A Consolidated Compendium of APRC Proced. UPDATED Dec 12

ARCs, APRCs, JFRVs and a million other acronyms that you never thought you'd need to know about - until now. Find out what you need to know here.

Moderators: Eiger John, EigerMarcus

Forum rules
Taiwanease is pleased to have the legal forums moderated by individuals from the upstanding legal firm Eiger Law. While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Taiwanease, the moderators and the Eiger Law firm cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Taiwanease provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and Eiger Law or any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Re: A Consolidated Compendium of APRC Procedures UPDATED 2/6

Postby rogue » Tue Feb 07, 2012 16:15

Jen I will check it out at immigration and let you know, I just read your post :oops:
rogue
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 0 time
Has gotten kudos: 2 times

Postby Enigma » Tue Feb 07, 2012 17:20

Rogue;
If you haven't asked about the income tax issue about a switch from JFRV to APRC, another issue that has been inquired about is if a divore or death occurs to/with your Taiwan spouse, is the residency limitation indefinate or limited to one year with possibility of extension. I checked the local English stuff on Immigration website and on google. Not much there and what can be found is outdated. Another issue that comes to mind is that if your Taiwan spouse dies and you have children born in Taiwan, does a JFRV holder, who would perhaps have to leave at some point, reapply for a new JFRV to join his/her children and then the income thing comes up again along with the issue of deciding to apply for an APRC instead of JFRV. Does the 5 year unbroken time limit issue come up?
My true measure of a man is to what degree he agrees with me. My true measure of a woman is to what degree she disagrees with me.
Enigma
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 29 times
Has gotten kudos: 22 times

Postby rogue » Wed Feb 08, 2012 15:44

Thanks Enigma I will also check that out.
rogue
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 0 time
Has gotten kudos: 2 times

Re: A Consolidated Compendium of APRC Procedures UPDATED 2/1

Postby Enigma » Tue Feb 14, 2012 04:59

Post 1 APRC compendium updated - A couple new points for those that are watching.
My true measure of a man is to what degree he agrees with me. My true measure of a woman is to what degree she disagrees with me.
Enigma
Taiwanease Gentry

Re: A Consolidated Compendium of APRC Procedures5UPDATED 2/1

Postby cubewarrior » Wed Feb 15, 2012 09:47

I've been checking around to try and find out details of the UK police certificate scheme; seems the certificates are issued by the Association of Chief Police Officers Criminal Records Office (ACRO for short), their website is here;

http://www.acro.police.uk/police_certificates.aspx

The forms are downloadable but CANNOT be submitted electronically, snail mail or courier I'm afraid, I will be calling ACRO within the next few days and will report back if there are any 'overseas' application request issues.

All the requirements are listed on the website including the cost (35UKP for standard service of 10 days). There is however a small hiccup, this is a new process (07-Nov-2011) and has only been approved for use in certain countries, Taiwan of course not being one of them. Will need a trip to the Taiwan Immigration office to check if the new forms are acceptable and that the required questions meet Taiwan process. ACRO also happen to produce the forms in Chinese, so might avoid the translation requirement, again will need to check.

EDIT: Quick update on the Chinese version of the application form, it can't be used here in Taiwan as its written in Cantonese and as such cannot be used for 'official' documentation. So no saving on translation fee's.

Still waiting for email response from ACRO UK, damned near impossible to get through on the phone.

ANOTHER EDIT: This just in from ACRO UK
You will need to apply for a Subject Access request for Taiwan.

The ACPO Criminal Records Office (ACRO) provides Subject Access disclosures on behalf of most police forces in England, Wales, Northern Ireland, Jersey and the Isle of Man.

There is a £10 charge for this service and the fee includes standard postage to UK addresses or airmail to overseas addresses.

Processing your application can take up to 40 days from the date it is received so please ensure you allow sufficient time for your application to be processed.

For further information on Subject Access and details of how to make an application please use the below link:

http://www.acro.police.uk/subject_access.aspx

You can also find information about how to apply on your local police force’s website. If not living in the UK the Police Force you would need to contact would be the one with authority over the area where you last lived within the UK

And true to their word, all the details are obtainable on the aforementioned url, here is an example for the police jusidiction covering my old stamping grounds...

http://www.bedfordshire.police.uk/about_us/access_to_information/data_protection/subject_access.aspx

now just got to get something out of TECO (London office).
Nil illegitimi carborundum
He's more to be pitied than scolded I can tell you - The Big Yin
cubewarrior
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 5 times
Has gotten kudos: 25 times

Postby Enigma » Wed Feb 15, 2012 19:20

Thanks for that. I am a bit dissapointed about the lack of British procedures because I know that there are many who have done this and they really should share the procedure and the issues that may have come up during their efforts.
Enigma
Taiwanease Gentry

