Nazis and Drugs

Moderator: cranky laowai

Nazis and Drugs

Postby Big Vern » Sun Sep 25, 2016 20:15

I thought that might get your attention. :smile:

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2016/ ... -interview

The Grauniad gives the impression that this is ground-breaking stuff. However, it's common knowledge that Hitler and other members of the Nazi elite were druggies and that the Wehrmacht speeded its way through blitzkriegs, isn't it?

Anyway, the book looks like an interesting read. What do you make of it, Presley? I know you like your military history. I would like to know more about how it affected Hitler's judgement when over-ruling his field marshals such as refusing Rommel the chance to send his armour into Dunkerque, forcing Von Paulus to stand his ground in Stalingrad, delaying the Battle of Kursk, or again keeping Rommel's armour in the Pas de Calais during the Normandy landings. I wonder how much the drugs distorted Hitler's judgement.

These users gave kudos to the author Big Vern for the post (total 2):
jimipresley (Tue Sep 27, 2016 15:54) • Tempo Gain (Mon Sep 26, 2016 02:07)
Big Vern
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 548 times
Has gotten kudos: 871 times

Re: Nazis and Drugs

Postby sandman » Tue Sep 27, 2016 15:49

They all did speed. The Jerries used Pervetin. Crystal meth. The Brits used "wakey wakey pills." Benzedrine. My dad used bennies all through university, to get through the exams. Totally legal.
sandman
Taiwanease Royalty

Has given kudos: 310 times
Has gotten kudos: 829 times

Postby Big Vern » Tue Sep 27, 2016 15:58

sandman wrote:They all did speed. The Jerries used Pervetin. Crystal meth. The Brits used "wakey wakey pills." Benzedrine. My dad used bennies all through university, to get through the exams. Totally legal.

Very true for the grunts, but I'm not so sure about the leadership. Churchill was, obviously, a piss-head and I'd imagine FDR was on some kind of pain-killers. From what I've read Stalin was a very big drinker and would have drinking binges with his staff before humiliating those who couldn't handle it.

I'll need to read this book, but I don't think a war has been waged by so many junkies before or after.
Big Vern
Taiwanease Deity

Postby Toad » Tue Sep 27, 2016 16:22

sandman wrote:They all did speed. The Jerries used Pervetin. Crystal meth. The Brits used "wakey wakey pills." Benzedrine. My dad used bennies all through university, to get through the exams. Totally legal.

There wasn't such a puritan attitude to such things in those days. Morphine was a routine painkiller (rightly so, IMO). People were deeply enamoured with technology in general and medical technology specifically; and some of the advances made during (roughly) 1920-1970 were genuinely miraculous. Nobody had quite cottoned on to the unintended side effects that typically arrive with modern advancements.

Everyone thought science was going to save the world and they accepted uncritically all of the miraculous products that the eggheads were turning out. I bet the Amish thought it was the End Times.

These users gave kudos to the author Toad for the post:
jimipresley (Tue Sep 27, 2016 16:29)
Toad
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Has given kudos: 957 times
Has gotten kudos: 705 times

Postby Big Vern » Tue Sep 27, 2016 16:43

Toad wrote:

There wasn't such a puritan attitude to such things in those days. Morphine was a routine painkiller (rightly so, IMO). People were deeply enamoured with technology in general and medical technology specifically; and some of the advances made during (roughly) 1920-1970 were genuinely miraculous. Nobody had quite cottoned on to the unintended side effects that typically arrive with modern advancements.

Everyone thought science was going to save the world and they accepted uncritically all of the miraculous products that the eggheads were turning out. I bet the Amish thought it was the End Times.

Queen Victoria was off her nut for the last half of the nineteenth century. I'm not sure how much influence she genuinely had on British foreign policy, but we ended up doing pretty well during that period. I have a feeling that Donald Trump is on coke, judging by his most recent performance. :grin:
Big Vern
Taiwanease Deity

Return to Culture & History