Taiwan drivers license: 6-year duration for foreigners

Cars, motorcycles, and scooters in Taiwan. Here's where the greasemonkeys and gearheads talk shop. Oh, and if you're looking to buy a used car, check out the vehicle listings at www.taiwanted.com.

Taiwan drivers license: 6-year duration for foreigners

Postby cranky laowai » Wed Nov 23, 2011 09:36

Finally!

Foreigners’ Taiwanese driver’s licenses will soon remain valid for six years, the same period as Taiwanese, thanks to an amendment to the Road Traffic Security Rules (道路交通安全規則) passed recently, the Ministry of Transportation and Communications (MOTC) said yesterday.

Foreign drivers get good news

A long time ago it was possible for a foreigner to get six years if one spent time and money and got Richard Hartzell on your side. Then they changed the rules to solidify the ill-considered restriction linking drivers licenses to ARC durations.

This is such a basic thing it's shameful the government took so long to remove the restrictions. But at least it's finally going to be taken off the books.
cranky laowai
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Has given kudos: 160 times
Has gotten kudos: 429 times

Re: Taiwan drivers license: 6-year duration for foreigners

Postby Dragonbones » Wed Nov 23, 2011 14:40

Excellent news! :)
“To cook for the pleasure of it, to devote a portion of our leisure to it, is to declare our independence from the corporations seeking to organize our every waking moment into yet another occasion for consumption." --Michael Pollan
Dragonbones
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 509 times
Has gotten kudos: 1028 times

Postby sweetangel » Wed Nov 23, 2011 15:46

cranky laowai wrote:Finally!

Foreigners’ Taiwanese driver’s licenses will soon remain valid for six years, the same period as Taiwanese, thanks to an amendment to the Road Traffic Security Rules (道路交通安全規則) passed recently, the Ministry of Transportation and Communications (MOTC) said yesterday.

Foreign drivers get good news

A long time ago it was possible for a foreigner to get six years if one spent time and money and got Richard Hartzell on your side. Then they changed the rules to solidify the ill-considered restriction linking drivers licenses to ARC durations.

This is such a basic thing it's shameful the government took so long to remove the restrictions. But at least it's finally going to be taken off the books.

Actually, the duration of driver's license for Taiwanese is 8 years. I remember when I first applied for a driver's license here on an APRC, it took the officials more than 2 hours to figure out how long the duration will be on my license. Apparently, it was the first time that the government employees in that MVO office in Chengde Rd. have seen an APRC. Imagine my frustration! In the end, they gave me 6 years.
sweetangel
Learning the ropes

Has given kudos: 0 time
Has gotten kudos: 0 time

Postby Tempo Gain » Thu Nov 24, 2011 01:31

Good news, it was a hassle. At least it was always a simple process though. Nothing like a trip to DMV back home.
Tempo Gain
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 129 times
Has gotten kudos: 165 times

Postby Wah Um Dzai » Fri Nov 25, 2011 16:17

sweetangel wrote:In the end, they gave me 6 years.

Same here.
Wah Um Dzai
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 1 time
Has gotten kudos: 2 times

Postby CPK » Wed Mar 07, 2012 16:54

How do you go about getting a licnese in Taiwan? Is it a fairly easy process?

I have an international driving license, will that also be recognized in the city?

Thanks!
CPK
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 0 time
Has gotten kudos: 0 time

Postby steve4nlanguage » Thu May 31, 2012 02:00

In the past, my scooter license was always valid for only a year, when my ARC expired. Imagine my surprise last week when it was renewed until 2019 (7 years, for some reason) and I'm not even an APRC holder yet :bravo:

These users gave kudos to the author steve4nlanguage for the post:
maoman (Thu May 31, 2012 11:47)
steve4nlanguage
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 2 times
Has gotten kudos: 3 times

Postby Beaker » Thu May 31, 2012 12:17

CPK wrote:How do you go about getting a licnese in Taiwan? Is it a fairly easy process?

I have an international driving license, will that also be recognized in the city?

Thanks!

