Does teaching kids increase or diminish the desire to have children?

Teaching English is a very common job for foreigners in Taiwan. Whether you want to share your experiences as a teacher in Taiwan or learn from the experiences of others, this is the right place for you!

Does teaching kids increase or diminish the desire to have children?

Postby John Ross » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:20

Does teaching young devils put you off the idea of having your own little buggers? Does seeing nice parents burdened with evil kids make you realize that children are something of a lottery - as much luck of the draw as one's own efforts to raise them well?

I'd say on balance that teaching kids - which I only do very occasionally these days - actually increases one's fondness for children because the great majority of kids are nice. I enjoy the ease at which they laugh, their honesty and their wide-eyed wonder about the world.

These users gave kudos to the author John Ross for the post (total 2):
Just Jennifer (Thu Dec 18, 2014 00:43) • jimipresley (Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:57)
John Ross
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 315 times
Has gotten kudos: 523 times

Re: Does teaching kids increase or diminish the desire to have children?

Postby TainanCowboy » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:06

John Ross wrote:Does teaching young devils put you off the idea of having your own little buggers? Does seeing nice parents burdened with evil kids make you realize that children are something of a lottery - as much luck of the draw as one's own efforts to raise them well?
I'd say on balance that teaching kids - which I only do very occasionally these days - actually increases one's fondness for children because the great majority of kids are nice. I enjoy the ease at which they laugh, their honesty and their wide-eyed wonder about the world.

I would say that your affection is enhanced by the fact that you do not have to deal with these smaller life-forms after they leave your class-room.
Distance can do that.
I mean, it's not like you have to put up with them for years and years and years as they simply refuse to leave your home. Develop annoying personalities and eat your food.
And blow cabbage farts near the fan blowing in your direction.

But then, perhaps I should note that I do not "teach" children for a living.

Although they do seem to follow me around and stare at me, wide-eyed and open mouthed, as if waiting for some pearl of wisdom to come from my quizzical face. Why they seem to like me I have no idea. Perhaps their leaders have sent them to this planet to gather information on life-forms here. I make faces at them and rather than running away - they giggle and ape my actions.
Weird creature they are.
Yes, they do start out "cute" - but I sometimes see a glimmer of evil in their close-set eyes.

I do not think of them as "children."
I prefer to view them as "Little People."
(and from a distance)
The facts expressed here belong to everybody. The opinions are mine.
I don’t post political comments or articles to convince those who disagree with me,
I post them so that those who might agree with such positions will know they are not alone.
Some things are opinions and can be argued - some things are facts and cannot.
Proverbs, Chapter 16 verse 9 <--- When in doubt, remember this.

These users gave kudos to the author TainanCowboy for the post:
jimipresley (Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:23)
TainanCowboy
Taiwanease Royalty

Has given kudos: 770 times
Has gotten kudos: 472 times

Postby jimipresley » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:18

I like children. I get along well with them. There was a point in my life, though (in my mid-thirties), that I decided that it would be irresponsible of me to procreate, because I didn't think that I would make a perfect parent. Now that I am approaching my 50's, I am quite wistful about that decision, largely due to my maturity as regards the topic, but mainly due to my being a surrogate father, by proxy, to so many children over the last 14 years.

In my case, teaching kids has has increased my desire to have children. I'll be dead within 10 years or so, though. Hence my steadfast reluctance. :twocents:

TC wrote:I would say that your affection is enhanced by the fact that you do not have to deal with these smaller life-forms after they leave your class-room.

That's a money quote, right there.
Do you ever listen to yourself? - maoman

How clever of you to take an orange and a dog biscuit and build a time machine. - Bunks

Some countries cultivate vast populations of idiots for the purpose of maintaining sham democracies. - Toad

These users gave kudos to the author jimipresley for the post:
Just Jennifer (Thu Dec 18, 2014 00:43)
jimipresley
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 2370 times
Has gotten kudos: 1347 times

Postby belgian pie » Sun Nov 23, 2014 15:11

Visiting a restaurant in Taiwan, any restaurant, will diminish your desire to have children. :grin:
belgian pie
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 1 time
Has gotten kudos: 18 times

Postby ThreadKiller » Sun Nov 23, 2014 20:22

John Ross wrote:Does seeing nice parents burdened with evil kids make you realize that children are something of a lottery - as much luck of the draw as one's own efforts to raise them well?

:twocents: When kids do happen to be little shits, I find that the parents are seldom blameless.

John Ross wrote:Does teaching young devils put you off the idea of having your own little buggers?

