Beware of Water Damaged Vehicles

Cars, motorcycles, and scooters in Taiwan. Here's where the greasemonkeys and gearheads talk shop. Oh, and if you're looking to buy a used car, check out the vehicle listings at www.taiwanted.com.

Beware of Water Damaged Vehicles

Postby TainanCowboy » Mon Aug 10, 2015 09:08

It seems that after every big typhoon and the resultant flooding, there are many cars offered for sale that have water damage.

Most of these are professionally cleaned and, superficially, look OK - they are not.

If you find a "deal" being offered on a nice looking vehicle, please take the time to have a qualified inspection done on the vehicle.

It will save you money in the long run.

There are businesses offering this service through-out the island.

Some even post on this board.

Be safe.
The facts expressed here belong to everybody. The opinions are mine.
I don’t post political comments or articles to convince those who disagree with me,
I post them so that those who might agree with such positions will know they are not alone.
Some things are opinions and can be argued - some things are facts and cannot.
Proverbs, Chapter 16 verse 9 <--- When in doubt, remember this.

These users gave kudos to the author TainanCowboy for the post:
Dragonbones (Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:44)
TainanCowboy
Taiwanease Royalty

Has given kudos: 793 times
Has gotten kudos: 489 times

Re: Beware of Water Damaged Vehicles

Postby SuperS54 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 13:09

TainanCowboy wrote:It seems that after every big typhoon and the resultant flooding, there are many cars offered for sale that have water damage.

Most of these are professionally cleaned and, superficially, look OK - they are not.

If you find a "deal" being offered on a nice looking vehicle, please take the time to have a qualified inspection done on the vehicle.

It will save you money in the long run.

There are businesses offering this service through-out the island.

Some even post on this board.

Be safe.

Checked on my car last night as it's parked in a riverside car park, luckily there was no flooding. every car in the car park had a flyer on the windscreen from a company specializing in buying flood damaged cars so be warned!
SuperS54
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 47 times
Has gotten kudos: 21 times

Re: Beware of Water Damaged Vehicles

Postby Blake Carrington » Tue Aug 11, 2015 21:10

TUV is kind of the standard when it comes to use car examinations and their reports (which can be found online for every car they have inspected) specifically mention flood damage.

Don't buy a used car without this report.
Blake Carrington
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 4 times
Has gotten kudos: 55 times

Return to Cars, Scooters, and Driving in Taiwan