A Consolidated Compendium of APRC Proced. UPDATED Dec 12

ARCs, APRCs, JFRVs and a million other acronyms that you never thought you'd need to know about - until now. Find out what you need to know here.

Moderators: Eiger John, EigerMarcus

Forum rules
Taiwanease is pleased to have the legal forums moderated by individuals from the upstanding legal firm Eiger Law. While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Taiwanease, the moderators and the Eiger Law firm cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Taiwanease provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and Eiger Law or any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Re: A Consolidated Compendium of APRC Procedures UPDATED 3/1

Postby ninedoors » Sun Jun 17, 2012 15:06

This inquiry is regarding valid application period once you have become eligible.
The NIA rules state that "after exiting R.O.C. an A.R.C. holder may apply for an A.P.R.C within two years. "
I am unclear on what this means.

Specifics of my situation:

- I am now valid to apply with over 5 continuous years
- I currently have a valid ARC from a work permit
- I have not begun the application process
- A disagreement with my employer may result in having my work permit cancelled prior to finishing the application for APRC
- A disagreement with my employer may make it difficult to acquire company issued work certificates/contracts (listed as a requirement in NIA documentation)

Questions:

1. Am I still eligible to apply if my work permit, ARC is cancelled?
2. Is a company issued certificate/contract required for APRC application?

Thank you so much everybody for any advice or experience.
ninedoors
1st post! Welcome to Taiwanease!

Has given kudos: 0 time
Has gotten kudos: 0 time

Postby channamasala » Wed Aug 01, 2012 18:05

I wrote this blog post on my own so-far-so-good experiences collecting the APRC paperwork (as an American) - http://laorencha.blogspot.tw/2012/08/the-red-tape-diaries.html

Id've just written it here but it's long, and very subjective/personal experience based, so while it includes facts, it's not all absolute. That said, I think it's a useful addition from somebody who's going through this process now (i.e., me).
"So it's true. You work with your FEEEEEEE-males. Arm them. YOU FORCE THEM TO WEAR CLOTHING! Sickening."

These users gave kudos to the author channamasala for the post:
Mrthumb (Sun Aug 05, 2012 21:13)
channamasala
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 138 times
Has gotten kudos: 193 times

Postby MarkTaichung » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:38

Does anyone have any information about applying for an open work permit? I just got my APRC today, and I'm having some difficulty finding any information. Seems to be a lot of conflicting information online. I have an APRC, and will be getting married to a Taiwanese National next month. I know if you have a spousal visa, you do not need a work permit if your spouse is Taiwanese. What if you have an APRC, and your spouse is Taiwanese? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Also, I am in Taichung.
MarkTaichung

Postby cubewarrior » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:45

MarkTaichung wrote:Does anyone have any information about applying for an open work permit? I just got my APRC today, and I'm having some difficulty finding any information. Seems to be a lot of conflicting information online. I have an APRC, and will be getting married to a Taiwanese National next month. I know if you have a spousal visa, you do not need a work permit if your spouse is Taiwanese. What if you have an APRC, and your spouse is Taiwanese? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Also, I am in Taichung.

If you have your APRC then you automatically qualified for an open work permit...
Nil illegitimi carborundum
He's more to be pitied than scolded I can tell you - The Big Yin
cubewarrior
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 5 times
Has gotten kudos: 25 times

Postby EigerMarcus » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:52

Once you have your APRC then you apply to the CLA for the open work permit - just filing out some forms. Takes about ten days or so I believe to get it.
EigerMarcus
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 1 time
Has gotten kudos: 4 times

Postby Enigma » Wed Aug 29, 2012 19:32

Can someone take this over to keep it up to date? I just dont have time anymore.
Alan
My true measure of a man is to what degree he agrees with me. My true measure of a woman is to what degree she disagrees with me.
Enigma
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 29 times
Has gotten kudos: 22 times

Postby spunkymonkey » Wed Aug 29, 2012 20:03

You can apply for the Taiwanese police check online

http://www.e-services.taipei.gov.tw/hyp ... uid=157005

They send you a text to say it's done and then you can go to the police station (No.96, Yanping S. Rd., Zhongzheng District, Taipei City) to pick it up. You'll need your passport, ARC and $100. Saves one trip at least!

For the British criminal record check, once you receive the document from the police force, you need to send to the FCO to be authenticated before sending it to the Taipei Representative Office TRO (note - if you're in the north of England, you may need to send it to the Edinburgh TRO). Also there's a confusing bit on the TRO site where it talks about translations, you don't need to translate the criminal record. You do that when the document comes to Taiwan.

FCO site - http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/about-us/what- ... alisation/

TRO site - http://www.roc-taiwan.org/uk/ct.asp?xIt ... p=132&xp1=
spunkymonkey

Postby Enigma » Thu Oct 11, 2012 22:46

The compendium has been updated to include information regarding a situation where no employer is deducting and paying your health insurance, as retirement, unemployment for more than 30 days and self employed such as private tutor at your home. See No. 13 and other updates, also in bold(in bold).
My true measure of a man is to what degree he agrees with me. My true measure of a woman is to what degree she disagrees with me.

