What Are You Watching (Movies) 2018

Books, music, films, movies, TV shows, etc. - this is the place for it! A & E topics related to Taiwan or China should be posted in the Culture & History Forum.

Moderator: ThreadKiller

Re: What Are You Watching (Movies) 2018

Postby Corns » Thu Mar 08, 2018 15:42

I am also surprised that Forrest Gump won. It was highly entertaining but was it cinematically worthy? :lol: If people are hard on DWW, I think Braveheart, Titanic, Forrest Gump etc. are examples of entertaining movies that possibly deserved box office success, but not necessarily recognition from their peers as the highest award one can receive. :twocents:
Chairman of Overseas Canadians United in Nominating Trump

You're actually a nihilistic sociopath wrapped up in a Canadian flag pretending to be some giant intellect tapping away from a southern French shed.---Broonale
Corns
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 128 times
Has gotten kudos: 212 times

Postby Dragonbones » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:39

Saw the Hunger Games. Hard to believe it was my first movie for grups with my wife in seven years! (Having young kids has limited our screen choices a lot.)

Approached as an adaptation of a novel for young adults, I thought it was pretty well done. I liked the casting of Woody Harrelson as Haymitch, Josh Hutcherson as Peeta, and Lenny Kravitz as Cinna. The casting for Rue, Primrose, and the mom was good. The minority casting was nice. Very nice.

Jennifer Lawrence was competent, if miscast (not skinny and hungry enough). I didn't like Stanley Tucci as Caesar Flickerman so much, as he overacted (although the role was OTT to begin with). The contrasts between the districts (very gritty, realistic) and Capitol (very artificial and cheesy in makeup and costume) were odd. If the latter had been somehow more realistic (although still in extreme contrast) it would have been better. Had I not read the book, I would have had an even stronger reaction on the cheesiness.

I didn't like the occasional overuse of the shaky cam technique. Fortunately, it was occasional.

Tension was good. Very good.

I felt they left out what parts of the book they needed to for a successful adaptation.
“To cook for the pleasure of it, to devote a portion of our leisure to it, is to declare our independence from the corporations seeking to organize our every waking moment into yet another occasion for consumption." --Michael Pollan

These users gave kudos to the author Dragonbones for the post:
Mick (Tue Mar 13, 2018 22:15)
Dragonbones
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 524 times
Has gotten kudos: 1041 times

Postby Bunks » Tue Mar 13, 2018 03:11

Wonder woman.
It's not worth typing words about it.
Bunks
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Has given kudos: 202 times
Has gotten kudos: 337 times

Postby Mick » Tue Mar 13, 2018 22:17

Dragonbones wrote:Saw the Hunger Games. Hard to believe it was my first movie for grups with my wife in seven years! (Having young kids has limited our screen choices a lot.)

Good review, if you plan to see the second Hunger Games movie, I thought Peter K. Rosenthal did a good review.

Mick
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 122 times
Has gotten kudos: 187 times

Postby Icon » Thu Apr 12, 2018 20:38

Anyone seeing Avengers: Infinity war on the 25th? Tickets already on sale.
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Eat the delicious food. Walk in the sunshine. Jump in the ocean. Say the truth that you’re carrying in your heart like hidden treasure. Be silly. Be kind. Be weird. There’s no time for anything else
Icon
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 574 times
Has gotten kudos: 853 times

Postby Bunks » Fri Apr 13, 2018 00:19

Isle of dogs. Boring story, which is surprising for Anderson.
Bunks
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Has given kudos: 202 times
Has gotten kudos: 337 times

Postby cfimages » Fri Apr 13, 2018 08:12

Icon wrote:Anyone seeing Avengers: Infinity war on the 25th? Tickets already on sale.

The first Avengers movie put me to sleep. Twice. In the cinema.

So, no.
cfimages
Taiwanease Royalty

Has given kudos: 687 times
Has gotten kudos: 910 times

Postby sandman » Fri Apr 13, 2018 13:21

Oil City Confidential. Good stuff. Watch this and be blown away. My favourite band of all time. ALL time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzF0AETdRF8
sandman
Taiwanease Royalty

Has given kudos: 309 times
Has gotten kudos: 826 times

Postby Kal El » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:36

cfimages wrote:
Icon wrote:Anyone seeing Avengers: Infinity war on the 25th? Tickets already on sale.

The first Avengers movie put me to sleep. Twice. In the cinema.

So, no.

You should try Thor Ragnarok, if for no reason but for Korg. Pretty funny Bro Movie.

Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash.
Sir Winston Churchill

Heathen filth, the lot of you.
Dr Kurt Langstrom

人不可貌相,海水不可斗量
Kal El
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 1191 times
Has gotten kudos: 1132 times

Previous

Return to Arts & Entertainment