A Consolidated Compendium of APRC Proced. UPDATED Dec 12

ARCs, APRCs, JFRVs and a million other acronyms that you never thought you'd need to know about - until now. Find out what you need to know here.

Moderators: Eiger John, EigerMarcus

Forum rules
Taiwanease is pleased to have the legal forums moderated by individuals from the upstanding legal firm Eiger Law. While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Taiwanease, the moderators and the Eiger Law firm cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Taiwanease provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and Eiger Law or any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Re: A Consolidated Compendium of APRC Proced. UPDATED NOV. 1

Postby cranky laowai » Sun Nov 18, 2012 20:40

:ponder: Don't be such a tease, Enigma.
cranky laowai
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Has given kudos: 152 times
Has gotten kudos: 416 times

Re: A Consolidated Compendium of APRC Proced. UPDATED NOV. 2

Postby Dr Milker » Fri Nov 23, 2012 18:21

Just filed my APRC application under the new rules, and the whole process was refreshingly fast and easy.

I dropped by the Taipei NIA office on Monday the 19th to clarify exactly what I needed, as it wasn't very clear on the checklist. I asked the police guy at the info desk about the health check and home country police record, and he confirmed that they were no longer required. So it looks like this is common knowledge at the NIA at this point. He also confirmed that not EVERY page of my old and new passports needed to be copied--just the data page at the front and any pages with immigration stamps on them. Mr. Ma's green policies bearing fruit, perhaps? The checklist also says "applicant must submit an individual income tax statement AND a salary statement," which didn't make sense to me becuase the salary you made during the past year is of course on your tax statement. Mr. police guy wasn't sure about this either, so he went to ask the higher ups. Turns out that just the tax statement is enough, and becuase I filed jointly with my wife, I can use a joint tax statement. Is just the tax statement enough because I'm switching from JFRV to APRC? Not sure.... The checklist also states that dependents need to submit "household registration (valid for 3 months only) or ARC." So does that mean I don't need a copy of the household registration? No, the "or ARC" applies to dependents of spouses who are applying. So then I rode over to the Foreign Affairs Police to apply for my local police check (NT$100) and then to the household affairs office and tax office (in the same building) for my household registration (NT$15) and tax statement (free).

Total time spent: a little over an hour
Total cost: NT$115

Next, on the morning of Thursday the 22nd, I picked up my police report (it was ready the day before) and then headed over to the NIA to submit my application. First, I went downstairs to have my photo taken (NT$120) and then went back upstairs and took a number. Ten minutes later I was sitting in front of a clerk and handing her my paperwork. I was expecting a long interview process, but all she did was basically make sure I filled out the application form correctly and had all the required documents. There was one weird thing: She asked me if I'd made any trips over three months during the past five years, and I said no. Then she handed me a blank sheet of paper and asked me to write a statement to that effect and sign and date it. She also said that if they later determined I had made any three-month trips, the health and police checks would still be needed. I assumed that information would be at her fingertips, but apparently not. Or was it just that she's a regular clerk and not fully clued in on the new procedures? Anyway, the whole "interview" process took less than 15 minutes, and I was on my way with receipt in hand.

Total time spent: about an hour
Total cost: NT$120 (plus NT$10,000 when my APRC is ready)

Now the final wait begins....
Dr Milker
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 3 times
Has gotten kudos: 5 times

Postby Just Jennifer » Fri Nov 23, 2012 19:59

Thanks for sharing your experience. When will you be able to pick up your APRC?

I was hoping to make it to the Taipei Office today but postponed until next week.
Make magical, musical memories with your child at Kindermusik with Jennifer Joy
[url]http://www.facebook.com/kmjoytaiwan[/url] ~ [url]http://www.kmjoy.com[/url]
Classrooms in Taipei City and Tianmu
Just Jennifer
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Has given kudos: 1722 times
Has gotten kudos: 307 times

Postby Dr Milker » Fri Nov 23, 2012 20:57

Thanks for sharing your experience. When will you be able to pick up your APRC?

I was hoping to make it to the Taipei Office today but postponed until next week.

My pleasure. I'd like to know the answer to that question too. The nice clerk lady told me
I can expect a letter from them within a month if my application is approved, and that I
should call them if I've been waiting too long. Then I'm supposed to come to the NIA with
the letter and NT$10,000, and then back again a few days later to pick up the APRC.

So, a month or so? I'm hoping.....
Dr Milker
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 3 times
Has gotten kudos: 5 times

Postby cranky laowai » Mon Dec 10, 2012 15:27

Is there more than one kind of APRC?

Basically, what I want to check is if I go from a JFRV to APRC, is the APRC I gain still dependent upon me being married?

