Aftermarket Cruise Control

Cars, motorcycles, and scooters in Taiwan. Here's where the greasemonkeys and gearheads talk shop. Oh, and if you're looking to buy a used car, check out the vehicle listings at www.taiwanted.com.

Aftermarket Cruise Control

Postby maoman » Tue Sep 02, 2014 13:12

I've been thinking of installing cruise control in my car, maybe something like this. I do lots of highway driving, and I think this might help my mileage. Anyone have any experience with this?
Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle.
maoman  Anthony van Dyck
Admin

Has given kudos: 1822 times
Has gotten kudos: 1297 times
Display Name: Anthony van Dyck

Re: Aftermarket Cruise Control

Postby Andrew » Tue Sep 02, 2014 18:08

depends on the type of tranny you have....the gear ratios dictate your mileage.....after market cruise controls can actually hinder your tranny, especially if your car is over 7 years old..cruise control is designed through torque readings out of your tranny.....IMHO, it won't change much on an older model, the engine/tranny has lost most of it's original performance-like a 60 year old running a marathon.....a 4 cylinder engine will make pretty much zero difference, if it is a 6er, then the tranny will be a little bit more responsive but not enough to justify the cost... .... might want to rethink that and just change vehicles with a six cylinder....an average four cylinder rpm on the highway at 110-120 km/hour will be around 2500-2700....conversely with a six it will hover around 2000-2200, but on two more cylinders....do the math. I would say forget it...if you had a big V-8..that's where you would notice a savings.
Andrew
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 10 times
Has gotten kudos: 23 times

Re: Aftermarket Cruise Control

Postby Elegua » Tue Sep 02, 2014 19:48

In Taiwan how often and long do you actually get to use the cruise control? 5min? 10min? Before you need to turn it off?
Vida de Otário

....and distinguished nothing except a single green light, minute and far away, that might have been the end of a dock.
Elegua
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 82 times
Has gotten kudos: 266 times

Return to Cars, Scooters, and Driving in Taiwan