Foreigner lost control on motorcycle in Zhongli

Cars, motorcycles, and scooters in Taiwan. Here's where the greasemonkeys and gearheads talk shop. Oh, and if you're looking to buy a used car, check out the vehicle listings at www.taiwanted.com.

Re: Foreigner lost control on motorcycle in Zhongli

Postby sandman » Tue Mar 31, 2015 15:40

I think it means there's a 50kph limit on that stretch of road. He was hooning at least double that or more, I'd guess. Watch your backs, people, because arseholes like that can really screw up your day if you get in their way. I hope he gets charged. Imagine if he'd lost control, sideswiped your car and broken your kid's neck. I hope he gets reamed by the courts.

These users gave kudos to the author sandman for the post (total 6):
Just Jennifer (Wed Apr 01, 2015 17:15) • xtrain (Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:29) • Poagao (Tue Mar 31, 2015 23:06) • divea (Tue Mar 31, 2015 18:37) • funkymonkey (Tue Mar 31, 2015 16:25) • engerim (Tue Mar 31, 2015 15:59)
sandman
Taiwanease Royalty

Has given kudos: 309 times
Has gotten kudos: 826 times

Postby TainanCowboy » Wed Apr 01, 2015 13:54

engerim wrote:what does all this 50 慢 50 慢 50 慢 慢 慢 mean?

In reality - It means very little.

He was lucky...this time.
Guys like this have a name in EMT and Emergency Room circles...."organ donors."
The facts expressed here belong to everybody. The opinions are mine.
I don’t post political comments or articles to convince those who disagree with me,
I post them so that those who might agree with such positions will know they are not alone.
Some things are opinions and can be argued - some things are facts and cannot.
Proverbs, Chapter 16 verse 9 <--- When in doubt, remember this.
TainanCowboy
Taiwanease Royalty

Has given kudos: 793 times
Has gotten kudos: 489 times

Postby sandman » Wed Apr 01, 2015 14:38

Yup. "But HEEEEY! I've been riding fast bikes for more than three YEARS! It was that concrete barrier's fault."
sandman
Taiwanease Royalty

Postby Andrew » Wed Apr 01, 2015 18:33

spring arrives as does the annual foreigner driving incidents. hope that guy is ok. wonder if he is related to the yahoo in Zhongli that was uploaded all his motorcyle antics on youtube 8 years back.
Andrew
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 10 times
Has gotten kudos: 23 times

Postby Blake Carrington » Wed Apr 01, 2015 21:07

Andrew wrote:spring arrives as does the annual foreigner driving incidents. hope that guy is ok. wonder if he is related to the yahoo in Zhongli that was uploaded all his motorcyle antics on youtube 8 years back.

What are the 'annual foreigner driving incidents'?
Blake Carrington
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 4 times
Has gotten kudos: 55 times

Postby divea » Thu Apr 02, 2015 07:38

sandman wrote: Imagine if he'd lost control, sideswiped your car and broken your kid's neck. I hope he gets reamed by the courts.

So we're not sorry for him? Poor man injured himself and all??
Work is the curse of the drinking classes- Wilde

These users gave kudos to the author divea for the post:
Kal El (Sat Apr 04, 2015 13:39)
divea
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 1317 times
Has gotten kudos: 705 times

Postby sandman » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:58

divea wrote:
sandman wrote: Imagine if he'd lost control, sideswiped your car and broken your kid's neck. I hope he gets reamed by the courts.

He was riding like a moron and injured himself. Nope. Not sorry at all. I hope he gets better, of course. And I also hope he gets prosecuted to the max. And that his bike is totaled. And that he can't afford to replace it. I use those roads, too. Usually with my child in the backseat.

These users gave kudos to the author sandman for the post (total 3):
HeadhonchoII (Fri Apr 03, 2015 23:53) • Andrew (Fri Apr 03, 2015 13:51) • TainanCowboy (Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:13)
sandman
Taiwanease Royalty

Postby divea » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:21

sandman wrote:
divea wrote:

He was riding like a moron and injured himself. Nope. Not sorry at all. I hope he gets better, of course. And I also hope he gets prosecuted to the max. And that his bike is totaled. And that he can't afford to replace it. I use those roads, too. Usually with my child in the backseat.

