A Consolidated Compendium of APRC Proced. UPDATED Dec 12

ARCs, APRCs, JFRVs and a million other acronyms that you never thought you'd need to know about - until now. Find out what you need to know here.

Moderators: Eiger John, EigerMarcus

Forum rules
Taiwanease is pleased to have the legal forums moderated by individuals from the upstanding legal firm Eiger Law. While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Taiwanease, the moderators and the Eiger Law firm cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Taiwanease provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and Eiger Law or any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Re: A Consolidated Compendium of APRC Procedures UPDATED Oct

Postby channamasala » Mon Oct 29, 2012 08:58

OK, I'll go ask in person today or tomorrow (should be today - but I think I may be coming down with the flu so we'll see) and post back.
"So it's true. You work with your FEEEEEEE-males. Arm them. YOU FORCE THEM TO WEAR CLOTHING! Sickening."
channamasala
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 138 times
Has gotten kudos: 193 times

Postby Meowmeow » Mon Oct 29, 2012 17:54

Hi I was just checking through the requirements list on the first page. Just wondering if they have removed the need for your past five years work permits, since it isn't listed?
If they haven't I remember it's possible to get a letter from the CLA listing them all for a small charge (maybe NT$100 IIRC). So is this a change? If not let me know and I'll post back with the procedure for getting the letter of the CLA so it can be added to the first post.

Cheers
Meowmeow
38 posts? I'm a bimbo, baby!

Has given kudos: 0 time
Has gotten kudos: 8 times

Postby channamasala » Wed Oct 31, 2012 13:23

Meowmeow - they asked for mine (I applied in late August and received my APRC last week).

Enigma & all - I went on down to the CLA and they echoed the same info I got in a private message (thanks for that, friendly messenger - as you've got message receipt turned off so I can't reply): my current work permit is good until it expires, but at any time if you have an APRC you can apply for the open work permit and cancel the old one. The benefits of that are that you can accept income that would not be legal under your workplace-issued work permit, and that it's yours: your company doesn't have that piece of paper to hold over you. However, if you don't want to do that immediately, you've got until the old one expires or is cancelled by your company to get the open one.

I went ahead and applied for the open work permit because I was already there, it's cheap and easy, and I could. One less thing to have in my company's hands (I stay because they afford access to fantastic clients, but they themselves are lying, stingy, incompetent buffoons).
"So it's true. You work with your FEEEEEEE-males. Arm them. YOU FORCE THEM TO WEAR CLOTHING! Sickening."
channamasala
Taiwanease Gentry

Postby Enigma » Wed Oct 31, 2012 19:44

Thanks for that. Good to know. So, as I understand it, you don't HaVE to get the open work permit and can continue with your ARC work permit. However, I still think you did the right thing in getting the OWP as we all seem to be doing some non-ARC teaching and, although you might be able to just walk away from the inquiry, there may still be an inquiry that takes time and etc. if I misread your response, please clarify.
I hope I interpreted this correctly.
My true measure of a man is to what degree he agrees with me. My true measure of a woman is to what degree she disagrees with me.
Enigma
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 29 times
Has gotten kudos: 22 times

Re: A Consolidated Compendium of APRC Proced. UPDATED Oct. 3

Postby channamasala » Wed Oct 31, 2012 20:27

That's correct. But once the ARC work permit you had expires, you need an OWP so it makes sense to get that early anyway.
channamasala
Taiwanease Gentry

Re: A Consolidated Compendium of APRC Procedures UPDATED 3/1

Postby Enigma » Wed Oct 31, 2012 20:39

ninedoors wrote:This inquiry is regarding valid application period once you have become eligible.
The NIA rules state that "after exiting R.O.C. an A.R.C. holder may apply for an A.P.R.C within two years. "
I am unclear on what this means.

Specifics of my situation:

- I am now valid to apply with over 5 continuous years
- I currently have a valid ARC from a work permit
- I have not begun the application process
- A disagreement with my employer may result in having my work permit cancelled prior to finishing the application for APRC
- A disagreement with my employer may make it difficult to acquire company issued work certificates/contracts (listed as a requirement in NIA documentation)

Questions:

1. Am I still eligible to apply if my work permit, ARC is cancelled?

2. Is a company issued certificate/contract required for APRC application?

Thank you so much everybody for any advice or experience.