These users gave kudos to the author Enigma for the post (total 2):
Just Jennifer (Wed Nov 07, 2012 13:02) • Mrthumb (Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:39)
Enigma
Taiwanease Gentry

Re: A Consolidated Compendium of APRC Procedures UPDATED Oct

Postby Enigma » Mon Oct 15, 2012 16:15

For minimum income to apply for JFRV, it is my understanding, no proof, that it is family income for JFRV that counts. Thus your legal husband's income would count. I doubt that his income would count for APRC, but again, I'm speculating. Go to immigration and ask.
Enigma
Taiwanease Gentry

Re: A Consolidated Compendium of APRC Procedures UPDATED 2/3

Postby Enigma » Mon Oct 15, 2012 16:52

Just Jennifer wrote:Thanks for this very helpful topic!

Is the procedure the same if I'm married to an ROC national? I have an ARC based on marriage and not employment so is there something else that I submit, like the household registry? WRT to taxes, I'm pretty sure we file jointly (I give him earnings statements and he does whatever needs to be done with them) so I would submit our most recent one, correct?

Off topic but what is the cut off date for filing tax returns here?

I would suggest getting an APRC. Crap happens and when divorced or in the terrible event of death, you are left with few options. In my humble opinion a Joining Family residency is not worth the paper it is written on. Go protect yourself with an APRC. JMHO.
Enigma
Taiwanease Gentry

Re: A Consolidated Compendium of APRC Procedures UPDATED 2/3

Postby Anonymous » Mon Oct 15, 2012 17:44

Enigma wrote:I would suggest getting an APRC. Crap happens and when divorced or in the terrible event of death, you are left with few options. In my humble opinion a Joining Family residency is not worth the paper it is written on. Go protect yourself with an APRC. JMHO.

I'd still wait a bit with applying, they are relaxing a bunch of stuff in regards to the required documents but it isn't totally ratified yet.
And yes, if you lived here for five or more years APRC is the very correct path after having the JFRV.
PS. I don't know of any case where a JRFV person was "kicked out" when the partner died.
Anonymous

Postby Enigma » Tue Oct 16, 2012 16:29

Does anyone have an update on the proposed law to allow those foreigner married to a national citizen be allowed citizenship with passport eligibility? I have heard that the new law has been proposed but there are other hurdles to jump before it becomes law. IMHO, this a forward move for us married folks with APRC, even if the marriage law requires a period of time between marriage and application for citizenship. I cant give up my U.S. citizen status, and then become "statesless" as the law now states because it doesn't "feel right" and there is a possibility that I would lose my Social Security payments. If anyone hears some news about this, I am sure many would like to hear about it.
Enigma
Taiwanease Gentry

Postby Enigma » Sat Oct 27, 2012 15:37

Renewed Passport:
If you renew your passport, the new passport number will not be the same as on your APRC. Easy solution though. Just go back to the immigration office (check their website for new address because it's not on Minzu Rd anymore) Renew your APRC with correct passport number. Another passport photo, your new and old passport and fill out the forms. (I think 100 NT but I haven't done it yet but go prepared). As a side note for new folks; when you get your photo taken, ask for at least 12 or even 24 passport size photos. You'll eventually need them. It is doubtful that anyone will ask you about the discrepancy about passport numbers but if you are in a situation where you think it is important, take your cancelled passport also. BTW, once you have the new health card based upon no employer deducting and paying, it will still be valid because it is based on your ID number and not your passport number. Another side note: Once I had my APRC, I can't recall the last time I was asked for a passport unless travelling abroad. If asked at a bank, I just tell them that this isn't the airport and hand them my APRC. No dramas!
Enigma
Taiwanease Gentry

Postby channamasala » Sat Oct 27, 2012 19:54

So with this open work permit thing...

I now have an APRC. For the time being I'm keeping my current job, although I plan to drastically reduce my hours and take on freelance work. However, I still have a valid contract with them and they are deducting and paying my health and labor insurance (I made sure they got me lao bao). I assumed I still had a work permit through them, even though I no longer have the ARC it is based on.

Is that work permit still valid, and do I have to go get an open work permit ASAP? I intend to do so, but I just wonder if one has current employment and an old work permit if one needs to rush to do so? Or is this something I don't need to worry about until my old work permit expires or I quit, whichever comes first?

I will eventually quit, but plan to use them to my advantage for as long as it is profitable (I know that sounds stone cold, but if you knew these people you'd feel the same way).
"So it's true. You work with your FEEEEEEE-males. Arm them. YOU FORCE THEM TO WEAR CLOTHING! Sickening."
channamasala
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 138 times
Has gotten kudos: 193 times

Postby Enigma » Mon Oct 29, 2012 02:47

I really don't know. If you have a current work permit based upon your ARC, and gain an APRC, I think, just my opinion, that the work permit would continue. Again, I really don't know but I and others would like to know your experience with maintaining your WP that was established before acquisition of APRC. Please share.
Enigma
Taiwanease Gentry

PreviousNext

Return to Visa & Residency Issues in Taiwan