Becoming Taiwanese: the Numbers by Home Country

Taiwan Forums at Taiwanease can make your life in Taiwan easier.

Moderator: ThreadKiller

Becoming Taiwanese: the Numbers by Home Country

Postby cranky laowai » Mon May 13, 2013 18:31

Acquirement of ROC Nationality, 1982-2012, by Home Country

Vietnam 67,632
Indonesia 23,324
Philippines 4,283
Cambodia 4,182
Myanmar 2,251
Thailand 1,277
Korea 1,066
unspecified 692
other 550
Malaysia 273
Japan 154
Singapore 20
United States 17
Germany 3
Austria 0
Italy 0

TOTAL 105,724

No other nationalities listed in the original document. I have no idea why they chose to list Austria and Italy (both with zero cases) while not being more specific about "other" -- not to mention the odd "unspecified."

The vast majority of those cases are spouses of Taiwanese men.

And keep in mind that spouses from the PRC don't count.

sources:

These users gave kudos to the author cranky laowai for the post:
maoman (Mon May 13, 2013 18:47)
cranky laowai
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Has given kudos: 151 times
Has gotten kudos: 416 times

Re: Becoming Taiwanese: the numbers by home country

Postby John Ross » Mon May 13, 2013 18:48

Excellent work Cranky. It's possible that "Austria" is meant to be "Australia." :smile:
John Ross
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 323 times
Has gotten kudos: 533 times

Postby Big Vern » Mon May 13, 2013 19:00

John Ross wrote:Excellent work Cranky. It's possible that "Austria" is meant to be "Australia." :smile:

In which case it couldn't be zero - as we have all been told many, many times.
Big Vern
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 453 times
Has gotten kudos: 737 times

Postby Kal El » Mon May 13, 2013 21:04

Big Vern wrote:
John Ross wrote:Excellent work Cranky. It's possible that "Austria" is meant to be "Australia." :smile:

:roflmao: Quite!

I'm interested in why South Africa isn't on that list as I know of at least two who naturalized last year. :idunno:
Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash.
Sir Winston Churchill

Heathen filth, the lot of you.
Dr Kurt Langstrom

人不可貌相,海水不可斗量
Kal El
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 1127 times
Has gotten kudos: 1080 times

Postby Big Vern » Mon May 13, 2013 21:33

Kal El wrote:
Big Vern wrote:

I'm interested in why South Africa isn't on that list as I know of at least two who naturalized last year. :idunno:

I often play pool with a former South African woman (hope I covered all bases there :smile: ) who became Taiwanese last year. That's in NanKan - the armpit of Taoyuan, which as you can imagine is up against some pretty stiff competition.

She's a fascinating woman. Totally fluent in Taiwanese but shite at Mandarin. Lived a life.
Big Vern
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 453 times
Has gotten kudos: 737 times

Postby Kal El » Mon May 13, 2013 22:06

Big Vern wrote:
Kal El wrote:
Big Vern wrote:

I often play pool with a former South African woman (hope I covered all bases there :smile: ) who became Taiwanese last year. That's in NanKan - the armpit of Taoyuan, which as you can imagine is up against some pretty stiff competition.

She's a fascinating woman. Totally fluent in Taiwanese but shite at Mandarin. Lived a life.

So that's three for 2012 that we know of.
Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash.
Sir Winston Churchill

Dr Kurt Langstrom

人不可貌相,海水不可斗量
Kal El
Taiwanease Deity

Re: Becoming Taiwanese: the Numbers by Home Country

Postby cranky laowai » Thu Jan 05, 2017 16:10

This seems like a good time to update the figures.

Keep in mind these do not include people from the PRC. Also, because of various legal situations, here and abroad, the vast majority of those people can retain or regain their original citizenship. But not Americans....

Acquirement of ROC Nationality, 1982-2015, by Home Country

COUNTRY / TOTAL
Vietnam 77,584
Indonesia 24,805
Philippines 5,096
Cambodia 4,229
Myanmar 2,386
Thailand 1,394
Korea 1,083
Unspecified 796
Others 734
Malaysia 344
Japan 227
USA 28
Singapore 25
Germany 5
Austria 0
Italy 0
GRAND TOTAL 118,736

source
NB: The MOI chart has the wrong totals; 2001, 2002, 2003, and 2015 are not included in the total, probably through some sort of MOI error in entering the material into Excel. My totals, however, include all relevant years and should be correct.
cranky laowai
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Postby Kal El » Thu Jan 05, 2017 21:54

cranky laowai wrote:This seems like a good time to update the figures.

