The Shocking Reality About Relationships With Foreigners

Looking for love in all the wrong places? Tell us about it! We probably won't be able to help, but it might be good for a chuckle.

Moderator: jimipresley

The Shocking Reality About Relationships With Foreigners

Postby maoman » Fri Jun 08, 2012 09:17

This utter garbage was broadcast on MBC, a major network in Korea. Let's hope the media never gets this bad in Taiwan! :eek:

Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle.
maoman  Anthony van Dyck
Admin

Has given kudos: 1813 times
Has gotten kudos: 1292 times
Display Name: Anthony van Dyck

Re: The Shocking Reality About Relationships With Foreigners

Postby Bunks » Fri Jun 08, 2012 13:20

Things aren't that bad in Korea.
Bunks
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Has given kudos: 187 times
Has gotten kudos: 312 times

Postby sandman » Fri Jun 08, 2012 15:03

Bunks wrote:Things aren't that bad in Korea.

Must agree. I had a 2-year relationship with a girl from Hove once. She dragged me over to here.
sandman
Taiwanease Royalty

Has given kudos: 304 times
Has gotten kudos: 801 times

Postby Beaker » Fri Jun 08, 2012 17:43

maoman wrote:This utter garbage was broadcast on MBC, a major network in Korea. Let's hope the media never gets this bad in Taiwan! :eek:

One reporter is trying to reach women who are the victims of foreigners. I almost died there. :lol:
-Beak
You have no idea where I've been... unless you're stalking me... in which case, can you tell me where I was last week?
Beaker
Tech

Has given kudos: 60 times
Has gotten kudos: 97 times

Postby ThreadKiller » Fri Jun 08, 2012 19:22

Must have been a slow news week (no foreigners misbehaving on the subway).
"Sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here." (Melvin Udall)
ThreadKiller
Taiwanease Royalty

Has given kudos: 1690 times
Has gotten kudos: 906 times

Postby Big Vern » Fri Jun 08, 2012 19:51

It puts the TVBS "Taiwan girls are easy" expose in the shade. It's pretty shameful that any country would allow this sort of thing on TV. Reminds me of the UK in the late 70s.
Big Vern
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 485 times
Has gotten kudos: 778 times

Postby Bunks » Fri Jun 08, 2012 20:12

Panorama put out a documantary last week about racism and violence in football in Poland and the Ukraine. They failed to mention that the most violent and rasict fans in the world are the English. It has stirred up a real hornets nest. The BBC also received 3,600 complaints about the facile celebrity fashion preoccupied commentary during the Queens Jubilee.

Global news media has a desire to tell you what to think.
Bunks
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Has given kudos: 187 times
Has gotten kudos: 312 times

Postby Beaker » Fri Jun 08, 2012 23:06

This is MBC. It isn't the first time they pulled this. Just xenophobics preaching to xenophobics. I relate this to the old man on the subway who glares at a mix couple. These types of people will die out soon (the sooner the better). I personally find it funny. It is so... unjournalistic... that is is entertaining.
-Beak
You have no idea where I've been... unless you're stalking me... in which case, can you tell me where I was last week?
Beaker
Tech

Has given kudos: 60 times
Has gotten kudos: 97 times

Postby Samcash » Sat Jun 09, 2012 14:26

Hate Mongering. How far would this shit fly if you change the roles? like them black guys dating white girls. A childish attempt from some poor tilted Korean at exploiting the locals short comings with their own women.
Samcash
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 7 times
Has gotten kudos: 11 times

Postby OutandAbout » Mon Aug 06, 2012 15:47

Controversy makes for good TV. The press in China, Korea and Taiwan in particular take advantage of the language barrier and twist stories to make for controversy, and what better controversy than a Foreigner doing something "bad", very little chance of libel, very little chance of story being validated or authenticated, and build on myths that are already perceived, their audiences lap it up!

My Wife discussed how the TV in Taiwan had mentioned how Australian's are "mis-treating" Taiwanese people on "Working Holiday" VISA's. The compliant was that there was no work for them (Fruit Picking), Working Holiday VISA's by default are temporary or casual work, and if there is nothing to do, then there is nothing to do.

Just last week I learnt of a Foreign English Teacher who become pregnant and her English School fired her, now thats mis-treatment and discrimination. The Shocking Reality is that this kind of story repeats itself over and over again but does not make for "good" news as it creates too much "Local" loss of face!

Highly integrated Multi-Cultural Countries like the Canada/Australia/UK are decades ahead with legal and social frameworks on racism, equal rights and cross-cultural acceptance, it is going to take decades for Asian mono-cultural countries to get over their myths and perceptions about Foreigners that were mainly "created" during the Korean (50's) and Vietnam War (60's/70's). We are still seeing the "GI" legacy.

In the meantime tread lightly, fully expect to be stereo-typed and point out the truth where ever possible.
OutandAbout
2nd post! You're back for more!

Has given kudos: 0 time
Has gotten kudos: 0 time

Postby Got To Be Kidding » Mon Aug 06, 2012 17:58

It's stuff like this that almost makes me wish that I'd married the African-American girl that I dated before meeting my wife.

I hate this kind of stupid, racist garbage. When is humanity going to stop being a race of thugs?

-- sent from a secret location somewhere deep in the hills of central Israel --
Got To Be Kidding
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 9 times
Has gotten kudos: 8 times

Postby divea » Mon Aug 06, 2012 18:00

Got To Be Kidding wrote:It's stuff like this that almost makes me wish that I'd married the African-American girl that I dated before meeting my wife.

I hate this kind of stupid, racist garbage. When is humanity going to stop being a race of thugs?

WHy is your locations secret? And if it is secret why tell us you are in a secret place? Or is it a joke that I'm not getting? :lol:
Work is the curse of the drinking classes- Wilde
divea
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 1317 times
Has gotten kudos: 705 times

Postby Got To Be Kidding » Mon Aug 06, 2012 23:05

divea wrote:
Got To Be Kidding wrote:It's stuff like this that almost makes me wish that I'd married the African-American girl that I dated before meeting my wife.

WHy is your locations secret? And if it is secret why tell us you are in a secret place? Or is it a joke that I'm not getting? :lol:

Just being inscrutable, mysterious and enigmatic. :roll:

It's certainly a whole lot more interesting than mentioning that I'm doing three weeks of laundry and checking out Taiwan forums - while doing a bit of thumb twiddling here in Jerusalem.

-- sent from some terribly dangerous and mysterious place in the Middle East --
Got To Be Kidding
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 9 times
Has gotten kudos: 8 times

Return to Dating & Relationships