What kind of visa to get to stay longer term (1-3 years)?

ARCs, APRCs, JFRVs and a million other acronyms that you never thought you'd need to know about - until now. Find out what you need to know here.

Moderators: Eiger John, EigerMarcus

Forum rules
Taiwanease is pleased to have the legal forums moderated by individuals from the upstanding legal firm Eiger Law. While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Taiwanease, the moderators and the Eiger Law firm cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Taiwanease provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and Eiger Law or any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Re: What kind of visa to get to stay longer term (1-3 years)?

Postby Big Vern » Tue Sep 27, 2016 18:59

Kal El wrote:Let's just say I know a bloke personally (and it's not anyone who has ever posted here or on Forumosa) who got divorced during his TARC year, and re-married within that year. His divorce was also fairly ugly and his ex did try that shit, but the government told her to feck off. I advised him against doing it (being over cautious, just in case), but he followed his own advice. He didn't have any problems.

But the risk is not nonsense. Your friend could have had problems. That's surely the key point here, the law could be used against a person and they might have no recourse.
Big Vern
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 548 times
Has gotten kudos: 871 times

Postby cranky laowai » Tue Sep 27, 2016 19:17

Woodenathick wrote:"Under the law, foreigners who obtain ROC citizenship can be stripped of their status if they engage in criminal activity or fail to demonstrate good morals over the following five years.""

Not sure having second relation considered to be a criminal activity here in Taiwan. Does anyone have any idea about such law?

Depends on what you mean by "second relation." If you're still legally married, yes, you are potentially in trouble. Adultery is a criminal offense in Taiwan. But surely you already knew that, right?
cranky laowai
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Has given kudos: 163 times
Has gotten kudos: 452 times

Postby Woodenathick » Thu Sep 29, 2016 00:58

cranky laowai wrote:
Woodenathick wrote:
Not sure having second relation considered to be a criminal activity here in Taiwan. Does anyone have any idea about such law?

Depends on what you mean by "second relation." If you're still legally married, yes, you are potentially in trouble. Adultery is a criminal offense in Taiwan. But surely you already knew that, right?

Thanks for reply Cranky :)

By that I mean the possibility of having a new relationship while I'm on 1 year waiting period with a TARC.

One thing I also want to point out that article 19 of Nationality Act which reads as under :-

"If it is found that the naturalization, loss or restoration of the nationality of the ROC is not conforming to the provisions of this Act within 5 years, the naturalization, loss, or restoration shall be withdrawn"

.... what I understand from this article of the said Act that one should have maintained good moral conduct untill he/she is eligible for naturalization. If the authorities found out (within five years from the naturalization) that it was a fraud, the citizenship will be withdrawn.

But the reason given by the govt authority in that woman's case is that she should have demonstrated this "good moral" for following five years.

Does it mean one has to stay single for the next five years?

Thanks to all nice people here. :orz:
Woodenathick
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 2 times
Has gotten kudos: 0 time

Postby Big Vern » Thu Sep 29, 2016 07:40

Woodenathick wrote:
One thing I also want to point out that article 19 of Nationality Act which reads as under :-

"If it is found that the naturalization, loss or restoration of the nationality of the ROC is not conforming to the provisions of this Act within 5 years, the naturalization, loss, or restoration shall be withdrawn"

.... what I understand from this article of the said Act that one should have maintained good moral conduct untill he/she is eligible for naturalization. If the authorities found out (within five years from the naturalization) that it was a fraud, the citizenship will be withdrawn.

But the reason given by the govt authority in that woman's case is that she should have demonstrated this "good moral" for following five years.

Does it mean one has to stay single for the next five years?

Presumably only if one remains married. :lol:

The Nationality Act (English translation, at least) does make for some interesting reading:

http://www.moi.gov.tw/english/english_l ... aspx?sn=82

Article 13 in particular stands out for me.

"Article 13

Under any of the following conditions, a national who meets the provisions of Article 11 shall not lose his/her nationality:

1. He/she is a criminal defendant under investigation or trial.

2. He/she was sentenced to fixed-term imprisonment and the sentence has not been completely served.

3. He/she is a civil defendant.

4. He/she is the subject of a court judgment or administrative order and the judgment or order has not been fully executed yet.

5. He/she was pronounced bankrupt and his/her rights were not restored.

He/she is obligated to pay overdue tax or arrears of tax penalty."

I'm a bit of an idiot, but I really cannot figure this out. Is criminality advantageous for Taiwanese citizenship?

EDIT: I get it now. If you have already obtained citizenship then future criminality will not cause you to lose it. I was about to recommend Zane apply because he pretty much covers all 5 points and would be an ideal candidate. :lol: My memory isn't great, but I seem to recall a South-East Asian women who had her citizenship removed because she was married to a Taiwanese guy and she had an affair. That would seem to contradict Article 13. :ponder:

These users gave kudos to the author Big Vern for the post:
Woodenathick (Sat Oct 01, 2016 15:37)
Big Vern
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 548 times
Has gotten kudos: 871 times

Previous

Return to Visa & Residency Issues in Taiwan