Date Rape Or Something Else

Looking for love in all the wrong places? Tell us about it! We probably won't be able to help, but it might be good for a chuckle.

Moderator: jimipresley

Was it rape?

Yes
29%
No
43%
Something Else
29%

Total votes : 7

Re: Date Rape Or Something Else

Postby Kal El » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:21

channamasala wrote:Kal-El started the topic; it's up to him and the moderators to decide if discussing the ethics of rape are off-topic or not. The way he posed his OP seems quite clearly to be asking for ethics-based opinions, not necessarily (although not excluding) legal ones. IMHO it's not off-topic at all.

Rape as a word does have semantic meaning beyond its utility as a legal term.

Morally, ethically, whatever. It's just a discussion where I wanted to see the opinions of folks here, as opposed to mine (I think it was rape). Neither party is going to the cops or laying charges, but I did change the names and un-gendered it to make it an unbiased conversation.

As to the drinks, according to my info from both parties, Alex had one or two beers/drinks and Jean had substantially more (probably in the region of ten or more over several hours). And as I said in a previous post, under normal circumstances, Jean would never have had sex with Alex otherwise.
Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash.
Sir Winston Churchill

Heathen filth, the lot of you.
Dr Kurt Langstrom

人不可貌相,海水不可斗量
Kal El
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 1140 times
Has gotten kudos: 1092 times

Postby ChinaCat » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:22

channamasala wrote:Equivocating! "He's asking if a specific rape took place" doesn't mean "could this be prosecuted in court as rape". The whole OP is pretty clearly implying a broader ethical discussion.

He asked whether or not we believe that a rape took place. He referred to a specific instance, which he further indicated was not a hypothetical. There is nothing implied when the OP is expressly explicit.

I'm not saying that you cannot discuss your ideas on rape in general. I've been going along with that for several posts, already.

channamasala wrote:And I still say it doesn't matter of Alex was too drunk to know if Jean was giving consent/could give consent - if you are too drunk to realize that you shouldn't steal money, you are still a robber. If you are too drunk to remember that the person you are about to have sex with is underage, you still committed statutory rape. You are responsible for your actions while under the influence (Alex) but not responsible for actions done to you while under the influence.

There's a significant difference, if we're talking ethics rather than law, as you insist.

If you rob someone or steal money, there is an obvious victim. If two drunk people have sex, and the one who subsequently believes he/she was raped doesn't remember how/what happened, then there is no obvious victim.

You are basing your opinion on speculation regarding the facts. How can that be ethical?

channamasala wrote:Ethically speaking I do believe rape took place. In terms of whether it could be legally prosecuted as such, I'm not a lawyer, I wasn't there, I'm not Jean or Alex, I don't know. I'm not sure it matters.

How could these facts not matter, ethically speaking?

channamasala wrote:I'm not prepared to have the same sort of ridiculous argument with yet again where you go off on weird tangents, equivocate and make up analogies, move goalposts and hack things apart in order to twist words around and then make the whole thing unreadable with bright colors and highlights and stuff (which is less likely to get me to read it all, not more, as it's a blight on my eyes).

You bring up marital rape in Saudi Arabia and accuse me of going off on tangents. :lol:

I'm not twisting your words, or the OP's. That's why I quote you, so as to be sure that I am following your statements and replying to the same.

That's ridiculous and tangential in your view? :lol:
You have been permanently banned from this board. Reason given for ban: CONTEMPT - Rude, dismissive, or disrespectful responses to official moderator communications. A ban has been issued on your username. - Forumosa.com

These users gave kudos to the author ChinaCat for the post:
TainanCowboy (Tue Jul 22, 2014 18:43)
ChinaCat
Taiwanease Royalty

Has given kudos: 936 times
Has gotten kudos: 686 times

Postby robertotaiwan » Tue Jul 22, 2014 17:37

who was really RAPED??? JEAN!! ALEX!!
i think they raped each other!!

These users gave kudos to the author robertotaiwan for the post:
maoman (Tue Jul 22, 2014 17:52)
robertotaiwan
1st post! Welcome to Taiwanease!

Has given kudos: 0 time
Has gotten kudos: 1 time

Postby Andrew » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:04

the proof is in the pudding...and if her 'pudding' is clean and no one admits anything then what basis do you have to proceed with?
Andrew
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 10 times
Has gotten kudos: 23 times

Previous

Return to Dating & Relationships