A Consolidated Compendium of APRC Proced. UPDATED Dec 12

ARCs, APRCs, JFRVs and a million other acronyms that you never thought you'd need to know about - until now. Find out what you need to know here.

Moderators: Eiger John, EigerMarcus

Forum rules
Taiwanease is pleased to have the legal forums moderated by individuals from the upstanding legal firm Eiger Law. While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Taiwanease, the moderators and the Eiger Law firm cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Taiwanease provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and Eiger Law or any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Re: A Consolidated Compendium of APRC Proced. UPDATED Dec 12

Postby cranky laowai » Thu Jan 10, 2013 21:54

Icon wrote:Oh, it is close to Global Mall? Thanks for the info.

You can check the center's info page in the Taiwanease directory and then select the "Click for more places near Xinbei Service Center 新北市服務站" link to see other places in the neighborhood. (Global Mall is just a bit to the north.)
cranky laowai
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Has given kudos: 152 times
Has gotten kudos: 416 times

Postby Icon » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:54

cranky laowai wrote:
Icon wrote:Oh, it is close to Global Mall? Thanks for the info.

You can check the center's info page in the Taiwanease directory and then select the "Click for more places near Xinbei Service Center 新北市服務站" link to see other places in the neighborhood. (Global Mall is just a bit to the north.)

I still have to learn how to use that directory... :oops:
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Eat the delicious food. Walk in the sunshine. Jump in the ocean. Say the truth that you’re carrying in your heart like hidden treasure. Be silly. Be kind. Be weird. There’s no time for anything else
Icon
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 529 times
Has gotten kudos: 822 times

Postby cranky laowai » Wed Apr 03, 2013 15:38

* Tax return or A4 receipt of taxes paid in the last calendar year OR a statement of such from your current ARC employer; only one year of tax return is now needed which is a fairly recent change from their previous 5 year requirement. Also keep in mind that your gross income for the last tax year must be double the full time minimum wage requirement which is about 435,000 NT.

The minimum wage has been increased slightly. So if for whatever reason someone is at least nominally receiving a low wage, make sure it's more than currently needed.

About NT$458,000, I believe, would be the annual rate after doubling.
cranky laowai
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Has given kudos: 152 times
Has gotten kudos: 416 times

Postby Mia from SA » Tue May 14, 2013 19:05

Hi guys,

I'm wondering if anyone has any info re dependents qualifying for an APRC?
My hubby has one (APRC) and i've been here for almost 8 years. Besides not being employed, and thus not having the required min income, i meet all the rest of the requirements...
Mia from SA
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 0 time
Has gotten kudos: 0 time

Postby Tom » Wed Jun 26, 2013 01:13

Enigma wrote:2. UK:
You need to get a record of any felony convictions from your home country. Each country is different.
It seems the certificates are issued by the Association of Chief Police Officers Criminal Records Office (ACRO for short), their website is here;
http://www.acro.police.uk/police_certificates.aspx
The forms are downloadable but CANNOT be submitted electronically so snail mail or courier is suggested. All the requirements are listed on the website including the cost (35 UKP for standard service of 10 days). There is however a small hiccup, this is a new process (07-Nov-2011) and has only been approved for use in certain countries, Taiwan is one of the allowed countries but it is written in Cantonese and as such cannot be used for 'official' documentation. So no saving on translation fee's. BTW, ACRO UK is difficult to reach by phone.
ACRO will also require you to apply for a Subject Access request for Taiwan.
The ACRO Criminal Records Office provides Subject Access disclosures on behalf of most police forces in England, Wales, Northern Ireland, Jersey and the Isle of Man. There is a £10 charge for this service and the fee includes standard postage to UK addresses or airmail to overseas addresses. Processing your application can take up to 40 days from the date it is received so please ensure you allow sufficient time for your application to be processed. For further information on Subject Access and details of how to make an application please use the below link:
http://www.acro.police.uk/subject_access.aspx
You can also find information about how to apply on your local police force’s website. If not living in the UK the Police Force you would need to contact would be the one with authority over the area where you last lived within the UK.
And true to their word, all the details are obtainable on the aforementioned url, here is an example for the police jusidiction covering one posters jurisidiction.
http://www.bedfordshire.police.uk/about ... ccess.aspx
Then your intermediary needs to be sent to London TECO for certification.
Go to No 3.
(Any updates for UK would be appreciated.)

Hi, I'm a bit puzzled by this.

Does this mean I need to

1) Apply for the Subject Access request

2) Wait 40 days

3) Apply for the Police Certificate

4) Send it off to the FCO to be legalised

5) Send it off to the TECRO to be authenticated

What's the subject access request actually for? Is it something you need to send in with the Police Certificate application? It seems like the FCO only need the ACRO Police Certificate, e.g. from here

https://www.gov.uk/legalisation-document-checker/y
Tom
2nd post! You're back for more!

