Electric Scooter Reviews and possible Govt rebate

Cars, motorcycles, and scooters in Taiwan. Here's where the greasemonkeys and gearheads talk shop. Oh, and if you're looking to buy a used car, check out the vehicle listings at www.taiwanted.com.

Re: Electric Scooter Reviews and possible Govt rebate

Postby Enigma » Fri Nov 02, 2012 15:12

I still have not seen a response from MOEA about the rebate. I have had my wife translate to Chinese and I'll resend it. If you are thinking about buying one of these and want the rebate, Touyuan seems to to best place for initial purchase. I bought mine near my house because I thought they could provide service. Since it gets sent back to the maker in any event, I don't think my decision was very smart. Had I known about this "so called policy of rebate only for purchase in Taoyuan. However, since they need your ID and docs for residency to get your insurance and license", I would have gone and purchased in Touyuan.
My true measure of a man is to what degree he agrees with me. My true measure of a woman is to what degree she disagrees with me.
Enigma
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 29 times
Has gotten kudos: 22 times

Postby Enigma » Sat Nov 10, 2012 02:06

Well. I'm on my 3rd re-charge. Looks to be about about 25 k around town.I don't know the cost of the extras. No idea of cost for extra battery and tranformer. IfI postwhen I find out. Milelage my guess is about 35 k on a full charge, Daragon, NO! i's just like a regular scoot - twist and go but with the; electric you get extra stuff. Come ride mine and see what I mean.i
My true measure of a man is to what degree he agrees with me. My true measure of a woman is to what degree she disagrees with me.
Enigma
Taiwanease Gentry

Postby Enigma » Tue Nov 27, 2012 17:41

Now that I have had it a month (without the rebate which I am now convinced that I won't get) I still really love this little bike.
It is ideal for the short distance commutes, light battery, fast recharge and damned cute. It will easily pass as a 50 cc so folks don't know you are there until they see you - no sound. Perhaps that is the biggest problem. Folks that would that usually get out of the way . . . don't, because they don't know you are there. "Stealth bike"would usually get out of the way at a parking site don't hear you so . . . . difficult. Actually, the silence of the scooter causes other problems because of the silence. "GET THE HELL OUT OF THE WAY". As the silence passes, mouths are wide.( My best suggestion, which I haven't done yet, is to add an air horn under the seat and BLAST my way way through with attention!) Most have not seen these but it's nice to shock some folks.
Still love it with or without the rebate. I still have the 150 for longer trips but baby scoot is just perfect for MRT and shopping commutes.
Enigma
Taiwanease Gentry

Postby cranky laowai » Tue Nov 27, 2012 17:51

I rode one during a recent trip to Xiao Liuqiu and, other than wishing it had a longer range on a charge, liked it. Taipei would certainly be a lot quieter if people would switch.

But the road to the lighthouse, which is on a steep hill, had a warning sign (no English!) near the bottom telling riders not to attempt the long climb with an electric scooter. So even with the power-boost switch it may lack the oomph of a gas machine. I didn't test this myself, though, having chosen to take the sign's advice.
cranky laowai
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Has given kudos: 160 times
Has gotten kudos: 429 times

Postby Enigma » Tue Nov 27, 2012 18:09

My ass is large and scoot soooo small. I have taken it up some really steeep slopes to Chengtien Temple and I wouldn't worry with the emoving bike. The other crap wont make a start.
EDIT:
I don't know why but my previous post was truncated. Anyway, I again commend the little scooter, especially if you buy it in a Taiwan name so you get the rebate, see above.
Enigma
Taiwanease Gentry

Postby HeadhonchoII » Tue Nov 27, 2012 21:08

Very interesting Enigma. How much is a replacement battery do you know?
But you got to ask yourself the question....what would astronaut Chris Hatfield do?
HeadhonchoII
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 128 times
Has gotten kudos: 256 times

Postby Enigma » Thu Nov 29, 2012 13:03

No, but I intend to find out. I will let you know when I get around to stopping by the dealer.
Enigma
Taiwanease Gentry

