Platinum International Talent Card

ARCs, APRCs, JFRVs and a million other acronyms that you never thought you'd need to know about - until now. Find out what you need to know here.

Moderators: Eiger John, EigerMarcus

Forum rules
Taiwanease is pleased to have the legal forums moderated by individuals from the upstanding legal firm Eiger Law. While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Taiwanease, the moderators and the Eiger Law firm cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Taiwanease provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and Eiger Law or any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Platinum International Talent Card

Postby cranky laowai » Sun Jun 12, 2016 23:41

Does anyone here have or know about the "Platinum International Talent Card" or the "Gold International Talent Card" issued by the government? For example, what's the difference between the two?

Apparently these are things that individuals generally can't apply for themselves. Instead, a "recommended organization" (e.g., chamber of commerce, industry association, juridical body, or government agency) has to apply for them. They seem aimed at high-level people in biotech, etc.

In order to retain the key industry international talent in Taiwan, the Ministry of Economic Affairs issues the multi-functional “International Talent Card”. InvesTaiwan Service Center coordinates the resources from government agencies to provide international talent with value-added services. The function of the Platinum Card includes speedy immigration clearance for the cardholders along with spouses or lineal relatives traveling with them. Besides, the functions include EasyCards, APP, and QR Code, in order to provide the information regarding on living, education, entertainment, and tourism. This will help us provide a better and friendlier living environment for international talent in Taiwan.

So if I get one, I get to go through the VIP line at the airport on the way to my tiny seat in coach? Anything else? Is it actually useful to have one of these?
cranky laowai
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Has given kudos: 163 times
Has gotten kudos: 450 times

Re: Platinum International Talent Card

Postby cranky laowai » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:46

The government has deemed me unworthy of a platinum card, so no VIP line at the airport for me I guess. :neutral:

But they did send me a "Gold International Talent Card," which is basically an EasyCard with my name and photo. I don't know yet if they loaded any money on the card or if comes with any, you know, actual benefits.

Does anyone know anything about these cards?

Whatever I may or may not get, the card expires at the end of next year. I don't know if I can renew it or if my supposed worth to Taiwan must be completely reevaluated next year.
cranky laowai
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Re: Gold International Talent Card

Postby cranky laowai » Mon Dec 12, 2016 22:06

cranky laowai wrote:But they did send me a "Gold International Talent Card," which is basically an EasyCard with my name and photo. I don't know yet if they loaded any money on the card

I checked on the way home: NT$200. Well, it's something. :idunno:

I wonder if the platinum people get more -- in addition to the VIP line at the airport, that is.
cranky laowai
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Postby Big Vern » Tue Dec 13, 2016 00:08

There's a club in this town, Cranky, called the Pussy Club. And I am a privileged member. Gold card.
Big Vern
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 548 times
Has gotten kudos: 871 times

Postby Toad » Tue Dec 13, 2016 00:16

I hear you really need the platinum card, BV. The gold card only gets you in the tradesmen's entrance.

Cranky: does this thing have any relation to the Plum Blossom card? How did you arrange to get yourself sponsored for your gold card?

These users gave kudos to the author Toad for the post:
Big Vern (Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:04)
Toad
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Has given kudos: 957 times
Has gotten kudos: 705 times

Postby cranky laowai » Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:14

Toad wrote:Cranky: does this thing have any relation to the Plum Blossom card?

Not that I know of. I suspect this isn't something they thought through all that much.

How did you arrange to get yourself sponsored for your gold card?

Some of the application paperwork just appeared on my desk one day. :idunno:

But I must admit that I really did want to get this and had mentioned it at work before, partly just out of curiosity but mainly because I've been hoping that maybe, just maybe, it might help me with my goal of TW citizenship without having to renounce my US citizenship. Since occasionally the government makes noises about making it easier for what I like to call "super foreigners" to get citizenship without having to prove renunciation, I thought that having a government-issued card stating that I'm valuable or whatever to Taiwan just might help me through that loophole.

No platinum card for me, though. Instead, I ended up with just a gold star on my homework. But if the rules ever open up just a little, I'll try to see if that's good enough.

There might not be much time regardless. The card expires at the end of next year.
cranky laowai
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Postby cranky laowai » Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:05

A bit more info.

The government has stopped taking applications for the cards -- at least for this year. Maybe it will start up again next year.

Total number of platinum international talent cards issued: 20.
Total number of gold international talent cards issued: 5. Ouch.

The cards seem to be aimed mainly at foreigners who might bring investments and cutting-edge tech talent -- so definitely not me.

On a related matter, a recent story in the Diplomat reported that the government has issued fewer than 50 Plum Blossom cards since 2006.

These users gave kudos to the author cranky laowai for the post:
Toad (Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:07)
cranky laowai
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Return to Visa & Residency Issues in Taiwan