I'm not thinking about divorce. It's just that I'd like to have something that's mine on my own.

I tried asking the APRC woman in Zhonghe this on Friday; but she apparently thought I meant something else. I didn't press the point because she was obviously feeling seriously overworked.
cranky laowai
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Postby Northcoast Surfer » Mon Dec 10, 2012 19:48

cranky laowai wrote:Is there more than one kind of APRC?

Basically, what I want to check is if I go from a JFRV to APRC, is the APRC I gain still dependent upon me being married?

I'm not thinking about divorce. It's just that I'd like to have something that's mine on my own.

I tried asking the APRC woman in Zhonghe this on Friday; but she apparently thought I meant something else. I didn't press the point because she was obviously feeling seriously overworked.

There is only one kind of APRC. It's called APRC (Alien Permanent Resident Certificate). It is not dependent on employment sponsorship or marital sponsorship. It's 100% all about you and only you. No one holds your leash any longer. You can quit any job you have at any time, you can accept any employment at anytime, you can get divorced or remain married and your APRC status will not change.

Your APRC is yours all to yourself. How's that sound? :bow:
I understand your concerns.........request DENIED!

I'm a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless steaming pile of cow dung, figuratively speaking.
Northcoast Surfer
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 45 times
Has gotten kudos: 62 times

Postby Meowmeow » Mon Dec 10, 2012 20:14

I finally got my approval letter for my APRC last Wednesday. :yay: I went in and paid and may pick it up on the nineteenth.

They told me that in Taipei City, like Zhonghe, they are swamped with applications right now, and even the making of the card has increased to a 15 day window. Applications can be handled with a regular agent though, no need to see the APRC officer, unless there is something unusual about your application.

So ends my just over four years of application attempts. Third time turned out to be the charm! :yay: :yay: :yay:

These users gave kudos to the author Meowmeow for the post:
Icon (Tue Dec 11, 2012 09:49)
Meowmeow
38 posts? I'm a bimbo, baby!

Has given kudos: 0 time
Has gotten kudos: 8 times

Postby Northcoast Surfer » Mon Dec 10, 2012 21:50

Meowmeow wrote:I finally got my approval letter for my APRC last Wednesday. :yay: I went in and paid and may pick it up on the nineteenth.

They told me that in Taipei City, like Zhonghe, they are swamped with applications right now, and even the making of the card has increased to a 15 day window. Applications can be handled with a regular agent though, no need to see the APRC officer, unless there is something unusual about your application.

So ends my just over four years of application attempts. Third time turned out to be the charm! :yay: :yay: :yay:

Congratulations! That was only 15 working days from the time you submitted your application until you received your approval letter!

Don't forget to apply for your Open-Work Permit after you get your APRC.

I'm a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless steaming pile of cow dung, figuratively speaking.
Northcoast Surfer
Taiwanease Gentry

Postby Meowmeow » Tue Dec 11, 2012 06:40

Yes only fifteen days, but they 'rushed' it for me as I had to leave the country for a few weeks and my regular work permit was running out. It was very hit or miss if it was going to come through in time, and actually my work permit for my regular ARC and my approval letter ended up coming on the same day. Generally the wait is now around a month for approval. When I casually mentioned that I had thought it was officially 14 working days, the APRC officer, Mr Zheng, said that the 14 day window was for him to respond to your application, rather than for his superiors to approve an application. Perhaps that will come down after this initial rush of applications is down?
Meowmeow
38 posts? I'm a bimbo, baby!

Has given kudos: 0 time
Has gotten kudos: 8 times

Re: A Consolidated Compendium of APRC Proced. UPDATED Dec 12

Postby cranky laowai » Thu Jan 10, 2013 17:15

Woo-hoo! I'm in the club! I picked up my shiny new APRC today, four or five weeks after submitting my application.

My ID number didn't change from my ARC, which is something I had wondered about.

The woman in the Zhonghe office told me that I, being married to a Taiwanese citizen, don't need an open work permit. But if Northcoast Surfer still says to get one that's good enough for me. So that's on my to-do list.

Xiexie dajia, esp. Northcoast Surfer. :bow:

These users gave kudos to the author cranky laowai for the post (total 3):
Just Jennifer (Thu Jan 10, 2013 20:24) • divea (Thu Jan 10, 2013 17:53) • maoman (Thu Jan 10, 2013 17:23)
cranky laowai
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Postby Northcoast Surfer » Thu Jan 10, 2013 17:28

cranky laowai wrote:Woo-hoo! I'm in the club! I picked up my shiny new APRC today, four or five weeks after submitting my application.

My ID number didn't change from my ARC, which is something I had wondered about.

