep, I felt that one, too. My building was swaying for a good minute. No jolt or up and down, just swaying.
Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash.
Sir Winston Churchill

Heathen filth, the lot of you.
Dr Kurt Langstrom

人不可貌相,海水不可斗量
Kal El
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 1191 times
Has gotten kudos: 1132 times

Postby sandman » Wed Feb 07, 2018 13:15

The metro stopped in the tunnel between stations and the lights went out. That was unnerving. Then it moved at walking pace until my stop. Didn't get home until after 1 a.m. Then up at 5:50 a.m. to get the kid ready, breakfasted and out. I YAM the walking dead!
sandman
Taiwanease Royalty

Has given kudos: 309 times
Has gotten kudos: 826 times

Next

Return to Living in Taiwan