That's how I felt about Mordeth for years. I hope he gets better and gets persecuted for both the driving and the ridiculing his students in class. I have kids in elementary school, I can't imagine the bullying they'd face if their teacher released a video of ridiculing them on youtube. Going to Aus land, he had it easy.
Work is the curse of the drinking classes- Wilde
divea
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 1317 times
Has gotten kudos: 705 times

Postby Toad » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:32

Under the circumstances, I'd say he had the best possible outcome anyone could hope for. An "accident" like that, in 95% of cases, would surely have resulted in (as TC pointed out) an organ donor scenario. So no need to feel sorry for him. He apparently had a whole platoon of guardian angels looking after him.
Toad
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Has given kudos: 956 times
Has gotten kudos: 704 times

Postby Kal El » Sat Apr 04, 2015 13:43

I'm in the market for a new big bike, and what I want is a 400cc or possibly a 600cc (for the number plate and more road usage), but everytime I talk to people about it I get the same response, "No, man!! You need something bigger. At least 750cc. 600cc is too small and slow."

We live in Taiwan with a speed limit of 110 on the highway, mostly at sea level. That thinking makes no sense to me.

Anyway ... :idunno:
Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash.
Sir Winston Churchill

Heathen filth, the lot of you.
Dr Kurt Langstrom

人不可貌相,海水不可斗量
Kal El
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 1191 times
Has gotten kudos: 1132 times

Postby sandman » Sat Apr 04, 2015 15:45

Kal El wrote:I'm in the market for a new big bike, and what I want is a 400cc or possibly a 600cc (for the number plate and more road usage), but everytime I talk to people about it I get the same response, "No, man!! You need something bigger. At least 750cc. 600cc is too small and slow."

We live in Taiwan with a speed limit of 110 on the highway, mostly at sea level. That thinking makes no sense to me.

Anyway ... :idunno:

You probably have a normal-sized penis, so you can't possibly know.

These users gave kudos to the author sandman for the post:
Dr. Nemesis (Sat Apr 04, 2015 17:24)
sandman
Taiwanease Royalty

Postby Dragonbones » Sat Apr 04, 2015 19:26

My thoughts exactly.
“To cook for the pleasure of it, to devote a portion of our leisure to it, is to declare our independence from the corporations seeking to organize our every waking moment into yet another occasion for consumption." --Michael Pollan
Dragonbones
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 524 times
Has gotten kudos: 1041 times

Postby maoman » Sat Apr 04, 2015 20:46

I've had large bikes (750cc) smaller bikes (450cc) and Taiwan motorcycles/scooters (<250cc). Larger bikes are safer. Because motorcycles can't swerve out of a crisis the way cars can, they have to either accelerate out of the situation or brake out of it. Either way, larger bikes get the job done better. And because they're heavier, they tend to be more stable on poor road conditions, eg. wind, rain, bumps, holes, etc.
Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle.
maoman  Anthony van Dyck
Admin

Has given kudos: 1828 times
Has gotten kudos: 1308 times
Display Name: Anthony van Dyck

Postby Big Vern » Sat Apr 04, 2015 21:59

maoman wrote:I've had large bikes (750cc) smaller bikes (450cc) and Taiwan motorcycles/scooters (<250cc). Larger bikes are safer. Because motorcycles can't swerve out of a crisis the way cars can, they have to either accelerate out of the situation or brake out of it. Either way, larger bikes get the job done better. And because they're heavier, they tend to be more stable on poor road conditions, eg. wind, rain, bumps, holes, etc.

I often hear something along these lines and it's always highly persuasive. Is it right? Only accident stats could provide that answer and I can't be bothered to wade through the stats for accident rates linked to engine size http://www.dyingtoride.org/stats.htm.

Obviously I don't need to tell you, myself, or anyone else to drive carefully - we all do that already :orz: .
Big Vern
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 545 times
Has gotten kudos: 864 times

Postby maoman » Fri Apr 24, 2015 15:30

I drive on that road almost every day, but until today never actually stopped to look where he might have landed.

As you can see from the pics, he was SO lucky. He landed in the one part of the stream that was more than a few inches deep. I could still see blood stains on the flat slab of concrete next to the water. Presumably, that's where they pulled him to until the paramedics arrived.
Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle.

These users gave kudos to the author maoman for the post (total 2):
Bubbha (Sat Apr 25, 2015 00:01) • Dragonbones (Fri Apr 24, 2015 15:44)
maoman  Anthony van Dyck
Admin

Has given kudos: 1828 times
Has gotten kudos: 1308 times
Display Name: Anthony van Dyck

Previous

Return to Cars, Scooters, and Driving in Taiwan