Postby cubewarrior » Fri Feb 17, 2012 23:09

Have added an EDIT/UPDATE to my previous post about UK police certificates if anyone wants to go back and check....
Nil illegitimi carborundum
He's more to be pitied than scolded I can tell you - The Big Yin

These users gave kudos to the author cubewarrior for the post:
Enigma (Wed Oct 31, 2012 20:29)
cubewarrior
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 5 times
Has gotten kudos: 25 times

Postby Enigma » Sat Feb 18, 2012 03:39

Thanks for that. According to what you post, some is still a little unknown. Anyway, I'll up date this on a more sober moment.
Enigma
Taiwanease Gentry

Postby Bubba 2 Guns » Sat Feb 18, 2012 21:30

I've been trying to get my PARC but I've overstayed a week last year due to a communication error with my former employer who failed to renew my work contract. Last week I went to immigration and they were very nice but told me that I'd have to wait until 2015 to apply.

They asked the director of Immigration and I waited for 3 and a half hours while they reviewed my case. On April 15th, 2012 I'll count my 21st year here in Taiwan. I've lived here almost as long as I did back home. I can't tell you how deeply disappointed I was when receiving this news. If this is how Taiwan views its foreign residents than I have to be grateful to the Immigration for helping me to make the decision of leaving Taiwan.
Bubba 2 Guns
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 6 times
Has gotten kudos: 20 times

Postby jimipresley » Sat Feb 18, 2012 22:32

Bubba: I lived here for 7 years. Overstayed on my 6th year. Because I had stayed for 5 consecutive years prior to that I was legit for APRC. If you're having problems, PM me. The wife did the shit for me. It was painless.

I'm sure she could do the same for a friend. :bow:
Do you ever listen to yourself? - maoman

How clever of you to take an orange and a dog biscuit and build a time machine. - Bunks

Some countries cultivate vast populations of idiots for the purpose of maintaining sham democracies. - Toad
jimipresley
Taiwanease Deity

Has given kudos: 2409 times
Has gotten kudos: 1389 times

Postby cfimages » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:30

Here's how to do a criminal record check for Australia. I did this in 2009 for a JFRV but the actual check is the same for APRC

1. Get fingerprints done at the NIA. For Taipei city, it's in the basement of the NIA office and costs NT$100.
2. Checks need to be done from the Australian Federal Police not state police. To see what documents, fees etc required go to http://www.afp.gov.au/what-we-do/police ... hecks.aspx
3. I used my mother as a proxy for mailing. It saves a lot of hassle if you have someone to do this for you. I sent fingerprints and all documents from the link above to her.
4. She sent it on to the AFP along with a check for the fee.
5. It takes about 30 days for the results which got sent back to my Mum.
6. She then took it all to the TECO closest to her. They required an authorization form signed by me before they could certify it, and told her where I could download it from. I filled it in and faxed it to the TECO. Note that she didn't need to wait - they accepted it but wouldn't start the process until they got the fax from me.
7. 2-3 days later they sent it back to my mum and she sent it on to me here in Taiwan.
8. I had it translated and notarized by a service here that took a couple of days.
cfimages
Taiwanease Royalty

Has given kudos: 649 times
Has gotten kudos: 864 times

Postby Enigma » Sun Feb 19, 2012 20:11

Enigma wrote:Thanks for that . . . I'll update this on a more sober moment.

Someday soon there will (may be) be one of those moments. But, again, thanks.
Enigma
Taiwanease Gentry

Re: A Consolidated Compendium of APRC Procedures UPDATED 2/1

Postby Enigma » Sun Feb 19, 2012 21:26

Update for Australia is done, so if it concerns you, go to post number 1 to get the latest. (See? I actually get semi-sober occasionally) Still working on the UK thing but sobriety brings reality, so . . . . . soon.)
Enigma
Taiwanease Gentry

Re: A Consolidated Compendium of APRC Procedures UPDATED 3/1

Postby Enigma » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:06

Update for UK is now included in the Compendium at post 1. Any additional information/corrections please?
Enigma
Taiwanease Gentry

Re: A Consolidated Compendium of APRC Procedures UPDATED 3/1

Postby channamasala » Mon May 21, 2012 17:11

Here's a quick question - I have all my past tax returns (even though I don't technically need them now), and all my old work permits, but some are not originals. Do I need original work permits for all my previous years or just the current one? This post makes it look like I just need the current one, but the form I got from Immigration a few months ago - which is very unclear in some areas but quite clear in this one - says I need "past five years". Which I have, but as I said, some are copies. I have no idea where the originals ended up.

If I do - and I sure hope I don't - can I get those somewhere from gov't records?
"So it's true. You work with your FEEEEEEE-males. Arm them. YOU FORCE THEM TO WEAR CLOTHING! Sickening."
channamasala
Taiwanease Gentry

Has given kudos: 138 times
Has gotten kudos: 193 times

PreviousNext

Return to Visa & Residency Issues in Taiwan