Gasoline Grades in Taiwan: 92, 95, or 98?

Cars, motorcycles, and scooters in Taiwan. Here's where the greasemonkeys and gearheads talk shop. Oh, and if you're looking to buy a used car, check out the vehicle listings at www.taiwanted.com.

Gasoline Grades in Taiwan: 92, 95, or 98?

Postby maoman » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:51

What happens if I put 92 or 98 gas (petrol) in my car or scooter when I've been putting in nothing but 95 for all these years? Will one or the other improve performance or fuel efficiency? The scooter is ten years old, and the car seventeen years old.
Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle.
maoman  Anthony van Dyck
Admin

Has given kudos: 1828 times
Has gotten kudos: 1309 times
Display Name: Anthony van Dyck

Re: Gasoline Grades in Taiwan: 92, 95, or 98?

Postby thelostswede » Wed Feb 08, 2012 01:32

thelostswede
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 7 times
Has gotten kudos: 27 times

Postby koalabear » Wed Feb 08, 2012 13:29

If the car is not knocking, you can get by with lower grade fuel. Most modern cars have engine controllers than enable them to be able to run on extremely, and I mean EXTREMELY bad, low-octane fuel without knocking, but there are tradeoffs to this.

Engine controllers will reduce engine performance if they detect knocking due to low octane fuel. They do this basically by retarding timing, and sometimes enriching the mixture. Retarding timing makes less power for a certain amount of fuel. Enriching the mixture means more fuel goes into the engine. The result is less power, and worse fuel economy.

A procedure to test this is simply to run the tank empty and put in lower grade fuel to about a quarter tank. Drive like you normally would. Monitor your gas mileage. If it's the same, your engine is not being knock-limited and you can run that fuel. If your mileage goes down, then go up a grade. If the engine knocks, then immediately fill the rest of the tank with premium and repeat with the next higher grade from the one you tried when the tank is empty.

The scooter is probably has a carburator or has a really primitive fuel injection system. Fortunately, it is also probably running a low-compression engine, which means it can run some pretty shitty fuel and be fine. So you have to listen for knock or see if it is dieseling, where the engine keeps running for a little bit after you shut it off. My bet is it can run 92 just fine.
koalabear
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 0 time
Has gotten kudos: 0 time

Postby maoman » Sun Feb 12, 2012 20:22

Anonymous wrote:
koalabear wrote:The scooter is probably has a carburator or has a really primitive fuel injection system. Fortunately, it is also probably running a low-compression engine, which means it can run some pretty shitty fuel and be fine. So you have to listen for knock or see if it is dieseling, where the engine keeps running for a little bit after you shut it off. My bet is it can run 92 just fine.

thats the reason I put 92 in my scooter. I spend most of my travel time at the stupid traffic lights here. Probably "saved" enough in comparisson to 95 to buy a new scooter now (6 years).

Thanks for the advice, guys! :orz: I've been running my car and scooter on 92 now with no problems, and filling up at the pumps is now noticeably cheaper!
maoman  Anthony van Dyck
Admin

Postby maoman » Fri Apr 18, 2014 07:27

I've been running my Ford Escape on 92 now, and no discernible problems. Mileage is pretty much the same, and no knocking.

Why pay more for 95? :idunno:
maoman  Anthony van Dyck
Admin

Postby Bubbha » Fri Apr 18, 2014 14:29

I've always wondered about this, but have never heard any good information about what happens with lower octane. I'll try 92 next time.

Oddly enough, the standard octane rating in the US is 87. Do they use a different rating system here?
Bubbha
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 158 times
Has gotten kudos: 270 times

Postby TainanCowboy » Fri Apr 18, 2014 15:38

Oddly enough, the standard octane rating in the US is 87.

Not really. Standard "regular" octane rating in the U.S.A. is 92. Sometimes it is listed as 90 octane.
The facts expressed here belong to everybody. The opinions are mine.
I don’t post political comments or articles to convince those who disagree with me,
I post them so that those who might agree with such positions will know they are not alone.
Some things are opinions and can be argued - some things are facts and cannot.
Proverbs, Chapter 16 verse 9 <--- When in doubt, remember this.
TainanCowboy
Taiwanease Royalty

Has given kudos: 793 times
Has gotten kudos: 489 times

Return to Cars, Scooters, and Driving in Taiwan