Paid Leave/Annual Leave for salaried positions in Taiwan

Everything you wanted to know about Taiwan jobs, how to get 'em, and how to survive and even enjoy them!

Moderator: jimipresley

Re: Paid Leave/Annual Leave for salaried positions in Taiwan

Postby ThreadKiller » Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:31

I'll happily wager that I am better off here. But others aren't. Let's not get too excited about the land of milk and honey.
"Sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here." (Melvin Udall)
ThreadKiller
Taiwanease Royalty

Has given kudos: 1638 times
Has gotten kudos: 878 times

Postby Kal El » Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:12

ThreadKiller wrote:I'll happily wager that I am better off here. But others aren't. Let's not get too excited about the land of milk and honey.

Nothing to do with "milk and honey" imvho, but who isn't better off? Anyone we know? And if they're not better off here, then why stay? :idunno:
Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash.
Sir Winston Churchill

Heathen filth, the lot of you.
Dr Kurt Langstrom

人不可貌相,海水不可斗量
Kal El
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 1063 times
Has gotten kudos: 1031 times

Postby maoman » Sat Jan 09, 2016 13:06

When it comes to paid annual leave, Taiwan is pretty much at the bottom of the heap, internationally speaking. Taiwan is most definitely NOT a worker's paradise. Scandinavia this ain't.
Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle.

These users gave kudos to the author maoman for the post (total 2):
Kal El (Sun Jan 10, 2016 14:48) • ThreadKiller (Sat Jan 09, 2016 13:14)
maoman
Admin

Has given kudos: 1758 times
Has gotten kudos: 1224 times

Postby HeadhonchoII » Sat Jan 09, 2016 18:17

Americans have no entitlement to paid annual leave but in practice most get some paid leave; although the average they take off is something like 10 days.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -time.html

Taiwans civil servants have a more generous system, but you need to be working many years to rack up the leave. A lot of workers in Taiwan don't get any paid leave in the first year, then it goes to 7 days paid leave for the second year (as far as I know).

Of course spare a thought for the forced unpaid leave that some people may endure.
But you got to ask yourself the question....what would astronaut Chris Hatfield do?
HeadhonchoII
Amazeballs

Has given kudos: 125 times
Has gotten kudos: 235 times

Postby Icon » Mon Jan 11, 2016 09:49

A lot of people, actually. In certain industries, it has become cyclical. But it goes mostly unreported.
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Eat the delicious food. Walk in the sunshine. Jump in the ocean. Say the truth that you’re carrying in your heart like hidden treasure. Be silly. Be kind. Be weird. There’s no time for anything else
Icon
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 502 times
Has gotten kudos: 796 times

Postby cranky laowai » Mon Jan 09, 2017 17:48

sandman wrote:
cranky laowai wrote:Try to ensure you'll be able to carry over at least some unused vacation days into the next year.

I'm limited to five in that regard, but that may be because I'm in a semi-governmental position. More might be possible elsewhere (or even within the gummit).

I just the other day asked HR how many paid days I have left. They told me, so I asked if I could carry them. They said no. So I told my boss I have to take three weeks off right over the presidential elections. One phonecall from him and HR said I could carry the time over. Its all negotiable.

I just had someone explain to me that because of recent changes by the government re. work hours, etc., unused vacation days will no longer be able to be carried over. Instead, employers will have to pay employees for such days -- which doesn't make my cash-starved employer happy.

This may apply across all sectors. I advise everyone to check with your HR about this.
cranky laowai
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 142 times
Has gotten kudos: 393 times

Postby HeadhonchoII » Mon Jan 09, 2017 20:54

Our lot let us carry 5 days into the next quarter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
But you got to ask yourself the question....what would astronaut Chris Hatfield do?
HeadhonchoII
Amazeballs

Postby SuperS54 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 14:47

HeadhonchoII wrote:Our lot let us carry 5 days into the next quarter.

Ours used to allow a carry however after the new laws they are apparently no longer allowed to do so after your join year end, we get cashed out instead. To counter this the company have implemented leave calculations based on your join date to the company. In the past if you had, say, 3 years in you would have holiday entitlements from Jan 1st of your 3rd year, now the entitlements start from your join date, sucks if you joined in December as you won't have any holiday entitlement in 2017 until December other than what you carried over from 2016 (anything still carried to Dec will be cashed out to start a new year).
SuperS54
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 42 times
Has gotten kudos: 15 times

Postby HeadhonchoII » Thu Jan 12, 2017 17:12

This is the problem with Taiwan.
The companies mostly operate in a spirit which says 'screw you' to the employees...making it a shit place to work.

HeadhonchoII
Amazeballs

Postby Kal El » Thu Jan 12, 2017 21:37

HeadhonchoII wrote:This is the problem with Taiwan.
The companies mostly operate in a spirit which says 'screw you' to the employees...making it a shit place to work.

Didn't you blokes sign a contract? I did, and no worries with any of this shite. :idunno:
Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash.
Sir Winston Churchill

Dr Kurt Langstrom

人不可貌相,海水不可斗量
Kal El
Taiwanease Deity

Postby cranky laowai » Thu Jan 12, 2017 21:46

If the government makes such contract terms illegal, then that part of the contract no longer counts -- though the company may be willing to work something out with you privately.
cranky laowai
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 142 times
Has gotten kudos: 393 times

Postby Kal El » Fri Jan 13, 2017 07:10

cranky laowai wrote:If the government makes such contract terms illegal, then that part of the contract no longer counts -- though the company may be willing to work something out with you privately.

I understand that, but didn't your contract cover paid leave and such so that you knew before hand what you would get or not? To be clear, I'm not trying to be trollish, so I'm willing to admit that maybe I'm not understanding something here.
Sir Winston Churchill

Dr Kurt Langstrom

人不可貌相,海水不可斗量
Kal El
Taiwanease Deity

Postby HeadhonchoII » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:59

My point was yes there are contracts and they help but if a company is constantly trying to shaft its workers contracts are not getting to fix the problem.

HeadhonchoII
Amazeballs

Previous

Return to Working in Taiwan