Most Attractive Accent

Looking for love in all the wrong places? Tell us about it! We probably won't be able to help, but it might be good for a chuckle.

Moderator: jimipresley

Most Attractive Accent

Postby ChinaCat » Thu Oct 24, 2013 20:06

NPR Media Player

Good morning, y'all. I'm David Greene, with some poll results. The dating site Cupid.com has released a survey rating regional accents. Most attractive accent in North America: The Southern Drawl. And if you can't quite pull that off, your best bet is to get a coffee in New York. That accent came in second. New Jersey and Boston rounded up the top 5, along with the Western accent.

To me, the glaring omission: Yinz in downtown Pittsburgh.

You're listening to MORNING EDITION.
You have been permanently banned from this board. Reason given for ban: CONTEMPT - Rude, dismissive, or disrespectful responses to official moderator communications. A ban has been issued on your username. - Forumosa.com
ChinaCat
Taiwanease Royalty

Has given kudos: 936 times
Has gotten kudos: 686 times

Re: Most Attractive Accent

Postby Budgerigar » Thu Oct 24, 2013 22:11

Least attractive accent: Boston

"Whez Meery? Weh goin' t' th' pahty. But fuest we gotta go t' th' pehky [= liquor store]," etc. Irritating in a male and repulsive in a woman (IMO).

Most attractive accent: Ireland, especially in the north.

Sexy in a woman and strong in a man.
"The iconoclasm need not be loud and messy."--John Williams

"As I live and breathe," he muttered, "I swear I'll never drop another drink. Drink another drop. Whichever."--Derek Robinson

"So much death and no coffee to be had."--Daniel Woodrell
Budgerigar
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 58 times
Has gotten kudos: 56 times

Postby Elegua » Thu Oct 24, 2013 22:32

Whatever accent Ygritte has. :thumbsup:
Vida de Otário

....and distinguished nothing except a single green light, minute and far away, that might have been the end of a dock.
Elegua
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 82 times
Has gotten kudos: 266 times

Postby Budgerigar » Thu Oct 24, 2013 22:35

Oh and Brazilian accents can be sexy, too.
"The iconoclasm need not be loud and messy."--John Williams

"As I live and breathe," he muttered, "I swear I'll never drop another drink. Drink another drop. Whichever."--Derek Robinson

"So much death and no coffee to be had."--Daniel Woodrell
Budgerigar
Taiwanease Gentry

Has gotten kudos: 56 times

Postby ChinaCat » Thu Oct 24, 2013 23:16

I like most southern (US) accents, especially Alabama and Georgia. But, I also like the Beijing accent when spoken softly by a pretty Beijing gal. Irish is nice, too.
You have been permanently banned from this board. Reason given for ban: CONTEMPT - Rude, dismissive, or disrespectful responses to official moderator communications. A ban has been issued on your username. - Forumosa.com
ChinaCat
Taiwanease Royalty

Postby Tempo Gain » Thu Oct 24, 2013 23:49

ChinaCat wrote:I also like the Beijing accent when spoken softly by a pretty Beijing gal. Irish is nice, too.

Any accent when spoken softly by a pretty gal, sounds pretty good.

These users gave kudos to the author Tempo Gain for the post (total 2):
ChinaCat (Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:45) • divea (Fri Oct 25, 2013 00:34)
Tempo Gain
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 118 times
Has gotten kudos: 155 times

Postby Elegua » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:18

ChinaCat wrote:I like most southern (US) accents, especially Alabama and Georgia. But, I also like the Beijing accent when spoken softly by a pretty Beijing gal. Irish is nice, too.

Please call me when you find a girl from Beijing that speaks softly.
Vida de Otário

....and distinguished nothing except a single green light, minute and far away, that might have been the end of a dock.

These users gave kudos to the author Elegua for the post:
Budgerigar (Fri Oct 25, 2013 19:59)
Elegua
Taiwanease Gentry

Postby ChinaCat » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:47

Elegua wrote:Please call me when you find a girl from Beijing that speaks softly.

