Raising money through sporting events for charity

All issues that are not covered by the following legal forums may be posted here.

Moderators: Eiger John, EigerMarcus

Forum rules
Taiwanease is pleased to have the legal forums moderated by individuals from the upstanding legal firm Eiger. While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Taiwanease, the moderators and the Eiger firm cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Taiwanease provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and Eiger or any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Raising money through sporting events for charity

Postby marasan » Wed Nov 01, 2017 16:13

My friends and I are starting a sports for charity organization. Here’s our fb webpage (please feel free to “like” the page):

https://www.facebook.com/Sport-for-Char ... 246104159/

Basically, the idea is to participate in a sporting event and get sponsors to donate funds for a charity of our choice. For example, my friend will be doing an ultramarathon over a weekend next April. 246km across Taiwan. So the idea is to get sponsors for each kilometer completed (NT$1 or NT$2 per kilometer, for example). We ask the sponsors to transfer funds after the sporting event is completed, then the donations will be given to a charity (my ultramarathon friend wants to donate to a children’s cancer organization, for example).

We will be cooperating with a church with non-profit organization status. We decided to go this route for tax purposes (our own and also since they can give out receipts for tax deductions), and also for legal concerns we have (see below- we have heard of a local getting fined for raising money in a similar fashion and hence our concerns).

The issue of legal problems we could face came up in one of our discussions. I would like to know if there is any risk of legal problems as follows:
a) for Taiwanese like my friend participating in a sporting event, asking for donations, and otherwise being involved in such an organization;
b) for foreigners like me with ARC or APRC status participating in a sporting event, asking for donations, and otherwise being involved in such an organization; and
c) for foreigners here on tourist visas getting involved like with a) or b).

Also, if an organization puts on a sporting event and the organization plans to donate to a charity, if one of us then participates in the sporting event, can we also get sponsors and receive donations for our own charity effort? The organization won't come after us for doing this, will they?

Thanks for any help you can provide.
marasan
1st post! Welcome to Taiwanease!

Has given kudos: 0 time
Has gotten kudos: 0 time

Return to General Legal Matters