Confusing "no motorcycles allowed" sign

Cars, motorcycles, and scooters in Taiwan. Here's where the greasemonkeys and gearheads talk shop. Oh, and if you're looking to buy a used car, check out the vehicle listings at www.taiwanted.com.

Confusing "no motorcycles allowed" sign

Postby maoman » Sat Mar 22, 2014 09:01

So a friend was asking if it was ok to drive motorcycles on Hwy 5 between Nangang and Qidu, so I jumped into Google Earth and found this pic:

The sign features a motorcycle in a red circle with a slash across - that part's clear enough. But then they confuse things by adding >=550cc. Why would they do that? Logically, one would assume that motorcycles UNDER 550cc would be ok, but no, that's not the law. Why not just say "no motorcycles". By this reasoning, they could say, "no motorcycles>=550cc that are red with horns that go ba-WOO-ba, and it would still have the same meaning. Argh.

Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle.
maoman  Anthony van Dyck
Admin

Has given kudos: 1822 times
Has gotten kudos: 1297 times
Display Name: Anthony van Dyck

Re: Confusing "no motorcycles allowed" sign

Postby Bubbha » Sun Mar 23, 2014 19:32

It may mean "No motorcycles, except over 550 cc". It would not surprise me.
Bubbha
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 158 times
Has gotten kudos: 269 times

Postby maoman » Sun Mar 23, 2014 22:57

Bubbha wrote:It may mean "No motorcycles, except over 550 cc". It would not surprise me.

No, it means no motorcycles at all. Here's another example, on the Jianguo Overpass, where motorcycles are allowed all the way up to Minquan East Road. After the exit to Minquan (the lane on the far right in the picture), the highway turns on to National Hwy No. 1, where no motorcycles are allowed.

By this logic, they should put up signs reminding the public that left-handed people should not drink and drive. :doh:
Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle.
maoman  Anthony van Dyck
Admin

Has given kudos: 1822 times
Has gotten kudos: 1297 times
Display Name: Anthony van Dyck

Postby shiadoa » Mon Mar 24, 2014 00:17

A possible explanation may be that the "Law" now allows larger Bikes on Freeways etc BUT this being Taiwan, various Counties still decided they would not allow them. Although the Legislative Yuan say they should, they don't care. TIT.
shiadoa
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 175 times
Has gotten kudos: 280 times

Postby Bubbha » Mon Mar 24, 2014 00:58

Then I guess it means "No motorcycles. This means you too, big bike riders." Because big bike riders might think a "no motorcycles" sign only applies to little bikes.
Bubbha
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 158 times
Has gotten kudos: 269 times

Return to Cars, Scooters, and Driving in Taiwan