This 2 year limitation used to be an issue and was taken literally when the change from 7 years of ARC to 5 years new law first took effect. That is, that if you have been here for 5 years, you must apply for your APRC within the next following 2 years or you don't qualify. RELAX! I now understand that the employees now understand that it must be only "at least" more than 5 legitimate years, A friend mentioned this to me the other day. I believe, and have been told by Immigration, that this application of 2 years "after qualification", does not apply. As I understand, you only need at least 5 continuous "unbroken years of residency" with ARC", to apply. If anyone runs into a problem on this issue of 2 year limitation, please let us know. From personal experience, I had been here for about 10 years when I applied and had no issues.
EDIT: BTW, I did not have to supply 5 years proof of ARC or Work Permits. That should be on their computerized system. WOW! You should seen this mess 12 years ago when Taiwan didn't even have tax records integrated on a computer network. Things have gotten a lot better for everybody. I know some people criticize Taiwan, but you have NO idea how things have improved. If this new law of allowing citizenship based upon marriage comes into effect, it will be a very POSITIVE move for Taiwan and true friends of Taiwan!. I am hoping that the Legislative Yuan gets on the ball and gets this bill passed. Keep in mind that the U.S. and many other countries allow dual citizenship without the applicant giving up citizenship in their home country. If anyone has the time and inclination, a note to Legislative Yuan would be appreciated. I kinda wonder what would happen if U.S., UK. and Australia changed the law to require Taiwanese give up citizenship to acquire a passport in the new country. The law would change quickly. My guess is that the concerns for Taiwan are centered around Chinese PRC, become passport holders and thus registered to vote. This can be readily resolved by selective countries being listed as eligible for this privilege.
My true measure of a man is to what degree he agrees with me. My true measure of a woman is to what degree she disagrees with me.
Enigma
Taiwanease Gentry

Postby Enigma » Tue Nov 06, 2012 18:44

[b]I have yet to receive a bill from NHI. Possibly they ask for payment at the end of the calendar year of your change. I just am not sure; but my new card continues to work.
I remain confused about how I pay for my insurance. Wife unit says she pays quarterly. I changed but have yet to receive a bill. I guess I'll wait a few weeks and see what happens. However, if this situation, twixt a tween, and need to see a doc, I would suggest some bills in the pocket, just in case.
I am updating this: I asked my wife for her bill from the government. Her bill for 3 monhs, 3 months and influenced labor insurance and labor unemployment. She also believes that the quarterly amount of about 7,500 NT per quarter may also include her retirement. Sorry, I have no clease answer and Lihua really doesn't know. Taiwan atitude is, if you get a bill from the covermant, just pay!
If I needed to guess,the bill is for health insurance and retirement. What is troublesome, is that she really does not know what she is paying for. I know better than to ask!
Crap!
Enigma
Taiwanease Gentry

Re: A Consolidated Compendium of APRC Procedures UPDATED 3/1

Postby Rotalsnart » Wed Nov 07, 2012 15:36

Enigma wrote:This 2 year limitation used to be an issue and was taken literally when the change from 7 years of ARC to 5 years new law first took effect. That is, that if you have been here for 5 years, you must apply for your APRC within the next following 2 years or you don't qualify. RELAX! I now understand that the employees now understand that it must be only "at least" more than 5 legitimate years, A friend mentioned this to me the other day. I believe, and have been told by Immigration, that this application of 2 years "after qualification", does not apply. As I understand, you only need at least 5 continuous "unbroken years of residency" with ARC", to apply. If anyone runs into a problem on this issue of 2 year limitation, please let us know. From personal experience, I had been here for about 10 years when I applied and had no issues.

The 2 years is not a "limit", it is a window (or you could call it a grace period). In other words, once you've qualified by meeting or exceeding the 5-year legal residence period, then even if you lose your visa or break your residence, you can still apply as long as your application date falls within 2 years from the time at which you last met the legal residence requirement.

But applicants are still well advised to apply as soon as they become eligible, and to retain their legal residence until they have their APRC in hand, so that in case their application is denied on some technicality, they can continue to accrue the residence period until they are deemed eligible.
Rotalsnart
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 13 times
Has gotten kudos: 17 times

Postby Enigma » Sat Nov 10, 2012 14:24

Thanks for that. Makes sense. I know at one time people were being told that they HAD to get the APRC within 2 years of becoming eligible. Just another example of non-lawyers writing the rules.
Enigma
Taiwanease Gentry

Postby Rotalsnart » Sat Nov 10, 2012 17:08

Enigma wrote:Thanks for that. Makes sense. I know at one time people were being told that they HAD to get the APRC within 2 years of becoming eligible. Just another example of non-lawyers writing the rules.

