SummerPoint Jr - a great little B&B in Jialeshui, Pingdong

SummerPoint Jr - a great little B&B in Jialeshui, Pingdong

Postby maoman » Wed Aug 31, 2011 00:14

Over the CNY holidays, my daughter Trudi and I had the great pleasure of staying at SummerPoint Jr, a friend's B&B in Jialeshui, Pingdong County.

For those who don't know, Jialeshui is in the very far south of Taiwan, about as far south as Kending, but on the other side of the peninsula. Click here for the Google Map.

Summer Point Jr. is a great place to hang out, relax, go surfing or swimming. There are no crowds, and while it is next to a road, the road ends right there, so there is very little traffic. Also, the food is awesome, American diner-style food.

There's air-con, cable TV, and lots of good hiking in the Jialeshui Seascape Park, which starts just a few meters away from SummerPoint Jr.

You can find pictures of SummerPoint Jr. here, pictures of Jialeshui here, and a couple of videos for your viewing enjoyment below:

If you're interested in staying there, you can e-mail Chris at hsiachris7028 (at) gmail.com, or call them at 0936-416-006. Rates start at NT$2,400/night including breakfast.
maoman
Admin

Has given kudos: 1788 times
Has gotten kudos: 1270 times

Re: Summer Point Jr - great little B&B in Jialeshui, Pingdon

Postby cranky laowai » Thu Sep 01, 2011 13:44

I've stayed there too and can also recommend it.
cranky laowai
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Has given kudos: 151 times
Has gotten kudos: 416 times

Postby Jaboney » Thu Sep 01, 2011 18:35

Definitely worthwhile. Thumbs up.

Only downside: it's a ways from Kending. Fortunately, there are cabs around if you don't have a vehicle.

To get there from the THSR station, you can hire a van, cheaply enough, but there's also a nice, big, modern bus making regular trips to Kending, right from the station.
Shared pain is lessened; shared joy, increased — thus do we refute entropy. - Spider Robinson
Jaboney
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Has given kudos: 198 times
Has gotten kudos: 427 times

Postby cranky laowai » Thu Sep 15, 2011 09:46

Jaboney wrote:Only downside: it's a ways from Kending. Fortunately, there are cabs around if you don't have a vehicle.

There are also buses from Kending to Jialeshui for less than NT$50. But there aren't a lot of these, so check the schedule with someone inside the bus station.
cranky laowai
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Postby Tempo Gain » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:15

One of these days we have to make it there.
Tempo Gain
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 114 times
Has gotten kudos: 152 times

Postby mjb » Fri Sep 16, 2011 00:20

Jaboney wrote:
BEST UPSIDE: it's a ways from Kending. Fortunately, there are cabs around if you don't have a vehicle.

Fixed it for ya... :thumbsup:
mjb
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 4 times
Has gotten kudos: 40 times

Re: SummerPoint Jr - great little B&B in Jialeshui, Pingdong

Postby MilkTeaJack » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:21

I am planning on giving this place a try in early spring. While not a deal breaker, I am going to have to do a little homework on how to get to downtown and back w/o wheels. But that's my problem, not theirs. Do they have wifi? (their pages doesn't say.)
The Iron never lies to you. You can walk outside and listen to all kinds of talk, get told that you’re a god or a total bastard. The Iron will always kick you the real deal. The Iron is the great reference point, the all-knowing perspective giver.-Henry Rollins
MilkTeaJack
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 96 times
Has gotten kudos: 76 times

Postby cranky laowai » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:42

MilkTeaJack wrote:I am going to have to do a little homework on how to get to downtown and back w/o wheels.

There's a bus from Kending to Jialeshui -- about NT$50. And there are taxis, of course.

I've gone the whole way from Banqiao to Summer Point Junior on public transportation (high-speed rail to Zuoying, bus to Kending, another bus to Jialeshui -- the stop is almost directly in front of the B&B).
cranky laowai
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Postby maoman » Wed Jan 25, 2012 13:13

MilkTeaJack wrote:Do they have wifi? (their pages doesn't say.)

Yes, they do, but the signal is weak on the 3rd floor. 1st and second floor is fine, though. (1st floor is the common area/restaurant)
Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle.
maoman
Admin

Postby Lili » Sat Mar 17, 2012 01:48

I would love to go here for my upcoming Kending trip... but out of budget at the moment.
:sad:
Mrs. jimipresley: You're scaring the girl!
jimipresley: Lili, you give the Taiwanese culture shock.
bismarck (aka Kal El): I woke up in a strange house next to a naked woman I'd never seen in my life, far from my scooter and I'd lost my house keys. At least I still had my underpants on.
Lili
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 31 times
Has gotten kudos: 37 times

Postby Antoin » Sat May 12, 2012 13:45

Thanks Looks great :cool:

Do they hire the surfboards out?

Approx how long would it take to drive down from Taipei? Hired car, no little ones - just teenagers. Better to stop over along the way?

TIA
Antoin
Antoin
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 10 times
Has gotten kudos: 0 time

SummerPoint Jr - great little B&B in Jialeshui, Pingdong

Postby HeadhonchoII » Sat May 12, 2012 14:23

This place looks nice and relaxing in it's small scale. There are many many nice B&Bs now in Kending and Hengchun, especially on the edge of Kending town towards the interior , in the hinterland Hengchun area or further down towards the Sail rock and on to this place here. Even Penghu has some awesome B&Bs now, the key is to go on weekdays or off season to get good deals.
But you got to ask yourself the question....what would astronaut Chris Hatfield do?
HeadhonchoII
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 127 times
Has gotten kudos: 253 times

Re: SummerPoint Jr - a great little B&B in Jialeshui, Pingdo

Postby Holy_Light » Fri May 17, 2013 03:36

Oh this place has a club sandwhich! I have to put this place on my list of places to go to, when I get to Taiwan :grin:
Holy_Light
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 10 times

Re: SummerPoint Jr - a great little B&B in Jialeshui, Pingdong

Postby maoman » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:21

Had a chance to experience breakfast at SummerPoint last week. It's still the best western breakfast to be had. Despite Kending's plethora of hotels and restaurants, none of them come close to a SummerPoint brekkie.

Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle.
maoman
Admin

Re: SummerPoint Jr - a great little B&B in Jialeshui, Pingdong

Postby Taiwanian » Tue Feb 18, 2014 00:08

maoman wrote:Had a chance to experience breakfast at SummerPoint last week. It's still the best western breakfast to be had. Despite Kending's plethora of hotels and restaurants, none of them come close to a SummerPoint brekkie.

isn't that because Jessie, the owner, is one of the founders and co-owners of The Diner (樂子) restaurant chain? They make good bfasts!

Hey A, the girls look happy! We went by this place on our recent trip to Kending. It's a beautiful spot. We need to go back.
Taiwanian
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 1 time

Next

Return to Travel in Taiwan