Questions asked of Taiwanese fiance(e)s at AIT

Looking for love in all the wrong places? Tell us about it! We probably won't be able to help, but it might be good for a chuckle.

Moderator: jimipresley

Questions asked of Taiwanese fiance(e)s at AIT

Postby channamasala » Tue Jun 18, 2013 22:30

Not sure where to post this so it goes here (co-mod, feel free to move it if it's in the wrong place).

My friend (Taiwanese, female) is currently at my place. She's spending the night because I live downtown, not far from AIT, and she lives in Banqiao. Her interview is at 8:30 tomorrow morning and she's totally freaking out, and has no idea what they're going to ask her or what she'll say.

I tried giving her some basic ideas based on logical deduction (they'll probably want to know the couple's intended income and budget for various things, how she'll support herself with him, her life in Taiwan and how she feels about leaving it, what he intends to do career and life-wise, what she intends to do in the USA, and details about their relationship to verify it's the real deal)...but I don't actually know. That's just an educated guess.

Any of you who have married Taiwanese significant others and they've undergone an interview at AIT to get a fiance(e) visa to the USA? If so, what was your partner asked? What should she be prepared to answer questions on?

Just some guidance on what to expect would probably help to calm her down a lot. We've got some daal on the stove (she likes Indian) for dinner and mangoes for dessert and a few cold beers if she wants 'em, but there's only so much comforting food can do to ease the nerves, y'know?
"So it's true. You work with your FEEEEEEE-males. Arm them. YOU FORCE THEM TO WEAR CLOTHING! Sickening."
channamasala
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 138 times
Has gotten kudos: 193 times

Re: Questions asked of Taiwanese fiance(e)s at AIT

Postby ChinaCat » Tue Jun 18, 2013 23:13

Depends on what type of visa she is seeking. If the relationship is bona fide, she likely has nothing to worry about. The officer may ask questions primarily about her documents.

Otherwise, she may want to look at this: http://www.immihelp.com/visas/kvisa/sam ... tions.html

and or this: http://www.visajourney.com/content/exampleq

Again, if the relationship is real, she should be able to answer the questions without difficulty.
You have been permanently banned from this board. Reason given for ban: CONTEMPT - Rude, dismissive, or disrespectful responses to official moderator communications. A ban has been issued on your username. - Forumosa.com
ChinaCat
Taiwanease Royalty

Has given kudos: 936 times
Has gotten kudos: 686 times

Postby cranky laowai » Tue Jun 18, 2013 23:17

Probably things like this. No big deal.

Taiwan's an importer of mail-order brides rather than an exporter of them. So I doubt AIT is going to be especially suspicious. Just tell her to relax and be honest. As long as she and her fiancé are for real, there shouldn't be any problems.
cranky laowai
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Has given kudos: 157 times
Has gotten kudos: 426 times

Postby channamasala » Tue Jun 18, 2013 23:19

ChinaCat wrote:Depends on what type of visa she is seeking. If the relationship is bona fide, she likely has nothing to worry about. The officer may ask questions primarily about her documents.

Otherwise, she may want to look at this: http://www.immihelp.com/visas/kvisa/sam ... tions.html

Again, if the relationship is real, she should be able to answer the questions without difficulty.

It's totally real (they're both my friends) but he's in the US at the moment for school, she's here, and while she knows his income she doesn't know much about life in the USA (although she has visited) and when I said "they might ask about your income together and how you plan to support yourselves - they may want a general budget idea or at least assurance there is one" she was like "well I have no idea - he'll support me, his family will help out while he's still in school, until I can find a job, that's all I know." ...and... "what do you plan to do when in the USA?" "Well, get a job, when I can. Any job. I don't think I'll be able to use my degree [from Taiwan, in social work] there."

She can answer anything about the relationship, but about things like money and job prospects - she really doesn't have much of an idea, and is worried.

Not sure if they'll even ask about that though.
"So it's true. You work with your FEEEEEEE-males. Arm them. YOU FORCE THEM TO WEAR CLOTHING! Sickening."
channamasala
Taiwanease Gentry

Postby channamasala » Tue Jun 18, 2013 23:20

All those links are very useful, thanks!

Maybe I'm overthinking the "how do you plan to support yourself" aspect because if I were looking into this, my first thought wouldn't be "yay I'm in love, getting married and moving to a new country!", it would be "how am I going to support myself in Country X?" so of course it's the first thing I'd think to ask someone who was applying. But I'm not the interviewer, so what do I know?
channamasala
Taiwanease Gentry

Postby channamasala » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:22

Piece of cake, apparently. She got the visa.

"It was so easy!" she said. "They asked me some questions like 'what is Alex's name' and 'how old is Alex' and then 'Welcome to America!'"

I pointed out that "What's Alex's name" is the dumbest question ever, but apparently that wasn't exactly how they asked it. :wink:

These users gave kudos to the author channamasala for the post:
maoman (Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:58)
channamasala
Taiwanease Gentry

Postby Big Vern » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:52

channamasala wrote:Piece of cake, apparently. She got the visa.

"It was so easy!" she said. "They asked me some questions like 'what is Alex's name' and 'how old is Alex' and then 'Welcome to America!'"

I pointed out that "What's Alex's name" is the dumbest question ever, but apparently that wasn't exactly how they asked it. :wink:

Big Vern
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 485 times
Has gotten kudos: 778 times

Return to Dating & Relationships