It's put me off humanity in general, really.
"Sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here." (Melvin Udall)

These users gave kudos to the author ThreadKiller for the post:
Toad (Sun Nov 23, 2014 20:38)
ThreadKiller
Taiwanease Royalty

Has given kudos: 1640 times
Has gotten kudos: 886 times

Postby Big Vern » Sun Nov 23, 2014 20:44

I've observed excellent teachers of young learners and they virtually never have badly behaved students. The reason is their classroom management techniques are outstanding. Mine weren't, so I quit teaching children - except as favours. If financial necessity ever forces me to teach them again I will try to learn from the teachers I know are good at it and copy their techniques.

When I did teach young learners it never put me off having children myself because, even though I consider my classroom management techniques to be poor, Taiwanese kids are generally very well-behaved. For around 5 years 80% of my contact hours were young learners and I only recall three kids as being memorably unpleasant.
Big Vern
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 396 times
Has gotten kudos: 667 times

Postby channamasala » Sun Feb 22, 2015 23:55

It neither increased nor decreased my desire - I didn't want kids during the brief window when I taught kids, and I don't want kids now. Nothing changed. I liked 'em well enough but was happy to return to a kid-free home.
"So it's true. You work with your FEEEEEEE-males. Arm them. YOU FORCE THEM TO WEAR CLOTHING! Sickening."
channamasala
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 138 times
Has gotten kudos: 193 times

Postby Andrew » Mon Feb 23, 2015 08:49

Teaching some students taught me things not to do when raising a child.
Andrew
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 10 times
Has gotten kudos: 23 times

Postby Bunks » Mon Feb 23, 2015 13:21

For me it was a diminishing effect. Seeing my sisters kids its the same. I can get quite enough joy out of the things I do without the need to wipe someone's arse or pay through the nose for a piece of plastic at the same time. Kids are ok for a couple of hours and then they just become dull or annoying. I am selfish. The cat is enough for me. My sister is due to have her fourth. That's even too much for me handle as an uncle. I can't imagine what it must be like to have to parent four children 24/7.
Bunks
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 164 times
Has gotten kudos: 290 times

Postby maoman » Mon Feb 23, 2015 14:11

It had no effect one way or the other. I'd always thought I'd like to be a dad, and teaching didn't change that, but it didn't fill me with paternal feelings, either.
Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle.
maoman
Admin

Has given kudos: 1775 times
Has gotten kudos: 1251 times

Postby Jos » Tue Jun 14, 2016 16:50

Just my opinion as I know few English Teachers and most are "gay" some are straight and I could say that these Teachers are quite strict and good ones.

I think they are scared of responsibilities and commitment to raise their own kids.
Jos
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 2 times
Has gotten kudos: 36 times

Postby Kal El » Tue Jun 14, 2016 21:17

I never wanted or planned on having any, and teaching them never swayed me in any way either. Yet, somehow, I still managed to have a nine year old who has currently been sitting on the shitter for ten minutes (and counting) making battle sounds. :idunno:
Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash.
Sir Winston Churchill

Heathen filth, the lot of you.
Dr Kurt Langstrom

人不可貌相,海水不可斗量
Kal El
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 1097 times
Has gotten kudos: 1049 times

Postby Jos » Wed Jun 15, 2016 07:07

1. Straight teacher - He loves teaching small children's and children's loves him a lot, he doesn't like teaching teenage human never listen to teachers (according to him)
His retired now and he still missed those little ones from time to time.

He lost his Dad when he was only 17 so I think he was scared in many things in life, worried what will happen to his own children (if there's something happen to him)
wife will bear all the suffering raising the kids. In my opinion he was scared of commitment (he didn't get married) although he is very responsible man. I admired him and sad at the same time his now battling lung cancer and alone.

2. 3rd gender teacher - He was very strict teacher and very good at his profession and I also admired him, his handsome too.
When he was a child he didn't feel the closeness with his mom, perhaps his mom was busy working as office secretary and not much story about his dad.
But I know he loves his mom no matter what and I remember when he was cutting some vegetable he mistakenly cut his own finger and call his MOMMmmmmm! (overseas) :grin:

Anyway, he want but probably he changed his mind not to have 1, Gay couple also have similar problem with straight couple.
Jos
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 2 times
Has gotten kudos: 36 times

Postby divea » Wed Jun 15, 2016 08:45

When I walk into the classroom, I enjoy my work, I see intelligence, kindness, silliness and loads of love. And I feel happy that I have little ones at home. I wouldn't want to walk into a home that does not have dirty feet and stinky hands. Not after the overload of sheer marvel I experience at work.
Work is the curse of the drinking classes- Wilde
divea
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 1316 times
Has gotten kudos: 703 times

Return to Teaching English in Taiwan