Keep in mind these do not include people from the PRC. Also, because of various legal situations, here and abroad, the vast majority of those people can retain or regain their original citizenship. But not Americans....

Acquirement of ROC Nationality, 1982-2015, by Home Country

COUNTRY / TOTAL
Vietnam 77,584
Indonesia 24,805
Philippines 5,096
Cambodia 4,229
Myanmar 2,386
Thailand 1,394
Korea 1,083
Unspecified 796
Others 734
Malaysia 344
Japan 227
USA 28
Singapore 25
Germany 5
Austria 0
Italy 0
GRAND TOTAL 118,736

source
NB: The MOI chart has the wrong totals; 2001, 2002, 2003, and 2015 are not included in the total, probably through some sort of MOI error in entering the material into Excel. My totals, however, include all relevant years and should be correct.

I doubt either list is correct, because you have Austria and Italy at zero (why?), but not South Africa. I know of at least three South Africans (males) that have become Taiwanese citizens since 2010 (one in Yilan, one in Hsinchu and one in Tainan). I have heard of five others, but I don't know them personally. Also, I personally know of two Brits (males), five Indians, one Pakistani, two Bangladeshis, four Sri Lankans a Kenyan and a Tanzanian (all males) who have done the same since 2010. And I seriosly doubt the entire Indian sub-continent, South Africa, Tanzania, the UK and Kenya fall under the dubious title of "unspecified" or "others".
Sir Winston Churchill

Dr Kurt Langstrom

人不可貌相,海水不可斗量
Kal El
Taiwanease Deity

Postby cranky laowai » Thu Jan 05, 2017 22:29

Kal El wrote:I doubt either list is correct, because you have Austria and Italy at zero (why?), but not South Africa. I know of at least three South Africans (males) that have become Taiwanese citizens since 2010 (one in Yilan, one in Hsinchu and one in Tainan). I have heard of five others, but I don't know them personally. Also, I personally know of two Brits (males), five Indians, one Pakistani, two Bangladeshis, four Sri Lankans a Kenyan and a Tanzanian (all males) who have done the same since 2010. And I seriosly doubt the entire Indian sub-continent, South Africa, Tanzania, the UK and Kenya fall under the dubious title of "unspecified" or "others".

They do on the Ministry of the Interior's list. I have no idea why they do it that way, though. It makes no sense.
I would love to see a full accounting; but the government hasn't supplied one.

You're Taiwanese, so maybe they'd listen to you. And if you call them, maybe you could let them know that mistakes in their Excel chart undercount their new citizens by tens of thousands.
cranky laowai
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Postby belgian pie » Thu Jan 05, 2017 22:35

Unspecified ... who wants to admit he's from Belgium?
belgian pie
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 1 time
Has gotten kudos: 18 times

Postby belgian pie » Thu Jan 05, 2017 22:36

cranky laowai wrote:
Kal El wrote:I doubt either list is correct, because you have Austria and Italy at zero (why?), but not South Africa. I know of at least three South Africans (males) that have become Taiwanese citizens since 2010 (one in Yilan, one in Hsinchu and one in Tainan). I have heard of five others, but I don't know them personally. Also, I personally know of two Brits (males), five Indians, one Pakistani, two Bangladeshis, four Sri Lankans a Kenyan and a Tanzanian (all males) who have done the same since 2010. And I seriosly doubt the entire Indian sub-continent, South Africa, Tanzania, the UK and Kenya fall under the dubious title of "unspecified" or "others".

They do on the Ministry of the Interior's list. I have no idea why they do it that way, though. It makes no sense.
I would love to see a full accounting; but the government hasn't supplied one.

You're Taiwanese, so maybe they'd listen to you. And if you call them, maybe you could let them know that mistakes in their Excel chart undercount their new citizens by tens of thousands.

Does anything make sense in Taiwan?
belgian pie
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 1 time
Has gotten kudos: 18 times

Return to Living in Taiwan