National Museum of Marine Science & Technology

Moderator: cranky laowai

National Museum of Marine Science & Technology

Postby cranky laowai » Mon Sep 25, 2017 14:35

Over the weekend I visited the National Museum of Marine Science & Technology, a relatively new museum on the northeast coast. It's quite large (adult admission: NT$200). A separate building houses an Imax theater, which at the time was showing 3D documentaries on whales and dolphins, and on the U.S. national parks (NT$120 for adults).

If the museum houses any sea critters, I didn't see them. So don't go expecting an aquarium. But the many children in the museum seemed to be having a good time regardless.

The English on the signage ranges from good to merely sufficient for readers to figure out what was probably meant.

The museum can be reached by taking a train to Ruifang and then transferring to the new Shen'ao spur line to Badouzi. Get off at Haikeguan and walk 5-10 minutes. Better still if you have time, get off at Badouzi, which offers a scenic view of the ocean, and walk from there. (See map below.)

Tip: You could combine this with a trip to Pingxi. If so, stay on the train when it return to Ruifang station; that way you will have seats for the continuing journey to Pingxi, which is always crowded on weekends. Or at least that was the way the trains were organized on Saturday when I was there.

These users gave kudos to the author cranky laowai for the post (total 2):
Dragonbones (Mon Sep 25, 2017 22:54) • jimipresley (Mon Sep 25, 2017 19:14)
cranky laowai
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Has given kudos: 163 times
Has gotten kudos: 450 times

Re: National Museum of Marine Science & Technology

Postby Dragonbones » Mon Sep 25, 2017 23:01

There's more on this good museum here: national-museum-of-marine-science-and-technology-in-jilong-keelung-t12790.html

We have been many times since my first post there. It has the best ocean-themed playroom for toddlers and young kids that I know of in Taiwan, and is an excellent resource when teaching concepts like deep ocean vents and the life forms there, deep ocean life like tube worms, the pressure of the ocean, fishing resources and over-fishing, forms of fishing, traditional fishing, crustaceans and jellyfish, and so on.
“To cook for the pleasure of it, to devote a portion of our leisure to it, is to declare our independence from the corporations seeking to organize our every waking moment into yet another occasion for consumption." --Michael Pollan
Dragonbones
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 524 times
Has gotten kudos: 1043 times

Return to Culture & History