Discrimination of English Teachers in Taiwan

Teaching English is a very common job for foreigners in Taiwan. Whether you want to share your experiences as a teacher in Taiwan or learn from the experiences of others, this is the right place for you!

Re: Discrimination of English Teachers in Taiwan

Postby Big Vern » Thu Nov 16, 2017 22:20

Kal El wrote:
Big Vern wrote:However, my point stands that if a teacher looks like they may be an English speaker it is presumed that they are teaching English. In the UK it would not be accepted to harass, say, Mr. Tsai who was teaching in pre-school because it was assumed he might be teaching Mandarin. Well, the issue wouldn't even come up for discussion.

I get what you're saying, but in England it is very possible Mr. Tsai is a native speaker of English born and raised in Somewhere-on-Tyne. In Taiwan, it is statistically highly unlikely Mr. Smith can speak Mandarin and/or is Taiwanese. Comparing a homogenous society to a fairly cosmopolitan heterogenous society in cases like these is pointless. :twocents:

But if we don't compare societies, how can we measure discrimination?
Big Vern
Taiwanease Deity
 
Posts: 5083
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:37
Has given kudos: 545 times
Has gotten kudos: 864 times

Re: Discrimination of English Teachers in Taiwan

Postby Corns » Sat Nov 18, 2017 15:21

I think it would be interesting to discuss discrimination towards Canadian and South Africans with regards to lower pay for those fresh off the boat. Might be an interesting angle. :twocents: :lol:
Chairman of Overseas Canadians United in Nominating Trump

You're actually a nihilistic sociopath wrapped up in a Canadian flag pretending to be some giant intellect tapping away from a southern French shed.---Broonale
User avatar
Corns
Taiwanease Gentry
 
Posts: 923
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:47
Has given kudos: 128 times
Has gotten kudos: 212 times

Re: Discrimination of English Teachers in Taiwan

Postby jimipresley » Sat Nov 18, 2017 15:39

This on a Facebook page from some dude in the Philippines:

Being a non-native English Speaker is not a hindrance to share my knowledge about English. Yes, English is a global language and have contributed a lot.So, If you are in need of a teacher who has the ability in teaching English to non-native students at your school, I delightfully present my candidature for a teaching position. I am confident that I can carry a high reputation of your school forward and keep earning praises for the school with my experience and skills.
Please let me know the things which are needed to provide in order for me to get a job.
Thanks a lot


We'll see him in a few months crying about discrimination. :facepalm:
Do you ever listen to yourself? - maoman

How clever of you to take an orange and a dog biscuit and build a time machine. - Bunks

Some countries cultivate vast populations of idiots for the purpose of maintaining sham democracies. - Toad
User avatar
jimipresley
Taiwanease Deity
 
Posts: 5387
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2011 23:34
Location: Picturesque, idyllic Sanchong.
Has given kudos: 2514 times
Has gotten kudos: 1527 times

Re: Discrimination of English Teachers in Taiwan

Postby Big Vern » Sat Nov 18, 2017 15:50

Corns wrote:I think it would be interesting to discuss discrimination towards Canadian and South Africans with regards to lower pay for those fresh off the boat. Might be an interesting angle. :twocents: :lol:

The only pay discrimination I'm aware of with holders of the 6 passports is occasionally Canadian or US passport holders get more. GVO, for example, offers 490NTD an hour to new teachers, but a whopping 510 an hour if you're from Canada/US.
Big Vern
Taiwanease Deity
 
Posts: 5083
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:37
Has given kudos: 545 times
Has gotten kudos: 864 times

Re: Discrimination of English Teachers in Taiwan

Postby Big Vern » Sat Nov 18, 2017 15:54

jimipresley wrote:This on a Facebook page from some dude in the Philippines:

Being a non-native English Speaker is not a hindrance to share my knowledge about English. Yes, English is a global language and have contributed a lot.So, If you are in need of a teacher who has the ability in teaching English to non-native students at your school, I delightfully present my candidature for a teaching position. I am confident that I can carry a high reputation of your school forward and keep earning praises for the school with my experience and skills.
Please let me know the things which are needed to provide in order for me to get a job.
Thanks a lot


We'll see him in a few months crying about discrimination. :facepalm:

You didn't tease him, did you?
Big Vern
Taiwanease Deity
 
Posts: 5083
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:37
Has given kudos: 545 times
Has gotten kudos: 864 times

Re: Discrimination of English Teachers in Taiwan

Postby jimipresley » Sat Nov 18, 2017 17:46

Big Vern wrote:You didn't tease him, did you?

Take a wild guess. :grin:
Do you ever listen to yourself? - maoman

How clever of you to take an orange and a dog biscuit and build a time machine. - Bunks

Some countries cultivate vast populations of idiots for the purpose of maintaining sham democracies. - Toad
User avatar
jimipresley
Taiwanease Deity
 
Posts: 5387
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2011 23:34
Location: Picturesque, idyllic Sanchong.
Has given kudos: 2514 times
Has gotten kudos: 1527 times

Re: Discrimination of English Teachers in Taiwan

Postby Big Vern » Sat Nov 18, 2017 18:10

jimipresley wrote:
Big Vern wrote:You didn't tease him, did you?

Take a wild guess. :grin:

You big meanie.
Big Vern
Taiwanease Deity
 
Posts: 5083
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:37
Has given kudos: 545 times
Has gotten kudos: 864 times

Previous

Return to Teaching English in Taiwan