Postby Skyman » Sat May 18, 2013 00:03

There are a few companies that are working on installing battery exchange kiosks around the island. One of them (City Power 城市動力) says that they will have 300 kiosks installed in Taipei and NTC by the end of 2013, and 3000 kiosks island-wide by 2015. They are partnering with several scooter manufacturers to use a standardized power cell format that can be used interchangeably across several brands/models. I saw a demo of one of these kiosks at the recent EV Taiwan show. The user swipes a card (which tells the kiosk how many cells your bike uses--typically 2-6 cells), and sliding drawers pop out where the user can slide in their spent cells. Then other drawers pop out with fully charged cells ready to use. They said the average cost for the recharge would work out to about 0.8NTD per Km.

If I remember right, they said they plan to install these kiosks near gas stations and convenience stores. Looked like a pretty slick system. It will be interesting to see if it really takes off.
Skyman
1st post! Welcome to Taiwanease!

Has given kudos: 0 time
Has gotten kudos: 0 time

Postby HeadhonchoII » Sat May 18, 2013 09:51

It's an old idea but implementation is key. It's already half way through 2013 and how many kiosks do they have installed? Will they get subsidies from city governments or preferred conditions for electric scooter riders?
It would be great if they can really get together to do this but I would be very surprised if it ever appears at all.
But you got to ask yourself the question....what would astronaut Chris Hatfield do?
HeadhonchoII
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 128 times
Has gotten kudos: 256 times

Postby someguy » Sat Sep 28, 2013 13:40

Do the e-moving require a license of some sort? What documentations do I need to prepare for purchase?
someguy

Postby Enigma » Sun Sep 29, 2013 02:45

I had to get a green license plate. Other electrics, I am told, don't have to. I'm not sure why. Maybe it's because it looks like a 50 or 90 cc. scooter. I know if it had pedals you don't need a license even if it is motor enhanced. Keep in mind that since you have a green plate, you don't need environmental checks or stickers
BTW, for those that have kept up with this, I have now found that e-moving has an auxiliary back box installed for 2,500. I just got mine on. Nice!
My rating goes from 4.5 to a full out 5.
No, it won't do really steep hills for more than about 30 meters but I think it would pull 6 or 7 % for a while, with the boost button. I have a slow trip getting out of my B2 basement parking garage but that climb is about 20%. Hell, I have a hard time walking out.
Go for a test drive. Good machine.
Somebody mentioned that it is just too slow to be safe. The writer mentioned the top speed of over 45 km. That's true but it isn't made for highway cruising. I use mine for short trips like night market and MRT runs. Again, one of my major problems is that pedestrians don't hear you and will wander right in front of you. Now, I always give a courtesy beep when I approach from behind. I am thinking about buying one of those little bells that are on bicycles. Also, the initial power curve is VERY steep. It is easy to crank in a little throttle from a dead stop and find yourself overtaking for about 3 seconds. Concrete parking garage walls quickly get in the way.
Enigma
Taiwanease Gentry

Postby silas » Sun Sep 21, 2014 01:49

Hi, I know it's been awhile since this thread was active, but I've stumbled across your story and as I'm quite interested in EVs (with a history of involvement in EV advocacy in California) and their potential in Taiwan I'm looking now for an update to your experience with the GreenTrans e-moving scooter. A few key questions:

1. Which generation of e-moving scooter is this? Is it the e-moving Bobe, Super, Plus (the EM50, EM80, EM100, EM100B). If you're not quite sure which is which, please check: http://www.greentrans.com.tw/#

2. Have you calculated your savings per km or mile? Although electricity and fuel are heavily subsidized in Taiwan, it is still cheaper to drive with electricity as your "fuel" than it is with gas/petrol. Have you done any calculations? In Europe, it can be 8 times cheaper, and in the US it's typically 3–4 times cheaper.

3. What are your criticisms, and have you discovered anything significantly better available in Taiwan?

Many thanks!
silas

Previous

Return to Cars, Scooters, and Driving in Taiwan