Postby cubewarrior » Wed Jun 26, 2013 08:32

Tom wrote:
Enigma wrote:2. UK:
You need to get a record of any felony convictions from your home country. Each country is different.
It seems the certificates are issued by the Association of Chief Police Officers Criminal Records Office (ACRO for short), their website is here;
The forms are downloadable but CANNOT be submitted electronically so snail mail or courier is suggested. All the requirements are listed on the website including the cost (35 UKP for standard service of 10 days). There is however a small hiccup, this is a new process (07-Nov-2011) and has only been approved for use in certain countries, Taiwan is one of the allowed countries but it is written in Cantonese and as such cannot be used for 'official' documentation. So no saving on translation fee's. BTW, ACRO UK is difficult to reach by phone.
ACRO will also require you to apply for a Subject Access request for Taiwan.
The ACRO Criminal Records Office provides Subject Access disclosures on behalf of most police forces in England, Wales, Northern Ireland, Jersey and the Isle of Man. There is a £10 charge for this service and the fee includes standard postage to UK addresses or airmail to overseas addresses. Processing your application can take up to 40 days from the date it is received so please ensure you allow sufficient time for your application to be processed. For further information on Subject Access and details of how to make an application please use the below link:
You can also find information about how to apply on your local police force’s website. If not living in the UK the Police Force you would need to contact would be the one with authority over the area where you last lived within the UK.
And true to their word, all the details are obtainable on the aforementioned url, here is an example for the police jusidiction covering one posters jurisidiction.
http://www.bedfordshire.police.uk/about ... ccess.aspx
Then your intermediary needs to be sent to London TECO for certification.
Go to No 3.
(Any updates for UK would be appreciated.)

Hi, I'm a bit puzzled by this.

Does this mean I need to

1) Apply for the Subject Access request

2) Wait 40 days

3) Apply for the Police Certificate

4) Send it off to the FCO to be legalised

5) Send it off to the TECRO to be authenticated

What's the subject access request actually for? Is it something you need to send in with the Police Certificate application? It seems like the FCO only need the ACRO Police Certificate, e.g. from here

https://www.gov.uk/legalisation-document-checker/y

This was written prior to the Taiwan Government removing the requirement for UK criminal record check, the new requirements based on applicant having been resident in Taiwan for 5+ years are detailed in other areas of this 'string'....
Nil illegitimi carborundum
He's more to be pitied than scolded I can tell you - The Big Yin
cubewarrior
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 5 times
Has gotten kudos: 25 times

Postby Tom » Thu Jun 27, 2013 02:11

cubewarrior wrote:This was written prior to the Taiwan Government removing the requirement for UK criminal record check, the new requirements based on applicant having been resident in Taiwan for 5+ years are detailed in other areas of this 'string'....

Unfortunately I still do -

https://taiwanease.com/article/21/Ge ... ertificate

3. You might need to get a CCRD. (Clear Criminal Record Document) from your home country. You won’t need a criminal record check from your home country if you meet the waiver requirements. During your 5 years of residency, you can’t have been out of Taiwan for over 3 months on any single trip. So, as long as you still have met the residency requirements of 183 days per year for each of the 5 years and were never out of Taiwan for over 3 months on any single trip, you won’t need to provide the criminal record check from your home country.

I spent 4 months in the UK (November-March) and my CPA told me I need the CCRD because of the bit in bold.

Edit: NB I have been in Taiwan for more than 183 days in each year, so this is not an issue

Incidentally I submitted the form here

I clicked through for Warwickshire, filled the form in and sent it off. I got a call the next day from Warwickshire Police to say it's the wrong form. I need an SAR 1 form, i.e. one of these

http://www.warwickshire.police.uk/pubsc ... ROSAR1.pdf

To get an SAR. However they strongly advised me to apply for a Police Certificate, i.e. one of these

Police Certificates are quicker to get and only include convictions. On the other hand they are rather expensive. The form says

Standard Service - £45.00 (10 working days, Not including dates of receipt or dispatch)

Premium Service - £80.00 (2 working days, Not including dates of receipt or dispatch)

You need to get a passport photo signed by an Accountant, Solicitor etc - the full list is on the form. They need to have know you for 2+ years and not be a family member.

An SAR is cheap - only £10 but takes 40 days to process (not a problem for me). It would include arrests and cautions as well as convictions. Now that difference is rather academic to me since I don't have any convictions, arrests or cautions in the UK.

However there is a question as to what the Taiwanese NIA will accept. It is rumoured (e.g. http://www.forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi ... s#p1121742) that an SAR is acceptable and a Police Certificate is not.

I called the NIA hotline which is 24 hour and is (from https://www.immigration.gov.tw/ct.asp?x ... 32289&mp=2) 0800-024-111 ( or +886800024011 from outside Taiwan - I'm in the UK at the moment ). They could not advise me whether a Police Certificate or SAR is acceptable.

I've got a number in Taiwan for the NIA which I'll call tonight in Taiwan office hours (8am to 5pm) to find out what they will accept.

However it would be very interesting if anyone here can confirm or deny that an SAR or a Police Certificate has been accepted for their APRC.

Edit :

I called up the NIA and they confirmed I am eligible. They do not have any preferred document which means that from their perspective either an SAR or an ACPO Police Certificate should be acceptable. I'm inclined to get both for safety to be honest - the ACPO police certificate should be here pretty quickly and the SAR is cheap and will serve as a backup.
Tom
2nd post! You're back for more!

Previous

Return to Visa & Residency Issues in Taiwan