Yes, and this provision of the law is indeed ambiguously worded.
Rotalsnart
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 13 times
Has gotten kudos: 17 times

Postby Dr Milker » Tue Nov 13, 2012 18:10

For those of you who've jumped ship from Forumosa, good news on the APRC front:

As of October 25th, if every trip abroad during the five years of continuous residence needed to qualify
is under three months, the health check and home country police check are no longer required.

Permanent residents, go forth and multiply!

These users gave kudos to the author Dr Milker for the post (total 4):
Just Jennifer (Sat Nov 17, 2012 18:48) • Enigma (Wed Nov 14, 2012 18:01) • Icon (Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:03) • Northcoast Surfer (Tue Nov 13, 2012 21:15)
Dr Milker
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 3 times
Has gotten kudos: 5 times

Postby Meowmeow » Wed Nov 14, 2012 07:49

Yes I can confirm this. I applied yesterday morning without the Criminal Record or the Health check.

You still need all the other bits and pieces of paper though.

In Taipei City at least they still want your records of work permits for the last five years. However the good news is that this can be obtained from the CLA in one simple document, if you don't have all your old work permits.

Need a record of your work permits for the last five years?

Go to the front desk of your local Council of Labor Affairs.
Request a Certificate of your last five years work permits.
They will give you a form to fill out and they will check your records for the relevant permit numbers. They then give you these, you fill them in on the form, tick the For APRC application box.
In Taipei they will ask you to take the form upstairs to the secretariat. (They take a lunch break so you can't do this between twelve thirty and one thirty).
They allow themselves 10 working days to respond. But actually mine came much quicker than that. You can either collect it by hand, or have it sent by registered post.

And could you possibly wait a week or so before you go forth and multiply APRC applications? Only I really need mine to get processed in the next couple of weeks.......and I was just waiting on my (delayed) criminal record check to apply...
Meowmeow

Postby channamasala » Wed Nov 14, 2012 08:06

That's great news. A little late for me - I had to go through the whole FBI check and while it's easy to send in, it took them **eight weeks** to finish the process and another week to get it to my proxy in the USA who could take it to TECRO.

Especially as...how many people applying for an APRC would have left for more than three months? I suppose if you are on someone else's ARC or on a marriage visa you could, but I don't know any employer who'd hold your permit and ARC while you left for 3 months. They'd all cancel it.

When I went on a 2 1/2 month trip (which included taking a class abroad which we paid for) my company held mine because I'm apparently valuable. My husband's was cancelled, which is fair, but they initially told him they'd hold it, and didn't confirm that "actually we won't - sorry (not)" until a week before we left, ruining his chances of getting an APRC this year...now he's on the clock for four more years. THAT was not fair, so he quit while we were away.
channamasala
Taiwanease Gentry

Postby Meowmeow » Wed Nov 14, 2012 08:26

On the bright side I read somewhere recently that they are planning to make dependents and spouses also eligible for APRCs based on the one family member holding one. So he might not have to wait four years. :)
Meowmeow

Postby Enigma » Sun Nov 18, 2012 15:08

Meowmeow wrote:Yes I can confirm this. I applied yesterday morning without the Criminal Record or the Health check.

You still need all the other bits and pieces of paper though.

In Taipei City at least they still want your records of work permits for the last five years. However the good news is that this can be obtained from the CLA in one simple document, if you don't have all your old work permits.

Need a record of your work permits for the last five years?

Go to the front desk of your local Council of Labor Affairs.
Request a Certificate of your last five years work permits.
They will give you a form to fill out and they will check your records for the relevant permit numbers. They then give you these, you fill them in on the form, tick the For APRC application box.
In Taipei they will ask you to take the form upstairs to the secretariat. (They take a lunch break so you can't do this between twelve thirty and one thirty).
They allow themselves 10 working days to respond. But actually mine came much quicker than that. You can either collect it by hand, or have it sent by registered post.

I think they have this less complicated now and you only need the current work permit. I asked about this at Banqiao Immigration when I got mine and was told by the NICE LADY (and I mean that in the most endearing way) that it would not be possible to have my ARC without current and concurrent work permits so only the current one (or copy thereof) is needed. Again, this is Taiwan so go ask at your local office.

And could you possibly wait a week or so before you go forth and multiply APRC applications? Only I really need mine to get processed in the next couple of weeks.......and I was just waiting on my (delayed) criminal record check to apply...
Enigma
Taiwanease Gentry

PreviousNext

Return to Visa & Residency Issues in Taiwan