Your International license will be recognized for 30 days after arriving. After that, you can go to the police station and get it stamped to extend the duration.

To get a motorcycle license, you can reference our guide found here.
-Beak
You have no idea where I've been... unless you're stalking me... in which case, can you tell me where I was last week?
Beaker
Tech

Has given kudos: 60 times
Has gotten kudos: 97 times

Postby steve4nlanguage » Thu May 31, 2012 22:38

Beaker wrote:
CPK wrote:To get a motorcycle license, you can reference our guide found here.

I just read through the above link, and would like to note a correction. The road test is not required to obtain a Light Motorcycle license, only the written test.
steve4nlanguage
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 2 times
Has gotten kudos: 3 times

Postby Dragonbones » Thu Oct 24, 2013 00:06

Ok, so I just HAVE to share this. Bear with me.

I got a new ARC today (for 1 year). Then I applied for the PARC today; I'll get it in 6-8 weeks if approved.

I went into the BMV to get new bike and car DL's (which expired 2 days ago) with the ARC. I applied for DL's based on the new 1-year ARC, and happened to ask about a lifetime DL based on the PARC, and the lady said yup, you can get one, so why bother applying now for a six-year DL, when you can get a lifetime DL just two months from now?

Er, well, because my DL's expired two days ago, and I'd be driving illegally for two months before getting a valid license!

(Remember, this is the government agency responsible for ensuring people drive on valid licenses, yeah?)

Her response: Well, as long as you drive carefully and don't break any laws, it's ok. :facepalm:

Taiwan, up!
“To cook for the pleasure of it, to devote a portion of our leisure to it, is to declare our independence from the corporations seeking to organize our every waking moment into yet another occasion for consumption." --Michael Pollan

These users gave kudos to the author Dragonbones for the post (total 3):
Big Vern (Tue Oct 06, 2015 23:13) • Mrthumb (Sat Oct 26, 2013 08:21) • Just Jennifer (Thu Oct 24, 2013 02:01)
Dragonbones
Taiwanease Deity

Postby cranky laowai » Thu Oct 24, 2013 00:39

Great story.

It has me wondering, though: What is this wonderful-sounding lifetime drivers license, and how do PARC holders and/or others get one?
cranky laowai
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Postby HeadhonchoII » Thu Oct 24, 2013 01:42

All licenses being issued and renewed are automatically lifetime with no expiry date, according to my understanding.
But you got to ask yourself the question....what would astronaut Chris Hatfield do?
HeadhonchoII
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 128 times
Has gotten kudos: 256 times

Postby Dragonbones » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:28

Yeah, it seems like they'll give you one the next time you go in. Might want to specifically ask for it, although I don't know whether that's necessary. Certainly if you don't have a PARC or citizenship, they're giving them out with six-year limits now.
Dragonbones
Taiwanease Deity

Postby Jaboney » Tue Oct 06, 2015 22:18

As of a couple of months ago, BC and Taiwan have a reciprocal recognition agreement in place. I can't find what's required in an attestation of authenticity in order to make the swap. Does anyone know?

Thanks!
Shared pain is lessened; shared joy, increased — thus do we refute entropy. - Spider Robinson
Jaboney
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Has given kudos: 199 times

Postby cranky laowai » Tue Oct 06, 2015 23:12

Jaboney wrote:As of a couple of months ago, BC and Taiwan have a reciprocal recognition agreement in place. I can't find what's required in an attestation of authenticity in order to make the swap. Does anyone know?

When I swapped a license from my home state for a TW one some eight years ago, the people looked in a book they had to see if my license matched what they had on file for what a proper license from my state looks like. So since this is a relatively new thing their book may not be fully updated yet, so I recommend going in with the URL of the relevant .gov.tw page to show them.

Once they were satisfied I had to get a simple health check (in Zhonghe, just across the street). And they made me take a driving test (but not a written one) for my scooter license. But that may not apply to BC.

Good luck.
cranky laowai
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Return to Cars, Scooters, and Driving in Taiwan