Criminal Background Question

ARCs, APRCs, JFRVs and a million other acronyms that you never thought you'd need to know about - until now. Find out what you need to know here.

Moderators: Eiger John, EigerMarcus

Forum rules
Taiwanease is pleased to have the legal forums moderated by individuals from the upstanding legal firm Eiger Law. While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Taiwanease, the moderators and the Eiger Law firm cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Taiwanease provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and Eiger Law or any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Criminal Background Question

Postby Briyo2289 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 00:20

Hello,

I am applying for teaching jobs in Taiwan, and I have a question that I cannot seem to get a straight answer about. I was convicted of a DUI about 4 years ago, and I was put on an administrative supervision (now sealed by the state in which it occurred about 10 years ago) for possessing a small amount of marijuana when I was 18 years old. One potential employer that I have talked to said that a DUI was no problem as long as I lived in Taipei, and as far as I can gather, the arrest from when I was 18 won't matter because 1) it is older than 5 years ago, and 2) I was never convicted of anything. Is this correct?

Assuming a company will hire me, will either of these legal issues prevent me from getting a work visa or an ARC? If so, do you have any recommendations to make this situation more workable? I don't know if my situation helps, but I am a qualified University professor with a Master's degree, a great teaching background, and a TEFL certificate, not just a college graduate.

Thank you for any advice you have.
Briyo2289
2nd post! You're back for more!

Has given kudos: 0 time
Has gotten kudos: 0 time

Re: Criminal Background Question

Postby Big Vern » Fri Sep 09, 2016 09:09

Unless the regulations have changed private cram schools are not required to request a criminal record check from teachers. Yes, I know :eek: .

A few of them do, though, such as Shane English School and the British Council. In that case I guess it will depend on how far back your country searches when running a check.
Big Vern
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 548 times
Has gotten kudos: 871 times

Re: Criminal Background Question

Postby Briyo2289 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 23:11

Thanks. One more question. If I have a job offer will the Taiwanese government want to see a background check when I apply for my ARC or will they not ask about background?
Briyo2289
2nd post! You're back for more!

Has given kudos: 0 time
Has gotten kudos: 0 time

Return to Visa & Residency Issues in Taiwan