A good quality, large, used car

Cars, motorcycles, and scooters in Taiwan. Here's where the greasemonkeys and gearheads talk shop. Oh, and if you're looking to buy a used car, check out the vehicle listings at www.taiwanted.com.

A good quality, large, used car

Postby Jaboney » Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:52

I'm looking for a good quality used vehicle. Something that will suit a family of five with room for ample baggage.
One of the inlaws has a line on a Nissan Serena 2.0 van. I'd likely be more comfortable driving a Toyota Wish. But I'm open to pretty much whatever.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Shared pain is lessened; shared joy, increased — thus do we refute entropy. - Spider Robinson
Jaboney
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Has given kudos: 199 times
Has gotten kudos: 429 times

Re: A good quality, large, used car

Postby Dragonbones » Sat Feb 13, 2016 14:38

If considering a Wish, I'd suggest you look at the Mazda 5 instead.

It's the same size as a Wish, approximately, so it's very easy to park, but it has very intelligent interior design. The third row of seats, which is a little cramped for grups but fine for kids, folds down to change 'grocery space' to space big enough for a number of big suitcases, OR a stroller and a child's bike plus minimal groceries. With the seats in place you can seat six to seven. The 2nd row can accomodate one child (on booster or just with lap belt) or petite adult between two child seats, so you could carry your eldest there on a booster, the others in child seats, Mom next to you, and wee wifey in the 3rd row when needed. Also, the suspension is sportier than the Wish, which is soft; and here's the real gem: Sliding rear doors, which make parking in Taiwan's crowded spaces MUCH easier, and which don't block the way of an adult moving from a front seat to be next to a child to load them in or out of the car. It's SO good a feature that I can't recommend it strongly enough.

Now, you have long legs and are tall, so you'll want to actually try these out to see if you fit. It's not particularly spacious. I fit fine because I'm short. You're welcome to check ours out, with the kid seats in place, back the seat up to the max and lower it too (power seat), and see what you think.

For more room so you fit better and can take bikes for three, or two bikes and a stroller, for a while, you MIGHT need a tailgate rack or roof rack added, or consider something one step larger (a van). With two kids, we're ok with the Mazda. I think that plus an added bike rack might eventually be your best bet, since parking a larger van here would suck, as would squeezing it through the sometimes very tight alleys.

Finally, if you buy used, remember that a lot of the Wishes have been used heavily as taxis, and they might try to repaint and sell one. Mazda 5's tend to be family cars, driven more gently, and less.
“To cook for the pleasure of it, to devote a portion of our leisure to it, is to declare our independence from the corporations seeking to organize our every waking moment into yet another occasion for consumption." --Michael Pollan

These users gave kudos to the author Dragonbones for the post (total 3):
maoman (Sat Feb 13, 2016 15:52) • John Ross (Sat Feb 13, 2016 15:39) • Jaboney (Sat Feb 13, 2016 14:54)
Dragonbones
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 509 times
Has gotten kudos: 1028 times

Postby maoman » Sat Feb 13, 2016 15:52

Dragonbones wrote:If considering a Wish, I'd suggest you look at the Mazda 5 instead.

It's the same size as a Wish, approximately, so it's very easy to park, but it has very intelligent interior design. The third row of seats, which is a little cramped for grups but fine for kids, folds down to change 'grocery space' to space big enough for a number of big suitcases, OR a stroller and a child's bike plus minimal groceries. With the seats in place you can seat six to seven. The 2nd row can accomodate one child (on booster or just with lap belt) or petite adult between two child seats, so you could carry your eldest there on a booster, the others in child seats, Mom next to you, and wee wifey in the 3rd row when needed. Also, the suspension is sportier than the Wish, which is soft; and here's the real gem: Sliding rear doors, which make parking in Taiwan's crowded spaces MUCH easier, and which don't block the way of an adult moving from a front seat to be next to a child to load them in or out of the car. It's SO good a feature that I can't recommend it strongly enough.

Now, you have long legs and are tall, so you'll want to actually try these out to see if you fit. It's not particularly spacious. I fit fine because I'm short. You're welcome to check ours out, with the kid seats in place, back the seat up to the max and lower it too (power seat), and see what you think.

For more room so you fit better and can take bikes for three, or two bikes and a stroller, for a while, you MIGHT need a tailgate rack or roof rack added, or consider something one step larger (a van). With two kids, we're ok with the Mazda. I think that plus an added bike rack might eventually be your best bet, since parking a larger van here would suck, as would squeezing it through the sometimes very tight alleys.

Finally, if you buy used, remember that a lot of the Wishes have been used heavily as taxis, and they might try to repaint and sell one. Mazda 5's tend to be family cars, driven more gently, and less.

Don't get a Wish. The suspension/ride is terrible. Mazda is a much better deal. Mitsubishi Savrin (7 seater) is also something to consider.
Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle.

These users gave kudos to the author maoman for the post:
Jaboney (Sat Feb 13, 2016 16:36)
maoman  Anthony van Dyck
Admin

Has given kudos: 1822 times
Has gotten kudos: 1297 times
Display Name: Anthony van Dyck

Postby nathanjon » Thu Dec 14, 2017 15:18

When it comes to large and good quality cars I would choose Mazda SUV and I would use a set of toyo tires for maximum traction during typhoon season.
nathanjon
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 3 times
Has gotten kudos: 0 time

Postby Jaboney » Thu Dec 14, 2017 15:33

Ended up getting a marvelously maintained Nissan X Trail. Very happy with it, though I still dislike driving.
Shared pain is lessened; shared joy, increased — thus do we refute entropy. - Spider Robinson
Jaboney
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Has given kudos: 199 times
Has gotten kudos: 429 times

Return to Cars, Scooters, and Driving in Taiwan