:lol:

I've seen them! Well, I've seen one, and she was wicked sexy... chipao-wearing, soft-speaking... Mmmm.... :lovestruck:
ChinaCat
Taiwanease Royalty

Postby Toad » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:03

Most Scottish accents are nice (with the possible exception of Glaswegian). I just wish I could understand what they were saying.
Toad
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Has given kudos: 882 times
Has gotten kudos: 667 times

Postby Elegua » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:13

Toad wrote:Most Scottish accents are nice (with the possible exception of Glaswegian). I just wish I could understand what they were saying.

That's why it sounds nice. You know, like those songs that sound so good until you get a translation of the dribble the lyrics really are.
Vida de Otário

Elegua
Taiwanease Gentry

Postby divea » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:54

Sometimes, not always. But sometimes, the Germans speaking English is fascinating!! I like it. Sometimes Germans like garble up stuff and it's hard to decipher what they're saying but when they are clear, precise and if they're guys with piercing serious blue eyes (not hard to find)and they make eye contact and talk, like slowly..............really attractive.

I mean it may be TMI but you asked.
Work is the curse of the drinking classes- Wilde

These users gave kudos to the author divea for the post:
ChinaCat (Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:28)
divea
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 1317 times
Has gotten kudos: 705 times

Postby sandman » Fri Oct 25, 2013 13:40

divea wrote:Sometimes, not always. But sometimes, the Germans speaking English is fascinating!! I like it. Sometimes Germans like garble up stuff and it's hard to decipher what they're saying but when they are clear, precise and if they're guys with piercing serious blue eyes (not hard to find)and they make eye contact and talk, like slowly..............really attractive.

I mean it may be TMI but you asked.

I like the sound of Germans speaking English, too. Dunno why. Actually, I like the sound of most people. As long as they're saying nice things about me.
About the only accent I cannot stomach is the English home counties. But that said, if one was saying something like: "Ohhh! Yahhh! Thet feels SO good, you dirty Scotch MONSTAHH! AHHHHH! AHHHHH!" Then I could probably bear it.

For a little while, at least.

These users gave kudos to the author sandman for the post:
ChinaCat (Fri Oct 25, 2013 15:08)
sandman
Taiwanease Royalty

Has given kudos: 300 times
Has gotten kudos: 794 times

Postby Corns » Mon Oct 28, 2013 05:46

sandman wrote:About the only accent I cannot stomach is the English home counties.

Those are the only civilized accents on the isle! :lol: I once dated a woman from the North and I just couldn't get over her nasty Mancunian dialect. Very, very rough and uncouth. The only accent that is worse is Australian (which is a convict accent as far as I'm concerned).

sandman wrote: But that said, if one was saying something like: "Ohhh! Yahhh! Thet feels SO good, you dirty Scotch MONSTAHH! AHHHHH! AHHHHH!" Then I could probably bear it.

What she was probably saying was "It's even smaller than a fried Mars Bar!" :lol: :wink:
Chairman of Overseas Canadians United in Nominating Trump

You're actually a nihilistic sociopath wrapped up in a Canadian flag pretending to be some giant intellect tapping away from a southern French shed.---Broonale
Corns
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 123 times
Has gotten kudos: 205 times

Postby Hannibal » Mon Oct 28, 2013 08:48

Woody does it for me.
Na na na na hey hey
Hannibal
Taiwanease Royalty

Has gotten kudos: 454 times

Postby Lili » Mon Oct 28, 2013 22:09

Anything spoken by a beatle nut-filled mouth
Mrs. jimipresley: You're scaring the girl!
jimipresley: Lili, you give the Taiwanese culture shock.
bismarck (aka Kal El): I woke up in a strange house next to a naked woman I'd never seen in my life, far from my scooter and I'd lost my house keys. At least I still had my underpants on.
Lili
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 31 times
Has gotten kudos: 37 times

Next

Return to Dating & Relationships