Mga Pinoy's and Pinay's - Yuhooo!

Taiwan is home to so many Filipinos - this is a place for Filipinos across Taiwan to get together online.
Taiwan ang bagong tahanan ng mga Filipinos-eto ang lugar ng mga Filipino patungo sa taiwan para sa isat isa sa online.

Re: Mga Pinoy's and Pinay's - Yuhooo!

Postby HeadhonchoII » Tue May 17, 2016 14:43

Toad wrote:I was going to start a thread on Duterte's (apparent) electoral victory. Is this the place for it? Any thoughts?

Personally, I suspect nothing will change. Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

I used to think you exaggerated somewhat the issues in the Philippines.
I don't anymore!

Still it seems that crime is the number one perceived problem (or actual problem) so if he sorts it out in any significant way then he may be what the doctor ordered, no matter how distasteful his comments are. It is easy for us on the outside to second guess people decisions. Maybe they figured that all the pols are in it for themselves but this fella might at least make their neighborhood a bit safer. Might always being the operative word for a politician.
But you got to ask yourself the question....what would astronaut Chris Hatfield do?
HeadhonchoII
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 127 times
Has gotten kudos: 252 times

Re: Mga Pinoy's and Pinay's - Yuhooo!

Postby Toad » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:44

Still it seems that crime is the number one perceived problem (or actual problem) so if he sorts it out in any significant way then he may be what the doctor ordered, no matter how distasteful his comments are.

A bit of a news update from Asia's Most Christian Country.

I have some acquaintances in the Philippine Army who have just been redeployed to a different part of the country. They're being told to shut down drug factories, presumably with lethal force where necessary. The local police chief has been summarily dismissed and replaced with a new guy, who is apparently out to clean up this town.

It's hard for ordinary people to grasp how completely out-of-hand drugs are in this country - there are entire islands that are basically run by the meth dealers. Apparently there are even drug labs being operated inside the prisons. Crime likewise - the police are afraid of the crooks. There's a guy down the road from me who has killed two people. He's also a drunk, an illegal squatter, and a child-abuser. Everyone knows. He's still walking free because he's part of some tinpot gang, which renders him untouchable. He's not a one-off; go a few hundred meters down the road in the other direction and you'll probably find another guy just like him.

While we were chatting, one of the guys suggested the gubmint should just set aside an island and dump all the criminals on it. I think he's got a point. Duterte's "I'm going to kill you all" rhetoric doesn't work when you're literally talking about 1-2% of the adult population who are violent criminals and a further 10-20% who are petty thieves, scammers, or so mentally disturbed that they can never be a functioning part of society. At least if you set aside a "prison island" you could treat the criminals humanely: give them a nipa hut, a quarter-acre of garden and a goat and they'd be no worse off than everyone else, and probably a lot better-off than they were yesterday.
Toad
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Has given kudos: 856 times
Has gotten kudos: 649 times

Previous

Return to Filipino Corner