The woman in the Zhonghe office told me that I, being married to a Taiwanese citizen, don't need an open work permit. But if Northcoast Surfer still says to get one that's good enough for me. So that's on my to-do list.

Xiexie dajia, esp. Northcoast Surfer. :bow:

Congratulations on your APRC. Hey, do us a favor, will ya? When you go to the BEVT to apply for your Open-Work Permit, please ask them if it's still required for APRC holders to have it. I just had a client go to the BEVT last week and he applied for his Open-Work Permit with his brand spanking new APRC, and they didn't indicate that it was no longer required. They even had him wait for 30 minutes and did the Open-Work Permit for him while he waited! Same day service. See if you can get same day service, too! BTW.....take a look at your APRC......does it say anywhere on it that you aren't required to have a work-permit? I ask because some of the new JFRV ARCs have some verbage on it which state that because the ARC is sponsored by a Taiwanese spouse, that the holder doesn't need a work-permit. Here's what the recent JFRV ARCs look like. See the red verbage below the "purpose". Does your new APRC have this type of work-permit language on it anywhere? It sure would be nice to have Open-Work Rights printed right on the APRC versus having to get another frickin' document from the BEVT!

These users gave kudos to the author Northcoast Surfer for the post:
maoman (Thu Jan 10, 2013 17:32)
Northcoast Surfer
Taiwanease Gentry

Postby Icon » Thu Jan 10, 2013 17:49

Oh, so we SINGLE APRC holders still have to get the Open Work Permit paper or not? That is a good question. It would be wonderful if the new APRCs already had the NO work permit required printed.

BTW, I have to get a new one again... before Chinese New Year... not a happy camper... any coffee shops or shopping malls or anything of interest around the new Zhonghe place, Cranky?
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Eat the delicious food. Walk in the sunshine. Jump in the ocean. Say the truth that you’re carrying in your heart like hidden treasure. Be silly. Be kind. Be weird. There’s no time for anything else
Icon
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 529 times
Has gotten kudos: 822 times

Postby cranky laowai » Thu Jan 10, 2013 17:58

Northcoast Surfer wrote:Congratulations on your APRC. Hey, do us a favor, will ya? When you go to the BEVT to apply for your Open-Work Permit, please ask them if it's still required for APRC holders to have it.

Will do.

BTW.....take a look at your APRC......does it say anywhere on it that you aren't required to have a work-permit? I ask because some of the new JFRV ARCs have some verbage on it which state that because the ARC is sponsored by a Taiwanese spouse, that the holder doesn't need a work-permit. Here's what the recent JFRV ARCs look like. See the red verbage below the "purpose". Does your new APRC have this type of work-permit language on it anywhere?

Nope. Apparently APRC holders have no purpose. :neutral:

All of the other field categories are as given, except mine lacks "Purpose of residence" and has "Date of approval" rather than "Date of expiry".

There's nothing on the front or back that indicates work rights -- or that I'm married to a Taiwanese citizen, for that matter.

Also, FWIW, the photo of me on the right side of the card is not at the right ratio, which makes me look a little squashed. :confused:

These users gave kudos to the author cranky laowai for the post:
Northcoast Surfer (Thu Jan 10, 2013 18:37)
cranky laowai
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Postby cranky laowai » Thu Jan 10, 2013 18:09

Icon wrote:any coffee shops or shopping malls or anything of interest around the new Zhonghe place, Cranky?

The immediate area is desolation row, I'm afraid. Typical concrete ugliness. But the shiny and clean Global Mall is within walking distance, if that's to your liking. The mall also has shuttle buses, one or more of which will probably take you back to the MRT.

And just to the east of the Global Mall is the place for driver licenses. So if you need to renew yours you could do so, though the mail works just as well.
cranky laowai
Taiwanease Aristocracy

Postby Icon » Thu Jan 10, 2013 21:47

cranky laowai wrote:
Icon wrote:any coffee shops or shopping malls or anything of interest around the new Zhonghe place, Cranky?

The immediate area is desolation row, I'm afraid. Typical concrete ugliness. But the shiny and clean Global Mall is within walking distance, if that's to your liking. The mall also has shuttle buses, one or more of which will probably take you back to the MRT.

And just to the east of the Global Mall is the place for driver licenses. So if you need to renew yours you could do so, though the mail works just as well.

Muchas gracias. Most appreciative. Oh, it is close to Global Mall? Thanks for the info.
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Eat the delicious food. Walk in the sunshine. Jump in the ocean. Say the truth that you’re carrying in your heart like hidden treasure. Be silly. Be kind. Be weird. There’s no time for anything else
Icon
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 529 times
Has gotten kudos: 822 times

PreviousNext

Return to Visa & Residency Issues in Taiwan